Farsports Kaze wheelset delaminated or brake residue?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vanbobo

by vanbobo

Hello everyone, just want to get some thoughts of those sighs on brake tracks.
I found those signs after purchased 2 months and about 1000km, i was told by Farsports thats caused by brake pads and would be faded out by daily ride.
But after half a year, more than 3000 km now, the sign still here and i am thinking if the wheelset was delaminated. Many short climb here but never had big decents though.
IMG_20210417_115534.jpg
IMG_20210417_115512.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MaxPower

by MaxPower

I don´t think you could ride it for 2000km if it was delaminated?!?

Delamination should give you other signs - brake puls, visual delamination/deformation of the area, fiber destruction etc. If it was heat delamination i would expect the grooves to be gone/destroyed in that area.
Any other signs than the visual discoloration?

Have these rims as both grooved and non-grooved. what pads do you use?

EDIT: If clincher and heat delamination - you typically see some deformation of the rim-shape caused by softening of the resin at very very high temperatures (these rims are pretty good at heat management and stability)

EDIT 2: Try cleaning them with Acetone and a lot of hand-work to remove brake pad residue and take a look again.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Looks like cork based pad residue that has glazed over. Try a different pad.

When the brake tracks glaze over like that, braking is quite awful. Clean with alcohol. Swap pads.

vanbobo

by vanbobo

Thanks for your suggestion.
I tried clean it with degreaser but seems useless. I will try Acetone later.
I am using the pads that came with the wheelset, also bought some Prime pads to try later.

frimd

by frimd

vanbobo wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:17 am
Thanks for your suggestion.
I tried clean it with degreaser but seems useless. I will try Acetone later.
I am using the pads that came with the wheelset, also bought some Prime pads to try later.
How then did you solve this problem?
This is probably only visually or were these the remnants of the brake pads?
Are the wheelset still in use? :)

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

I also have this 'brownish' effect, mostly on my rear kaze wheel. I noticed a severe drop off in braking performance. After some cleaning(not with acetone tho, just water), I got some performance back, but it's not perfect. I'll try with acetone as well this weekend and report back here. I use Reynolds CryoBlue pads, which have been excellent for the most part in combination with these rims. Front wheel brakes like a dream. Front wheel also has this colour, although a bit less severe, but I didn't notice any performance difference. Structurally everything is still perfect.

I suspect the colour will never fully go away, which is a shame since the wheels & bike are matte black

Orlok

by Orlok

vanbobo wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:18 am
Hello everyone, just want to get some thoughts of those sighs on brake tracks.
I found those signs after purchased 2 months and about 1000km, i was told by Farsports thats caused by brake pads and would be faded out by daily ride.
But after half a year, more than 3000 km now, the sign still here and i am thinking if the wheelset was delaminated. Many short climb here but never had big decents though.
IMG_20210417_115534.jpg
IMG_20210417_115512.jpg
That's not delaminated but looks to me like the wheels were build with glasfiber, aramide or kevlar and not carbon and only the outside of the rims are made with carbon. :roll:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

frimd

by frimd

Answer from Farsport -->

Problem: Yellow/brown tracks on the brake area
(picture_1)

When braking to high temperature ,the brake pads was melt and rubber residues are left on brake track . Our wheels with high temperature durable and good braking performance. so high request for the brake pads is necessary, The brake pads also need high temperature durable to match it. If not, when we have little yellow brown tracks, normally it won’t effect the braking performance, But if it is too much , it will effect braking even cause squealing when you brake. we would like to suggest use 3M scotch-brite to wipe it.
(picture_2)

Or you can choose brake pads of Swissstop black prince EVO, better than yellow one after our testing
Here is the photo of braking area after 4KM braking continuously .
(picture_3)
Attachments
Slika1.png
Slika2.png
Slika3.png

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

While I appreciate their answer, the english really leaves room for interpretation.

What I infer is that they're trying to blame brake pads not being able to cope with high temperatures?

nickf

by nickf

My wheels look the same. I used the supplied pads and black prince pads. Might try the 3M pads to clean them up a bit. They stop just as well as they did when new, no noise. Never really thought about it until this post.

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

Delete

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com