DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Takeswood

by Takeswood

So, If I buy new DT240 EXP with "1" number on hub, normally I should not have any engagement problems with these hubs ?
We don't know if the solutions that DTswiss found work perfectly in fact, nobody here have a new rachet/spring replacement and have done significant mileage ?

Because I think it's the first batch cause enagement problem, since ratchet replacement maybe they work fine... :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

sid700 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:26 pm
The bikes creak as biggest garbage on the planet.
Creaking can come from the spokes

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I’m approaching 1,000 miles/1,600km on my 180s with the new star ratchet. Flawless engagement.

My only complaint is the sound. Much louder than my old 240s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haze513

by haze513

Takeswood wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:33 pm
So, If I buy new DT240 EXP with "1" number on hub, normally I should not have any engagement problems with these hubs ?
We don't know if the solutions that DTswiss found work perfectly in fact, nobody here have a new rachet/spring replacement and have done significant mileage ?

Because I think it's the first batch cause enagement problem, since ratchet replacement maybe they work fine... :noidea:
Depends on what you define as significant but I've put about 2500Km on mine since it was refurbished...it's been perfect, no issues at all 👌

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

I've done 5000km on the old ratchet, with no problems... So it's not every old style ratchet has issues.

Takeswood

by Takeswood

Thanks for your comeback !

Significant mileage = more or less 10 000km. But 5 000km of TwiggyForest it's fine.

I don't know if we have the percentage of 240 EXP fail in engagement of all retail hubs ? Because here we have often people who are not happy. Maybe it's quite biased you know

So your advice is : even with engagement problem forum and people are complaining about, I don't take enormous risk to buy 240 EXP ? And even if I had problems with hubs, DTswiss send me new ratchet and spring to correct the problem and probably they work fine after that.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

Takeswood wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:14 am

Significant mileage = more or less 10 000km. But 5 000km of TwiggyForest it's fine.

I don't know if we have the percentage of 240 EXP fail in engagement of all retail hubs ? Because here we have often people who are not happy. Maybe it's quite biased you know

So your advice is : even with engagement problem forum and people are complaining about, I don't take enormous risk to buy 240 EXP ? And even if I had problems with hubs, DTswiss send me new ratchet and spring to correct the problem and probably they work fine after that.
I would think post update you will be fine. I don't think there is a significant risk and DT Swiss will take care of you. Obviously even the original ratchet the risk is small but not insignificant, even if there is a 1% failure rate there would be a large number of failures due to how many units are in the field

Takeswood

by Takeswood

TwiggyForest wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:28 am
Takeswood wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:14 am

I would think post update you will be fine. I don't think there is a significant risk and DT Swiss will take care of you. Obviously even the original ratchet the risk is small but not insignificant, even if there is a 1% failure rate there would be a large number of failures due to how many units are in the field
Yes, that is what I think. Thank you :thumbup:

Lakal

by Lakal

I did over 6000km on the old ratchet without having problems.

NSWCruiser

by NSWCruiser

The engagement issue happens to my DT180s too. As I was riding, suddenly the rear hub lost traction. As I spin the crank, the rear wheel does not move along, litaerally free wheeling both sides. Have already contacted DT Swiss for further actions.

Edit: My hub has been running for around 5000 km. It is not a lot of mileagle. But not very few either.
2023 S-WORKS EPIC EVO
2024 S-WORKS TARMAC SL8

Retired
-------------
2022 Cervelo R5
2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6

Boooooo

by Boooooo

sid700 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:26 pm
So...my story.
I bought 2 bikes for me and my girl with DT xrc 1501.
After 1 week both bikes started to creak! I spend around 200eur for PF bearings and ither stuff to identify the problem and at the i discovered that it must be the Ratchet.
I asked DT for know issues with EXP ratchet and they didn't say anything useful.
2 months later they release public statement with engagement problems with their exp Ratchet.
I did send both wheel's back to service because by the serial numbers my ratchet may be garbage.
Last week i got the wheels back and after 1 week of riding the damm sound returned on my GF bike. My bike is still silent for now..
Im going mad !
We spend 15k eur for new bikes and the big satisfaction you get when riding new bike is silent smooth ride...And DT took this away big time. The bikes creak as biggest garbage on the planet.
What wheel's should I buy?
They need to be light for XC riding, around 1300g...
And without any damm DT part!
I know you hate now but take in consideration DT Swiss 350 updated version (nothing to do with updated 240): cheap, reliable. and weight almost like old 240

give a look at these
https://www.lightbicycle.com/carbon-mou ... -wheels/XC

jadedaid

by jadedaid

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:32 am
What makes you think that regreasing is necessary?
I got the waxing and waning hub noise again, which suggests something isn't quite right. Regreasing fixed it last time.

ghd

by ghd

First ride on my DT240 EXP with a serial number that should NOT be affected by the recurring issue (middle number is 119) but the freewheeling is completely silent :(
As soon as I stop pedalling i get some normal noise for less than a second and then it goes silent, like if the ratched is sticking into something. Any ideia what could cause this?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Nothing is wrong. After some miles the hub will get louder.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

ghd wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:13 am
First ride on my DT240 EXP with a serial number that should NOT be affected by the recurring issue (middle number is 119) but the freewheeling is completely silent :(
As soon as I stop pedalling i get some normal noise for less than a second and then it goes silent, like if the ratched is sticking into something. Any ideia what could cause this?
My wheels did this from new with no issues until I inspected and serviced them with the DT Swiss grease. Light Bicycle seemed to have built them with some kind of grey grease. I wish my hubs were quieter now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com