DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

BadBoyR wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:12 am
They were meant to get the parts this week, but since I never heard back from them I don’t think they have them. I’m only sending my wheel once they have them in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah thats what they told me, surely they have some shipment details and tracking information on the parts being sent to them, rather than "we're hoping to get them this week"

I hope we're not being fobbed off...

Nick38

by Nick38

WizzyBob wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:07 am
It's been over 3 weeks now since I sent my wheel back to the UK service centre, I'll be honest my patience is starting to wear a bit thin now, I have a brand new bike I can not use because of this.
If this carries on I'm gonna have to think about hiring a rear wheel so I can at least use the bike
Exactly why I won't be sending my wheels anywhere regardless of parts being available or not!!

Hope it gets sorted for you WizzyBob

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

Nick38 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:26 am

Exactly why I won't be sending my wheels anywhere regardless of parts being available or not!!

Hope it gets sorted for you WizzyBob
Cheers!

For me it doesn't really matter if I have the wheel or not, because I had a complete loss of engagement I wouldn't risk riding it again until it was fixed.

It's just getting frustrating now as to when they are going to do it, as initially somebody at dt swiss customer services said the UK service centre would have the parts from them in the next few days, this was on the 23rd Apri, we're on the 8th of may now and by the sounds of it they still don't have them.
If theres a shortage and they can't supply all the service centres they need to be honest about it, at least then people like me can try and make other arrangements

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Two in, one ok, one f**ked.

Pics of knackered one.
Attachments
F20775CF-A6F6-4E92-AD47-358BC6FA7C4F.jpeg
51E8E928-FB11-4CD3-B906-07FC568BF6EE.jpeg
C8BE61DD-9691-48C7-A7F1-487A9D18D1CB.jpeg
0F6CD7C3-34D9-404C-894B-1D7D22D5BDFE.jpeg
E12ADAF9-71F4-4C18-8DED-37FBC7E51E0F.jpeg
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

disq

by disq

From what I gather if you don't ride the "0-series" wheels at all, you won't risk damaging the fixed ratchet, and you can swap the moving ratchet and freehub body yourself using the kit they'll send out... I hope.

My wheels are still yet to arrive but I've sent a preemptive email to the UK distributor (Madison) and they pretty much confirmed this. I still have my doubts about it (fixed ratchet being OK production-wise) though, I guess we'll see as I don't really want to send my wheels unless they fail anyway.

Edit: s/wheels/rear wheel (I'm riding that front bad boy the minute it comes in)

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

ryanw wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:11 am
Two in, one ok, one f**ked.

Pics of knackered one.
If you have the fixed ratchet removal tool can you get the bearing off with something other than the offical tool?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

My retrofit kit arrive today. The grease they sent is the red grease. I'm not sure if the 'increased surface finish quality' pertains to the rachet, the freehub, or both. Or it's possible that what DT Swiss refers to as 'surface quality' is actually the hardness of the material. In that case the old and new parts will likely appear identical but the material itself (or surface/heat treatment) will be different. I will be cleaning up my wheels today and perhaps after a deep clean I can better do a side-by-side comparison of the furface finish quality.

sethjs

by sethjs

FYI I got my warrantied wheel back. To the question of the freewheeling noise, pre update I had the same "in and out" buzz others have described. Post update, it's just all pure buzz when freewheeling.

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

sethjs wrote:FYI I got my warrantied wheel back. To the question of the freewheeling noise, pre update I had the same "in and out" buzz others have described. Post update, it's just all pure buzz when freewheeling.

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

pdlpsher1 wrote:My retrofit kit arrive today. The grease they sent is the red grease. I'm not sure if the 'increased surface finish quality' pertains to the rachet, the freehub, or both. Or it's possible that what DT Swiss refers to as 'surface quality' is actually the hardness of the material. In that case the old and new parts will likely appear identical but the material itself (or surface/heat treatment) will be different. I will be cleaning up my wheels today and perhaps after a deep clean I can better do a side-by-side comparison of the furface finish quality.

Did you not get replacement springs?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

BadBoyR wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:13 pm
No, I didn't. I don't think the spring is part of the issue, nor is the fixed rachet inside the hub.

MattMay

by MattMay

Me as well...no replacement springs needed it seems...email note from DT Swiss was “be sure to snag springs, washer and spacer from your hubs for reuse.”

Addict15

by Addict15

How long did it take for the replacement parts to arrive?

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

pdlpsher1 wrote:
BadBoyR wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:13 pm
No, I didn't. I don't think the spring is part of the issue, nor is the fixed rachet inside the hub.
UK service centre said these were the parts to be sent out.

Parts are:

Replacement freehub body

Replacement ratchet and spring

Replacement threaded ratchet

Special Grease

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

DT Swiss is located within the state I live in. They shipped it on Friday and I received it on Monday.

Here's an update. I cleaned everything on my wheel, the one with 300 miles ridden. There's no sign of heavy wear on any parts. However when I do a test by sliding the moving rachet inside the freehub there's definitely a difference between the new vs. old. The new one slides in/out smoother while on the old one I could feel more friction when sliding it laterally. The test was done without grease. As far as I can tell the freehubs are the same but the rachet has a different appearance. The new one is shinier and the old one is dull. In the pics below the new parts are on the right and the old parts on the left. I also found a serial/batch number laser etched onto the back side of the rachet. The new rachet has / 014 vs. the old one has / 207. Lastly I also found some red grease inside. I think the grease starts out as red and then changes to grey.