DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
gSporco

by gSporco

So I received my 240exp rear wheel back from DT Swiss.
Some observations:
1. free wheeling is very loud. When I originally had it, it was surprisingly quiet, low buzz
2. Using red grease as opposed to the clear/white grease that came originally

3. Shoult I be concerned: the freehub when pressed in has about .5m off bounce as if the spring tension is pushing the freehub outwards. With the cassette off I can push the freehub in and see it bounce or spring out ever si slightly. With the cassette installed I don't notice the freehub being able to move slightly inward

Is this normal?
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I don’t think that’s Normal. It didn’t happen to me. Perhaps the spring wasn’t straight. You can remove all parts and recheck assembly.

When I did mine I put just enough red grease. Mine was also louder than stock. Stock came with quite a bit of grease and it was much quieter. On my tube of red grease there was a warning that only put grease sparingly. Too much grease will cause the ratchet not to engage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gSporco

by gSporco

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:46 am
I don’t think that’s Normal. It didn’t happen to me. Perhaps the spring wasn’t straight. You can remove all parts and recheck assembly.

When I did mine I put just enough red grease. Mine was also louder than stock. Stock came with quite a bit of grease and it was much quieter. On my tube of red grease there was a warning that only put grease sparingly. Too much grease will cause the ratchet not to engage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didnt grease it or reassemble it. This is how it came back drom warranty repair
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

gSporco wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:15 am
Some observations:
1. free wheeling is very loud. When I originally had it, it was surprisingly quiet, low buzz

3. Shoult I be concerned: the freehub when pressed in has about .5m off bounce as if the spring tension is pushing the freehub outwards. With the cassette off I can push the freehub in and see it bounce or spring out ever si slightly. With the cassette installed I don't notice the freehub being able to move slightly inward

Is this normal?
The loundness is normal, if it's properly greased (aka not too much). You can add a little more, if you want to quiet it down a bit.

Check your end cap, and make sure that it is fully seated and snaps into place, as that's what actually holds the freehub in place. A light tap with a mallet might be needed.

gSporco

by gSporco

jmfreeman535 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:03 am
gSporco wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:15 am
Some observations:

Is this normal?
The loundness is normal, if it's properly greased (aka not too much). You can add a little more, if you want to quiet it down a bit.

Check your end cap, and make sure that it is fully seated and snaps into place, as that's what actually holds the freehub in place. A light tap with a mallet might be needed.
Just pulled it apart, and I believe you are right, the end cap holds it down. The spring seems much stronger than the last one which pushes the freehub out ever so slightly. But the end cap seems to pull it in nicely
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Bmcswiss

by Bmcswiss

Hi, for information, I've been at 1,300 kms since the repair (sending the wheel to a service centre) and it's always ok! :thumbup:

Addict15

by Addict15

Just received my new wheels from lightbicycle, built around 20th of april and was pleasantly surprised to see a 1 in the middle of the production code. I was already prepared to contact dt swiss, but it seems they've started rolling out the updated versions.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Oh nice! Mine was built in Feb. and has the '0'. Enjoy your new wheels.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

I can get a set Roval CLX Rapides discounted just now. Retailer has confirmed they have a centre '0' batch number so just weighing up what to do.
You'd think DT would recall all the potentially affected wheels from retailers as this must affect confidence in the product.
However, if I can negotiate a further discount I may still buy them, and contact DT Swiss before I use them, for a replacement ratchet.
Or just look at other wheelsets. Trouble is these Rovals and the new ARC 1100 tick all the boxes!
Decisions......

gSporco

by gSporco

BianchiDave wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:04 pm
I can get a set Roval CLX Rapides discounted just now. Retailer has confirmed they have a centre '0' batch number so just weighing up what to do.
You'd think DT would recall all the potentially affected wheels from retailers as this must affect confidence in the product.
However, if I can negotiate a further discount I may still buy them, and contact DT Swiss before I use them, for a replacement ratchet.
Or just look at other wheelsets. Trouble is these Rovals and the new ARC 1100 tick all the boxes!
Decisions......
Even though my custom built Zipps were brand new.. When I contacted DT Swiss, all I gave them was a serial number.. They did not ask for a recipt or proof of purchase. So I beleive this covers everyone who owns the effected hubs regardless of buying new or used.

WHat you could do to be safe is, prior to buying the wheels, take down the all the numbers off the rear hub, then via DT Swiss website file a claim.. You should get an email stating they will send you prepaid postage.. Then you know you will be covered

BTW, in the USA it was about 9 days from the day I shipped it out until I got it back.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

gSporco wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:48 pm
BianchiDave wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:04 pm
Decisions......
Even though my custom built Zipps were brand new.. When I contacted DT Swiss, all I gave them was a serial number.. They did not ask for a recipt or proof of purchase. So I beleive this covers everyone who owns the effected hubs regardless of buying new or used.

WHat you could do to be safe is, prior to buying the wheels, take down the all the numbers off the rear hub, then via DT Swiss website file a claim.. You should get an email stating they will send you prepaid postage.. Then you know you will be covered

BTW, in the USA it was about 9 days from the day I shipped it out until I got it back.
Was actually thinking similar, cheers

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Haven't had any issues on mine, but went ahead and contacted them anyway, since I'm still low mileage with no signs of wear, they're sending me a new freehub/ratchet/spring. :beerchug:

GeoffS

by GeoffS

It's good to see DT Swiss supporting their product and addressing this at no charge. But I do wonder how these EXP ratchets will perform long-term, if a "surface irregularities in the nanometer range" (quoting them from the article above) is sufficient to cause the ratchet to bind up....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

For now I'll give DT Swiss the benefit of doubt. Let's hope that retrofitted hubs don't have issues in the long-term.