DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
haze513

by haze513

Anyone else experienced this?

Few miles into today's road ride and I get total loss of engagement in the freehub resulting in a call home for a pick up.

Get home, remove the cassette to take a look and everything is working again.

Little over 1000km on this hub...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Normally its too much grease/ wrong grease problem after servicing them that causes the 2 gears to "hydraulic" themselves apart.
Official cafe stop tester

haze513

by haze513

Not too familiar with how the ratchet system works yet, early days using it.

So does the ratchet engage and disengage via the spring...if some additional grease found its way in there (off the splines for example) could that cause the ring to stick preventing re-engagement?

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

jekyll man wrote:Normally its too much grease/ wrong grease problem after servicing them that causes the 2 gears to "hydraulic" themselves apart.
This! I had the same issue with a new xdr hub mounted on new wheels. When I tried to remove the protective covers off the axle the hub came off, so I thought I’d pack it with grease. It wouldn’t engage so I took it apart and reassembled a couple of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haze513

by haze513

It's a new hub and not had any grease added, I did apply a tiny bit of chain lube on the splines but just checked and there doesn't appear to be an excessive amount of grease in the assembly.

Also if I get caught out again, is it possible to remove the freehub with cassette attached?

Assume this would gain me access to free the ring and hopefully get moving again...

jas0nt

by jas0nt

Known issue with early production batches.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/dtswiss-24 ... m.1158241/

If it keeps happening, put a warranty claim in.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I read the last two pages of the provided link and now I'm getting worried. I have two sets of wheels with the EXP hubs. My wheels were built in Feb. and who knows if mine are affected by the defect. It looks like the entire hub will need to be replaced so a wheel with the defective hub has to be shipped to a service provider to be rebuilt. What a pain. Keeping my fingers crossed that mine are not affected.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

known issue.

DT Swiss should just do a recall on this.

It's actually *f##k* dangerous. Imagine crossing the road halfway and the hubs wouldn't engage.

EDIT: Sold 10+ EXP units here from where I'm from and right now one of the DT180s have that issue. (+_+)" I'm worried about the other units.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Agreed on the danger and the need for a recall. When a recall is issued they provide the affected serial numbers. Right now I have no idea if mine are affected by it. Someone on the MTBR forum said his wheels were received in Dec. from LB and his was defective. Mine was built by LB sometime in Feb. and received in Mar. Keeping my fingers crossed.

jas0nt

by jas0nt

TBH it put me off DT Swiss for my new LB build. Why take chances on it when there are so many other proven hubs out there as an option.

haze513

by haze513

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:34 am
Agreed on the danger and the need for a recall. When a recall is issued they provide the affected serial numbers. Right now I have no idea if mine are affected by it. Someone on the MTBR forum said his wheels were received in Dec. from LB and his was defective. Mine was built by LB sometime in Feb. and received in Mar. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Mine were from LB, almost exactly the same time for the build so it's a fair bet my hubs are from the same batch.

I'll drop DT a line and see what comes back, hopefully it's a swap job on the internals rather than a full hub change.

Jas0nt, thanks for the link.

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

My hub is on a set of new roval rapides, could it be the xdr driver that was installed the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haze513

by haze513

Not XDR here, Shimano 11sp

rides4beer

by rides4beer

haze513 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:57 pm
It's a new hub and not had any grease added, I did apply a tiny bit of chain lube on the splines but just checked and there doesn't appear to be an excessive amount of grease in the assembly.

Also if I get caught out again, is it possible to remove the freehub with cassette attached?

Assume this would gain me access to free the ring and hopefully get moving again...
Yes, the freehub and cassette will just pull off together with no tools needed, should be able to do it on the roadside and get rolling again. :thumbup:

I have a set of LB wheels on the way with DT240 EXP hubs, I'll def keep an eye on them.

haze513

by haze513

Sweet, cheers...just tried and it was easy enough, hopefully no more waiting around freezing my nuts off 30 odd miles from home!

Hope DT sort something though, confidence is a bit low in these at the minute

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com