Tire / carbon rim compatibility advice please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

picshooter

by picshooter

I am trying to determine the tire / rim compatibility between these wheels https://btlos.com/road-bike/40mm-depth- ... oad-wheels
Particularly when using Continental 4000Sll (tube )tires with the square rim hook design of this wheelset From reading Continental’s 4000Sll instructions it looks like this type of rim hook should be avoided.
I plan to eventually run them tubeless with TLR tires, but until then I am trying to determine if the 4000’s will safely work.

Can someone speak from experience? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

That's a pretty typical hook design, shouldn't be any reason why you can't run the 4000s with it. What exactly does the Continental instructions warn about?

picshooter

by picshooter

I thought it would be OK too, but then started reading Continental's instructions and looking at the illustration in the instructions.
Here: https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www ... n-data.pdf

stevesbike

by stevesbike

The picture of the rim is just a schematic - most show a hook bead like that. Conti is warning against the hook bead having too sharp an edge that could cut the tire - this isn't specific to Conti but is a generic property of clincher and carbon rims and the radius of the hook. Some of this issue may be due to design but I've also had an issue that was a warranty one due to a rim (major manufacturer) that misses a QC step in production. Often the hook bead will be smoothed after coming out of a mold to make sure there's no sharp edges. This is one reason for hookless rims though are limited by psi.

related thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=159375

snaxez

by snaxez

That picture is marked with number 8, and it`s writen there to check with a finger if the edge is not sharp.
If the edge is ok to touch with a finger, then should be fine.

Carbon is a fantastic material for lightweight products. Its processing is, however, highly time-consuming. In addition, the use of carbon in real-life riding entails limits with regard to the brake performance (see above).In the case of carbon clincher rims there is the risk that the tyre edge is slit open by the sharp-edged design of the rim flange.8 Therefore, before mounting, check that the hook of the rim is round. Take the aluminium hook edge type rim of a renowned manufacturer as reference.Move your finger carefully along both flanges of your wheels. You should not feel any extremely rough or sharp-edged areas. Replace critical rims to be on the safe side. If you are in doubt, seek an experienced bicycle dealer for advice.Sharp-edged rim flanges of carbon rims can slit open the tyre side. This increases the risk of an accident with unforeseeable consequences.