DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Nick38

by Nick38

Yeah would make sense to send tool also you'd think. I'll be happy just to get parts initially, won't be in a rush to fit them as I've had no issues and will fit them later in the year I reckon. These are my best wheels and don't do a lot or mileage on them just pleased DT Swiss seem to be sorting it I suppose

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

IIRC there's a compatible ratchet tool available from China/Aliexpress. With the current situation that might even be faster.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Nick38 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:29 am
I'm definitely not keen on posting my wheels, a Roval CLX Rapide and a CLX Alpinist both only 6 months old and no issues to speak of, they just replied again saying they'll send the parts out. I'm tempted to buy the tool myself so I can service them fully in the future, don't trust anyone with my babies :mrgreen:
What's the serial number on you hub, if you don't mind sharing?

I have the Rapides that are about the same age, and the floating ratchet is showing (what I think is) unacceptable wear, given their limited use. My seiral number does not contain a "1" that the notice says insures that it has the updated parts. Yet, the guy from DT Swiss said that mine should be good to go, and made no offer of sending out replacment parts...not sure what I should go by?

Nick38

by Nick38

jmfreeman535 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:21 pm
Nick38 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:29 am
I'm definitely not keen on posting my wheels, a Roval CLX Rapide and a CLX Alpinist both only 6 months old and no issues to speak of, they just replied again saying they'll send the parts out. I'm tempted to buy the tool myself so I can service them fully in the future, don't trust anyone with my babies :mrgreen:
What's the serial number on you hub, if you don't mind sharing?

I have the Rapides that are about the same age, and the floating ratchet is showing (what I think is) unacceptable wear, given their limited use. My seiral number does not contain a "1" that the notice says insures that it has the updated parts. Yet, the guy from DT Swiss said that mine should be good to go, and made no offer of sending out replacment parts...not sure what I should go by?
I'm not a position to take the disc off to look again at the moment but the centre set of 3 numbers which is the manufacturer code has a "0" in the centre so definitely the affected batch :?

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Nick38 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:37 pm
I'm not a position to take the disc off to look again at the moment but the centre set of 3 numbers which is the manufacturer code has a "0" in the centre so definitely the affected batch :?
Thanks. My center numbers are 947, so no "0" but no "1" either, which is what is leaving me confused.

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

jmfreeman535 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:22 pm
Nick38 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:37 pm
Thanks. My center numbers are 947, so no "0" but no "1" either, which is what is leaving me confused.
But don;t the Rovals have a diff serial as they don;t use the dt swiss hub body?

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

BadBoyR wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:24 pm
But don;t the Rovals have a diff serial as they don;t use the dt swiss hub body?
That's what I was thinking, and was wanting to check by asking Nick38 for his serial numbers. The fact that his follows DT Swiss's normal pattern, and mine does not, muddies the water even furter for me.

I filled out the form that DT posted online to get a second option, so I'll see what response I get from that.

Nick38

by Nick38

Both my Rovals have the serial number exactly as described on DT Swiss site

Nick38

by Nick38

Thought I had a photo somewhere, not the Rapides though this is the Alpinist hub

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Here's mine...the first and third set of numbers are similar enough, but the second is the odd ball.
I emailed Roval directly, as well, just to see if they can confirm the production code, and if I need to worry about the ratchets....we'll see what they say
IMG_7331.jpg

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

BadBoyR wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:01 pm
Not sure if anyone else experiencing the ratchet going quiet while free spinning, it’s noisy to begin with then goes dead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My hubs (in Light Bicycle wheels) were doing that, was quiet to start when you first start free wheeling and then goes silent. Was like this for 4000km no issue. I inspected the ratchet the other week and regreased and now it's way mower noisier.

joesch

by joesch

This seems to be their recommended solution, not sure whether it will suffice; tempted to send in my wheels...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlgX9ZuDGfU

MattMay

by MattMay

^ it assumes no damage to the fixed ratchet.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks for the link to the video. I have never owned DT Swiss hubs in the past before I got my EXP hubs. My hubs came with silver/grey grease and not red grease. I assume both are approved but why two kinds of grease exist? I have two sets of EXPs and I wonder if I should just request the parts kit and replace the parts before the fixed rachet gets damaged.

MattMay

by MattMay

I did and they arrived today. They include a tube of red grease.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com