DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Marin

by Marin

gSporco wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:50 pm
I know its unfortuante, and I agree its super loud.. I find myself slowly pedaling on steep decents to not hear it, where on my other wheels I would cost.. I will say the road side animals do run away though.. so thats a bonus
Thanks.

It's louder than my Hope Pro Evo II (!!!)

I also pedal on descents to silence it. I should have used it for a road wheelset, way too loud for riding in the woods :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gSporco

by gSporco

Marin wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:57 am
gSporco wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:50 pm
I know its unfortuante, and I agree its super loud.. I find myself slowly pedaling on steep decents to not hear it, where on my other wheels I would cost.. I will say the road side animals do run away though.. so thats a bonus
Thanks.

It's louder than my Hope Pro Evo II (!!!)

I also pedal on descents to silence it. I should have used it for a road wheelset, way too loud for riding in the woods :(
I thought the I9 Torch hubs were loud, but the DT EXP takes the cake for the loudest hubs lol
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

jadedaid

by jadedaid

rides4beer wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:20 pm
Got the odd sound again yesterday during a wet ride (not raining, just roads still wet from overnight rain). No engagement issues, just a creaking/grinding sound when pedaling. I haven't pulled it apart yet (it was a seven hour ride, so I just put the bike up, I'll clean/service it today). But I've never had any issues with water with my 350 hubs, rain, washing the bike, no problems. Now twice, once rinsing the bike off, and no with wet roads, I wonder if there's a seal issue allowing water to get in? Anyone else have this problem?
I've got these hubs on a pair of Rovals, and they don't handle the wet well at all. Need to regrease them every 2 wet rides basically. I got the DT hubs specifically because I was tired of the maintenance required on my CK wheels so this kinda blows...

SLH

by SLH

I noticed that DT Swiss recommends 25mm tires for my ARC 1100 DB 50s and I'm wondering if this recommendation is something to follow to the letter, or could I go to 28mm without any trouble?
Look 795 Blade RS
Sram Red AXS
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 50

DOUG

by DOUG

DOUG wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:13 pm
Yeah they require them bothe to be removed, the cassette i can understand but the tyre is a bit annoying for those running tubeless. And no the bike shop was not reimbursed for the freight so i had to sort them out to the tune of about $50. I honestly couldnt be bothered chasing the distributor for it, pretty poor form If you ask me.

Anyway my rather stern email has illicited some action, rather than send the entire wheel back to them I figure we might as well try a different freehub body and see if that resolves the issue. At the very least it will tell us that the problem is not the freehub, if it resolves the issue then io dont need to send the wheel off again. So i have a new Exp freehub installed, will take it out this weekend and see how it goes. Fingers crossed it was just some weird tolerance issue causing the creaks/cracking noise.
Update on this, haven't done a whole lot of riding in recent weeks but have put in 300km or so on the new freehub and the crackng/creaking sound has not returned. Obviously only early days but the previous freehub started creaking within about 10km of riding so its a good sign that this is now resolved.

I dont know what the cause the creaking sound was but I suspect it must have been either some sort of tolerance issue between the spline in the freehub and the corresponding spline on the floating ratchet or perhaps the freehub bearing moving in the freehub.This is little more than an educated guess though and of course the problem may return in the future. OPnyl thing left to consider is whether or not i keep the wheels or sell them now before they cause any more problems for me.

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

SLH wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:56 pm
I noticed that DT Swiss recommends 25mm tires for my ARC 1100 DB 50s and I'm wondering if this recommendation is something to follow to the letter, or could I go to 28mm without any trouble?
28mm will be fine, the 25mm will be recommended for aerodynamics

If you watch this video from swiss side (the same rim) they suggest a 28mm on the rear for comfort and a 25mm front

SLH

by SLH

WizzyBob wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:27 am
SLH wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:56 pm
28mm will be fine, the 25mm will be recommended for aerodynamics

If you watch this video from swiss side (the same rim) they suggest a 28mm on the rear for comfort and a 25mm front

Thanks for that. I had a feeling this would be the case.
Look 795 Blade RS
Sram Red AXS
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 50

velomane

by velomane

Just got my FarSports wheels. The 240 hubs fall into the safe batch category. We shall see.

Marin

by Marin

I greased the ratchet on my upgraded 240s and the noise is bearable now. Will try even more or thicker grease soon.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

DT Swiss advises not to put too much grease, nor changing the red grease to a different kind of grease. Too much or too thick of a grease will increase the possibility of the moving rachet not moving freely.

Marin

by Marin

I know. It's too loud though, I won't ride it with the factory noise level.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

jadedaid wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:41 am
rides4beer wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:20 pm
Got the odd sound again yesterday during a wet ride (not raining, just roads still wet from overnight rain). No engagement issues, just a creaking/grinding sound when pedaling. I haven't pulled it apart yet (it was a seven hour ride, so I just put the bike up, I'll clean/service it today). But I've never had any issues with water with my 350 hubs, rain, washing the bike, no problems. Now twice, once rinsing the bike off, and no with wet roads, I wonder if there's a seal issue allowing water to get in? Anyone else have this problem?
I've got these hubs on a pair of Rovals, and they don't handle the wet well at all. Need to regrease them every 2 wet rides basically. I got the DT hubs specifically because I was tired of the maintenance required on my CK wheels so this kinda blows...
What makes you think that regreasing is necessary?

sid700

by sid700

So...my story.
I bought 2 bikes for me and my girl with DT xrc 1501.
After 1 week both bikes started to creak! I spend around 200eur for PF bearings and ither stuff to identify the problem and at the i discovered that it must be the Ratchet.
I asked DT for know issues with EXP ratchet and they didn't say anything useful.
2 months later they release public statement with engagement problems with their exp Ratchet.
I did send both wheel's back to service because by the serial numbers my ratchet may be garbage.
Last week i got the wheels back and after 1 week of riding the damm sound returned on my GF bike. My bike is still silent for now..
Im going mad !
We spend 15k eur for new bikes and the big satisfaction you get when riding new bike is silent smooth ride...And DT took this away big time. The bikes creak as biggest garbage on the planet.
What wheel's should I buy?
They need to be light for XC riding, around 1300g...
And without any damm DT part!

Addict15

by Addict15

I wouldn’t jump to conclusions like that, did you grease up the thru axle and cassette for instance?
Last edited by Addict15 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sid700

by sid700

Yes ofc...
Im having truble since March and I was trying everything. I did put close attention to Thru axle, dereliur hanger(udh), Cassette, plastic washer between the cassette and freehub body...
Anyway, like I said.
When both wheel's returned from service the one from my GF started to creak after a week and my is for now silent. I then swaped the wheels and the wheel from my GF was creaking although mounted on my bike...
Both bikes are Orbea Oiz team...