DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
gSporco

by gSporco

1000 miles on the update internals and no issues to report. Also, Ive never had a fading sound on the new parts; its a consistent loud buzz
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DOUG

by DOUG

So long story short the Austrralia distributor/ service centre stuffed me around and it took 2 months (!) for them to finally get the wheel back to me with the right freehub body and no missing internal parts (dont ask).

Now, a new problem. Under light-moderate load (150-200w approx.) the hub makes a very loud creaking/crunching noise. It is so bad it sounds like the hub is about to completely disintegrate from under me. Ive tried regreasing it and this makes no difference. At this point im seriously *f##k* over it and have requested they replace the whole wheel. Honestly this is an absolute top tier product and the way the distributor has handled it and the recurring problems are just inexcusable. I think Ill be selling these wheels as soon as I can get the problem resolved.

Omiar

by Omiar

DOUG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:19 am
So long story short the Austrralia distributor/ service centre stuffed me around and it took 2 months (!) for them to finally get the wheel back to me with the right freehub body and no missing internal parts (dont ask).

Now, a new problem. Under light-moderate load (150-200w approx.) the hub makes a very loud creaking/crunching noise. It is so bad it sounds like the hub is about to completely disintegrate from under me. Ive tried regreasing it and this makes no difference. At this point im seriously *f##k* over it and have requested they replace the whole wheel. Honestly this is an absolute top tier product and the way the distributor has handled it and the recurring problems are just inexcusable. I think Ill be selling these wheels as soon as I can get the problem resolved.
Is the creaking sound worse when you put more power into pedals? Sounds like the ratchet and freehub surfaces are not adequately greased. Just need to apply a bit more grease.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

DOUG

by DOUG

No it's worse with less power, around 150-200w. The sound mostly goes away above that. Have tried more grease but that did not help.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

tbabut

by tbabut

DOUG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:19 am
I've exactly the same problem with my XRC 1501 rear wheel, which is at DT Swiss Service Center right now, and also because of the problem with the new ratchet system. I've bought this wheelset 4 weeks ago.

DOUG

by DOUG

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. After being "fixed" my $3600 wheelset now sounds like a bucket of bolts, back to the spare wheelset I guess for the foreseeable future. To say I'm pissed off would be an understatement.

hannawald

by hannawald

I have DT 180 EXP hub on my FFWD Raw wheels. I didn´t have a problem but finding my hub is from the affected series I choose to take an action sooner rather than later.

My experience with local DT Swiss dealer (Bottico, Czech Rep.) was great. They quickly replied to my email that I could send them my wheel with proof of purchase and they would repair it within 5 days so I wouldn’t be long without my wheel. They also confirmed you need a special tool for repair and also deal with the bearings.
I sent them my wheel with express delivery on Monday (delivered on Tuesday) and they sent it back repaired on Wednesday so I got my wheel yesterday back so only couple of days without the wheel.

It seems according to the warranty document that they have changed
- ratchets 36teeth exp 4226
- exp ceramic freehub Shimano 11 speed
- exp spring and grease

So my experience with warranty process was great so far, I haven´t ridden it yet. But the noise is loud:)

Bmcswiss

by Bmcswiss

Hi, Doug, sorry for what's happening to you. I had the same problem as you with the same wheelset (arc50). I recovered it at the end of March after going to the centre dt service. I also had these cracks during the first 200 kms and then it disappeared... I'm now at 2,500 kms since the repair without the slightest problem. Don't lose hope and I hope that the cracks will disappear as was the case for me 🤞

DOUG

by DOUG

Thanks, I've asked the Aus distributor for a replacement (lol I know, probably pointless but still, it's worth asking), other option is to go back to R2 bike and see if they will sort it out for me.

In the meantime I'm just going to keep riding it and see what happens, might try packing even more grease in there and see if that makes a difference. I know too much grease can cause problems too but at this point I don't really have much else I can try. There's nothing obvious when I pull it apart and inspect the ratchet and there's nothing loose either. It freewheel just fine as well and hasn't lost drive.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

GeoffS

by GeoffS

When people have sent wheels off for the recall work, have they completely removed tyre and cassette before doing so? I finally received my wheel back from the LBS this morning after a wait of 4 weeks. They wanted to charge me $180 for doing the above and shipping to/from Apollo. :evil:

DOUG

by DOUG

Yeah they require them bothe to be removed, the cassette i can understand but the tyre is a bit annoying for those running tubeless. And no the bike shop was not reimbursed for the freight so i had to sort them out to the tune of about $50. I honestly couldnt be bothered chasing the distributor for it, pretty poor form If you ask me.

Anyway my rather stern email has illicited some action, rather than send the entire wheel back to them I figure we might as well try a different freehub body and see if that resolves the issue. At the very least it will tell us that the problem is not the freehub, if it resolves the issue then io dont need to send the wheel off again. So i have a new Exp freehub installed, will take it out this weekend and see how it goes. Fingers crossed it was just some weird tolerance issue causing the creaks/cracking noise.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

So an update, still running the original ratchet with no issues. When it was new the sound was quiet and would fade as you free wheeled similar to other users' reports. A couple months ago I inspected the ratchet for wear as per the service letter and assembled with the grease I had on hand. Since that time the ratchet worked fine but was obnoxiously loud. Last weekend I reserviced the ratchet and used the DT grease - a couple hundred km in and the ratchet has no issues and is now quiet once again and the fading while free wheeling is back. I guess the lesson is use the proper grease...

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

An up date on mine and everything seems to be working ok, noisier though as others have mentioned

Regarding the shipping costs I'd contact DT Swiss directly and ask about reimbursement, they refunded the £30 I had to spend to get it back the uk service centre with the adequate insurance

Marin

by Marin

Any tips on safely silencing the updated ratchet?

It's way too noisy for riding in the woods for me now, so either I can reduce the noise or I'll see the wheelset on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gSporco

by gSporco

Marin wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:00 pm
Any tips on safely silencing the updated ratchet?

It's way too noisy for riding in the woods for me now, so either I can reduce the noise or I'll see the wheelset on.
Rides of Japan on youtube tried a different grease to silence his EXP and it didnt do much, if anything at all.. I think its just loud and always will be loud.. Honestly, I think if its starts to get quiter it may indicate another issue. I am no DT expert, but going from the faulty one to the updated one and reading up on the issue, I have determined the inferiour desing flaw of the ones with issues had low or fading sounds.. Possibly indifative of pure manufactoring tolerances or desing.. The new one, being loud, I think is part of the design..

I know its unfortuante, and I agree its super loud.. I find myself slowly pedaling on steep decents to not hear it, where on my other wheels I would cost.. I will say the road side animals do run away though.. so thats a bonus
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero