DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Takeswood

by Takeswood

Update : My wheel buider has already replaced ratchet system with upagrated parts. Ride on !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I had sudden drive loss with the silenced freehub, luckily no crash. Disapoint.

I cleaned most of the grease off the ratchet, and now it's loud again, but hopefully will engage every time.
Next wheelset it's back to Novatec, thank you

Marin wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:56 pm
I greased mine in the meantime, no engagement problems so far but much lower noise.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Marin wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:33 pm
I had sudden drive loss with the silenced freehub, luckily no crash. Disapoint.

I cleaned most of the grease off the ratchet, and now it's loud again, but hopefully will engage every time.
Next wheelset it's back to Novatec, thank you
DT Swiss advises to not put too much grease. Too much grease can cause a loss of engagement. Do you have the updated parts?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

3000km on my 180 now. I asked for and received the new ratchet before sending the hub to the wheel builder.

No problems to report on my end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:56 am
DT Swiss advises to not put too much grease. Too much grease can cause a loss of engagement. Do you have the updated parts?
Yes, and the updated noise

BLUTACK

by BLUTACK

Dt Swiss freehub totally broken here on Roval Rapide wheels (purchased last year). Pulled it apart - full of grey grease, which I guess are the parts grinding away when they should not. Emailed Madison UK and no response yet...

SLH

by SLH

I certainly have the updated noise, but so far everything seems to be working fine. My only issue is in my mind.

Once I hit about 65-70kmh the ratchet sounds so loud that it seems to have worked its way into my head that it sounds like it's going to explode. I'm finding myself pulling it back at 70kmh. Please tell me you've had it way over this. :oops:
Look 795 Blade RS
Sram Red AXS
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 50

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

My LBS in Australia, raised a warranty claim with the distributor for my Light Bicycle wheels and got the new parts within a week, despite obviously not being bought in country. I'm keeping the parts aside as I'm 7000k on the original ratchets no issue, so these will wait until freehub body needs replacing

fdawg

by fdawg

I received the updated ratchet and freehub some months ago and installed them, although I hadn't yet experienced any problems. Now, I am getting squeaking coming from the outermost bearing in the freehub (i.e. the bearing that the end cap sits on). The bearing feels rough, I think it's toast. Does anyone know if this is a 6802 bering like in the 240s? I haven't removed it yet but the inner and outer dimensions seem to match. For now I'm running the original freehub in my wheel, along with the new ratchet.

CtV

by CtV

Reporting problems with Roval Rapide clx wheelset...bought them last year June...11.000km without issue and then all of a sudden no more engagement...in hindside i noticed the sound of the hub getting louder and more silent over time, didnt bother me tho...had the wheel at my LBS, they said it was under warranty..i got them back the next day...12min 40 seconds into my first ride, no more engagement so i had to call a taxi again :D so maybe they just cleaned and regreased, i think i might contact dtswiss directly now

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If you have experienced at least one loss of engagement the internal rachet inside the hub (and one bearing) must be replaced. So you should ask your shop exactly what they replaced. If they just replaced the freehub that's not good enough because the internal rachet may have been damaged already and must be replaced. Good luck.

DOUG

by DOUG

DOUG wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:31 pm
Thanks Gerard, trouble being I bought these from R2 bike in Germany so would need them to organise replacement.

As far as the wheels go I ended up getting a replacement freehub body from the Aus distributor and after some minor creaking which was solved by regressing the ratchet, they appear to be going strong now. I don't know if the creaking will return or if other issues will crop up in the future but for now the problem seems to be resolved.

Which is good because they are a truly fantastic wheelset!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Figured I should provide a brief update on this for those following along at home. So far so good with the new freehub and ratchet, the creaking/rattling does not seem to have returned (touch wood) so I guess Im in the clear lol. I dont know what the creaking/rattling noise was but I suspect its a tolerance issue somewhere in the hub and it needed to be "worn in", absolutely no problems with engagement or indeed any other functional issues. Not exactly an ideal process but I guess I have a spare freehub body now in case I damage one. If I have any problems in the future I'll update this thread.

Im wondering though, if I decide to go to Sram AXS for example in the future, the XD freehub body that shipped with the wheels is likely going to be faulty as well right? I might get in touch with R2 bike and see if they can supply me with an updated version because I have considered going to 12speed in the near future,

CtV

by CtV

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:06 pm
If you have experienced at least one loss of engagement the internal rachet inside the hub (and one bearing) must be replaced. So you should ask your shop exactly what they replaced. If they just replaced the freehub that's not good enough because the internal rachet may have been damaged already and must be replaced. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply! Will check my LBS on saturday, but ecpectations are low...is there a chance dtswiss will send the parts directtly out to me?

kipers

by kipers

CtV wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thanks for the reply! Will check my LBS on saturday, but ecpectations are low...is there a chance dtswiss will send the parts directtly out to me?
I asked them to do so (instead of sending the wheel to their service centre) and i have got full set - new ratchet, freehub and tube of grease.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CtV

by CtV

kipers wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:14 pm
CtV wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
I asked them to do so (instead of sending the wheel to their service centre) and i have got full set - new ratchet, freehub and tube of grease.
Great! That sounds like the best option to me...and less time consuming..race season is around the corner...gonna try it