DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
jmomentum

by jmomentum

GeoffS wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:35 am
It's good to see DT Swiss supporting their product and addressing this at no charge. But I do wonder how these EXP ratchets will perform long-term, if a "surface irregularities in the nanometer range" (quoting them from the article above) is sufficient to cause the ratchet to bind up....
I have lost confidence in this new design. It seems clear that it is inferior to the two floating ratchets of the old system - a time tested configuration that served them well for 25 years. It seems they have compromised and taken extrodinary risk for the sake of the patent expiring on the old system. This new design allows them to continue their licensing arrangement with a 'new RATCHET EXP technology'. I hope for everyones sake that the issues can truly be sorted out with the replacement parts. I have doubts that the wear causing disengagement will simply be prolonged rather that resolved.

Having said that, I'm about to go for a ride on my LB wheel DT 180 EXP hubs. This will mark 3000+km since Aug 2020. The only thing I have noticed up to this point is the freehub buzzing. Sometimes it is loud and sometimes it is quiet. I found this inconsistency to be odd. The statement from DT Swiss gives me some pause in what the future may hold for these wheels. I normally buy products that I expect to be durable and have longevity. At this point I would not feel comfortable buying into this new EXP (experiment) ratchet system again. We will see how it plays out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If you haven't done it already, you should take the freehub apart and clean up all the grease. Without the grease you can then clearly inspect the parts for abnormal wear. Even if you don't have abnormal wear you should still contact DT Swiss and get the updated parts. With the old parts you just don't know if and when they will fail. And it's better to have spare parts on hand just in case.

chicagorider

by chicagorider

jmomentum wrote: The only thing I have noticed up to this point is the freehub buzzing. Sometimes it is loud and sometimes it is quiet. I found this inconsistency to be odd.
I've a set of Bontrager Aeolus XXX and have noticed the same. I think it'd temperature dependant—louder when it's warmer. Not sure what to make of it. My LBS guy told me freehub drags a little so I got a new freehub but haven't put it on yet...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

jadedaid

by jadedaid

I've got the noise inconsistency on my Rapides as well - but haven't been able to associate with anything specific. I suspect the hub is on its way out, as the last two days I've got a creak coming from the wheels which sounds like spokes rubbing against each other. Had this exact sound once on a set of CK hubs which ended up at RMA.

SLH

by SLH

I recently purchased a pair of ARC 1100 DICUT® DB. Are these wheels part of the affected batch?

Edit. Looks like they are. I haven't put them on my new build yet, so I guess it's time to look closely at the serial numbers.
Look 795 Blade RS
Sram Red AXS
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 50

gSporco

by gSporco

I would think the noise issue is related to the overall failure issues as well. Unleas I miss read it, the problem is that the ratched and maybe the spring was an inferior batch. My new wheels came with these affected parts and the freewheeling sound was surprisingly muted. Once I sent it back and then tested the new parts its loud as heck as I think it should sound.

Honestly even if you haven't had a failure yet, but tou habe a serial number that's affected, just get it fixed. Why bother with a possible ticking time bomb
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

sethjs

by sethjs

A friend just hit this issue on Roval Rapides this morning. Feeling inevitable most of the gen 1 ratchets are going to fail. 3/3 on people I know who have exp design have now had failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLH

by SLH

Just checked the serial numbers on my new wheels and the dreaded 0 is there. 408
Look 795 Blade RS
Sram Red AXS
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 50

haze513

by haze513

Mine is back from the UK service centre today, haven't taken it apart but the freehub is obviously new.

It sounds reassuringly loud and that strange creaking/grinding noise is no more 👍

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

haze513 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:28 pm
Mine is back from the UK service centre today, haven't taken it apart but the freehub is obviously new.

It sounds reassuringly loud and that strange creaking/grinding noise is no more 👍
I got mine back today too but I can not get my shimano cassette to fit on the freehub, it's not wide enough, like it's a 10 speed, am I missing something here? It's plain black with no writing or logos on it

haze513

by haze513

Has Ratchet printed on one side of the body, 11s Road on the opposite...or something very similar anyway.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Did the 54T upgrade today (damn it's loud) and threw on a spare 11 speed freehub body I had laying around.

Appears I have some of the first wheels made, which makes sense since purchased on launch date.
Attachments
DAC91D19-D1F6-477A-8A60-9B93342FDC60.jpeg
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

haze513 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:36 pm
Has Ratchet printed on one side of the body, 11s Road on the opposite...or something very similar anyway.
Mine is just plain black no writing, the groves are different to the one I sent back to them, I've measured it and its 35mm wide, that's 10 speed right? 11 speed is 37mm?

So I've waited 6 weeks to get my wheel back and they fit a 10sp free hub
Attachments
IMG_8225.JPG

haze513

by haze513

Surprised they still make a 10s to be honest but not sure what that is...not seen one with splines like that before...

Addict15

by Addict15

Those splines are normal on the 180, but it should definitely say ratchet exp somewhere between the splines. Pretty weird they would send that

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com