DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
jarm

by jarm

Has this issue been solved for the newer batches? If I were to buy a set of DT Swiss wheels from any of the bigger retailers, would I get fixed / redesigned hubs?

rides4beer

by rides4beer

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:06 am
Sorry. I had to Google it to find it. If you have a centerlock disk you have to remove the rotor to expose the serial number. The number is obscured by the rotor. I removed the disk on mine and took a pic of my number. I also removed the freehub and took a couple pics of the internals. Thanks.
I'm confused by those pictures, I don't see the ratchet face (for lack of a better term), as pictured here:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sethjs

by sethjs

GeoffS wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:46 am
sethjs wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:42 am
I ran into this problem on dt180s that came with FarSport wheels that delivered a couple months ago.

I got a response from dtswiss in 12 hrs. They didn't even ask for the serial number etc. Just sent me a label. Told me they'd do a full warranty rebuild. Told me it'd be a 1-2 day turnaround.
Just wondering - did you contact DT Swiss directly or did you go through Farsports first?

I took delivery of a set of Farsports wheels with 240EXP hubs just last month. I've noticed they are very quiet, but the small amount of freewheel noise changes (sometimes almost none, sometimes a bit), and the other day there was a loud clunk just as I started pedalling after freewheeling. I have a bad feeling things are going to get worse, based on the threads elsewhere about this problem :cry:
I noticed the same - the changing noises when freewheeling - on the 180.

I pinged the dt swiss service center in Colorado. Used the online form.

I did ping Sandy at FarSport before I'd heard back from dt Swiss. She wasn't aware of the issue. Once she did some research she asked me to take a pic of the batch number and was going to tak to the dt folks they source from.

I've got carbon-ti on my 4.5ARs. Haven't been perfect either. Front hub bearings went after 200 miles. And for some reason (probably bad luck) there's a seemingly impossible to cure harmonic resonance on the front wheel when braking - basically regardless of pad or rotor choice - in an SL7.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

This is all of course very alarming. But to those wondering whether this is in evey wheel/hub - the answer is definitely no. It's not clear how wide the problem is. I am running the Rapides which have the EXP rear hub since last August, and have had no issue. I also pulled it apart to clean and re-grease twice since then (fresh grease = quiet; old grease = very loud), and haven't had problems either before or after reassembly. It's quite pleasing with how easy these things are to self-service. Do make sure you use the proper DT Swiss grease of course.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

rides4beer wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:52 pm
I'm confused by those pictures, I don't see the ratchet face (for lack of a better term), as pictured here:
The rachet 'face' is obscured and facing away from the camera. These pics below explain it well I think.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:54 pm
rides4beer wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:52 pm
The rachet 'face' is obscured and facing away from the camera. These pics below explain it well I think.
Ok, that makes sense, the floating ratchet ring in your pic is still sitting on the main body, thanks.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

You're welcome. I'm a newcomber to DT Swiss. I ordered my wheels before I knew about the engagement issue. At least now I know I can temporarily fix the issue on the road if it ever happens. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Can someone comfirm if DT Swiss is replacing the entire hub (hence relacing the wheel with existing or new spokes/nipples) or just rebuilding the hub's internals with new parts?

I'm hoping someone will post a serial number from a defective hub...

rides4beer

by rides4beer

pdlpsher1 wrote:You're welcome. I'm a newcomber to DT Swiss. I ordered my wheels before I knew about the engagement issue. At least now I know I can temporarily fix the issue on the road if it ever happens. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Can someone comfirm if DT Swiss is replacing the entire hub (hence relacing the wheel with existing or new spokes/nipples) or just rebuilding the hub's internals with new parts?

I'm hoping someone will post a serial number from a defective hub...
I’ve had several sets of DT350 hubs that have been trouble free (my current wheels have over 10k miles on them, with nothing but regreasing occasionally). Upgraded to 240 EXP hubs for the new wheelset, but also had not heard anything about the issues. My wheels should arrive next week, we’ll see how it goes. I feel like there are probably thousands of trouble free EXP hubs out there, so maybe we’ll get lucky. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm monitoring the other thread and it seems more people are reporting the issue, with one that received a defective hub as recently as in Feb.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/dtswiss-24 ... 241/page-9

jarm

by jarm

Has DT Swiss said anything publicly? What's the core problem? Is it a design flaw or just a defective component or assembly?

I was about to order ARC 1100 DB wheelset. After reading this tread here and some others, I'm not sure anymore.

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

Happened to me this morning, complete loss of drive from the hub and I had to get rescued,I heard something click a few miles before as I was pulling out of a juction.

ARC 1400 DB with around 300 miles on them

jarm

by jarm

WizzyBob wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:43 am
Happened to me this morning, complete loss of drive from the hub and I had to get rescued,I heard something click a few miles before as I was pulling out of a juction.

ARC 1400 DB with around 300 miles on them
When did you buy yours?

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

jarm wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:56 am

When did you buy yours?
Bought them early last Novemeber, only just been able to start using them

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

I have contacted DT SWISS to vent my frustration with whats happeneed, as somebody is going to get seriously hurt because of this.
Reading through past comments and other threads this has been reported to them months ago, theres been no recall and no contact to customers about the possible issue.

Luckily for me today I was spinning along a flat road when it happened, minutes earlier I was out the saddle pushing up a 15% climb... if I'd have lost engagement then chances are I'd have been thrown from the bike causing who knows what damage.

Its very disappointing that they haven't made a statement about this

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

WizzyBob- do you mind finding and posting your serial number? On page 2 I posted mine. I just got my wheels in March and I'm just curious how many hubs were made between yours and mine. Thanks for your time.