DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

Not sure if anyone else experiencing the ratchet going quiet while free spinning, it’s noisy to begin with then goes dead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DOUG

by DOUG

I had this issue as well, I'd imagine the disengagement problem is related.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Has anyone taken theirs apart had inspected the ratchets? I was doing some maintenance today and pulled it apart...there appears to be some wear/notching happening on the outtter fingers of the floating ratchet.

Roval Rapides with ~1k miles on them, so I'd expect them to pretty pristine looking. No engagement issues, but since it sounds like a finishing issue with some of the ratchets, I'm wondering if this is a sign of it being one of the bad ones?

Fixed ratchet, and freehub look perfect

_P2A8943.jpg

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

BadBoyR wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:48 pm
Nick38 wrote:
BadBoyR wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:45 am
Nick38 wrote:^^^This^^^ would be a much better option, DT Swiss sending out the replacement parts IMO! It's been a week now and I've still not heard anything since they said they would notify my local service centre :noidea:
Was it the UK service centre?

Yeah, googled it and only one that came up was Milton Keynes!!
I contacted dt Swiss via their web form and they replied cc’ing madison in the UK who have not responded.

I’ve went back via the original email, hopefully they will push them.

I had an e-mail from them last thursday, they are still waiting for the replacement freehub bodies from dt swiss, they said its looking like next week

Marin

by Marin

This issue has already kept me from buying DT Swiss for now.

I bought 2 sets with 240 EXP, one of which has experienced the problem already, and I now have to deal with getting the hubs services at the beginnig of the season, which is extremely annoying.

I just ordered a new set from the same vendor, but have decided to go with Novatec instead of DT 350.

I have 5 or 6 wheelsets with Novatec and have never had any problems beyond having to replace bearings after a while.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

350 is not affected by the issue since it uses the traditional double moving rachet arrangement. The EXP issue is specific to the EXP. The issue arose due to one rachet being fixed inside the hub shell while the second rachet is the only rachet that moves laterally. The updated 350 is appealing due to a number of upgrades over the previous 350, most notably weight reduction and a standard 36 tooth rachet (upgraded from 18). The updated 350 is supposedly lighter than the pre-EXP 240. On my next wheelset I might go for the 350. One advantage DT Swiss has over other hub brand is freehub upgradability (Microspline, XD, XD-R, etc.)

Nick38

by Nick38

Just had this reply from DT Swiss service centre UK

"Hi Nick,

Thanks for getting in touch.

From what I understand you've not experienced any issues with hub engagement so far with your wheels?

We can treat your case with a bit of patience then if that’s ok with you?

We will still look to replace the internals for you and service the hub at the same time if you’re happy for us to do so?

We are still waiting on replacement freehub body's and should have them by the end of this week. Would you like us to contact you once we have them and arrange to get your wheel back on send the parts to you?

Kind Regards,

Dean Scott
DT Swiss Service team"

Seems fair enough, going to give me the option of sending parts out to me which makes sense I reckon :D :D

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

Swift responses from UK centre today post Bank holiday. I am opting to have my wheel sent to them so that they can replace both internal and external hub parts. My wheels are new and have done just shy of 90 miles, but I am not confident that only half the hub is rectified as I am experiencing loss of ratchet noise when freewheeling.

Nick38

by Nick38

I'm definitely not keen on posting my wheels, a Roval CLX Rapide and a CLX Alpinist both only 6 months old and no issues to speak of, they just replied again saying they'll send the parts out. I'm tempted to buy the tool myself so I can service them fully in the future, don't trust anyone with my babies :mrgreen:

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

Nick38 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:29 am
I'm definitely not keen on posting my wheels, a Roval CLX Rapide and a CLX Alpinist both only 6 months old and no issues to speak of, they just replied again saying they'll send the parts out. I'm tempted to buy the tool myself so I can service them fully in the future, don't trust anyone with my babies :mrgreen:
True, but they are only sending out the floating ratchet and freehub.

Nick38

by Nick38

They have said I'll need the correct tool so it I assume they're sending out all the components!

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

Nick38 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:43 am
They have said I'll need the correct tool so it I assume they're sending out all the components!
I asked Dean the question.

"It’s the floating ratchet and freehub body but we do also recommend that the threaded ratchet (fixed) is replaced if the wheel has had a fair amount of use."

I have emailed them to be sure.

From their online video, you need the tool to unscrew the fixed part, am I correct as I have never done this before?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/dt-sw ... hbdt8387s/

Nick38

by Nick38

Yeah you'd think it would be both ratchets as they wear against each other, his reply to me suggests it is as the tool is needed to remove the threaded ratchet

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

Nick38 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:48 am
Yeah you'd think it would be both ratchets as they wear against each other, his reply to me suggests it is as the tool is needed to remove the threaded ratchet
Can;t find the tool in stock and its not cheap considering they are sending parts out. I got spesh concept store to enquire about this issue and they were told to just contact dt swiss and that they will send the parts out, they should really be sending the tool out also.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

Nick38 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:48 am
Yes, they send out everything other than the tool :noidea: