DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

You can replace only the freehub and the floating rachet at home. Replacing the fixed rachet and DS hub bearing needs a special tool. Chances are DT Swiss will either have to visit a shop or send your wheel in for repair as opposed to sending you two rachets, bearing, and the freehub. If your wheel is affected by the recall but hasn't experienced any failure yet DT Swiss will only send you the floating rachet and freehub.

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

How loud are these hubs? I have my new wheels with these hubs fitted and the hub is pretty silent although they only have about 3miles of use so may get louder after a proper ride

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

My hubs were silent until I serviced them and now I scare children as I approach.
Last edited by TwiggyForest on Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

CtV

by CtV

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:49 am
You can replace only the freehub and the floating rachet at home. Replacing the fixed rachet and DS hub bearing needs a special tool. Chances are DT Swiss will either have to visit a shop or send your wheel in for repair as opposed to sending you two rachets, bearing, and the freehub. If your wheel is affected by the recall but hasn't experienced any failure yet DT Swiss will only send you the floating rachet and freehub.
Ok...i brought the wheel to my LBS again...hope they dont bodge it again

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Anyone know how often, or I suppose after how many miles the ratchet should be serviced (cleaned and regreased)?
I've heard mention of 3-4 months but this seems excessive for wheels used reasonably lightly in dry conditions. I've never touched my Roval Rapides since last summer, having fitted the replacement ratchet prior to first use. I've put 3000km on the wheels and FWIW I've had no issues whatsoever.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Doesn't the freehub just pulls off without tools? takes 2 minutes.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

PoorCyclist wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:46 pm
Doesn't the freehub just pulls off without tools? takes 2 minutes.
Oh yes, very easy to do. Was just curious how often it should be done

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

When freehubs are new they have a dampened noise, quickly it will get louder, but when it gets really crisp and loud it means there is no grease. People love a loud noise. But it's probably time to relube.

CtV

by CtV

And again....got the wheel back from my LBS.. and just after 1,5 half weeks of riding the freehub sound got dampend a lot again...first sign of failure...and yesterday it started to creak like crazy, just like it was doing before the freehub broke down..god, its the 3rd hub in 3 months...did anybody experience the same problem apearing after changing the freehub?

NSWCruiser

by NSWCruiser

CtV wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:39 am
And again....got the wheel back from my LBS.. and just after 1,5 half weeks of riding the freehub sound got dampend a lot again...first sign of failure...and yesterday it started to creak like crazy, just like it was doing before the freehub broke down..god, its the 3rd hub in 3 months...did anybody experience the same problem apearing after changing the freehub?
Wait, what?

I just sent in my rear wheel to the distributor for repair as I contacted DT Swiss for recurring no engagement problem. My DT180 rear hub belongs to the affected batch and quickly DT Swiss CS sent the kits to the local distributor for repair. Kudos for that.

Now waiting for the job done. Though it really worries me if this problem will occur again in the future. DT hubs were supposed to be reliable before the EXP. And now I am doing everything to avoid new wheels with DT internals :(
2023 S-WORKS EPIC EVO
2024 S-WORKS TARMAC SL8

Retired
-------------
2022 Cervelo R5
2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

NSWCruiser wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:16 pm
CtV wrote:
Wait, what?

I just sent in my rear wheel to the distributor for repair as I contacted DT Swiss for recurring no engagement problem. My DT180 rear hub belongs to the affected batch and quickly DT Swiss CS sent the kits to the local distributor for repair. Kudos for that.

Now waiting for the job done. Though it really worries me if this problem will occur again in the future. DT hubs were supposed to be reliable before the EXP. And now I am doing everything to avoid new wheels with DT internals :(
CtV is the only person I've read on here who has had issues with the replacement freehub. You will probably be fine.

I'm 10,000 km on the original defective freehub and ratchet with no issues.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I’m at over 5,000km of MTB use on my 180s. Replaced the ratchet and spring before ever lacing up the wheel. No problems, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

NSWCruiser wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:16 pm
CtV wrote:
Wait, what?

I didn't even know 180 EXP had this issue like the 240. I am riding two pairs with 180 exp for almost 10K combined and it works great, purchased it in early 2020. My friends with 240 exp all got their ratchets replaced.

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm looking to buy a DtSwiss 240 Classic EXP set. Do they have the same problem as the Straight pull batch ?

Louis :)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Yes. Anything with EXP is affected, whether the hub is 180 or 240, straight pull or flanged. But you need to check the middle serial number to confirm if yours is from the pre or post fix batch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com