DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The grey grease is the red grease. The color changes after some miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

riochang

by riochang

hi all, my roval rapide clx hub serial (middle 3 digits) says 4"9"6, DT only mentioned either "0" or "1" to determine whether its affected batch or not. Does anyone have the same issue? and has anyone asked and got a reply from either Roval or DT about this? thanks!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The middle number can be any number. If it's not a '1' then it has the defective part. The '0' shown in the picture is just an example.

riochang

by riochang

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:07 pm
The middle number can be any number. If it's not a '1' then it has the defective part. The '0' shown in the picture is just an example.
Thank you!!

RDY

by RDY

Are the recently manufactured EXP hubs definitively fixed ... or still problematic?

Marin

by Marin

I've not seen problems reported. Our updated ones have been VERY loud, but trouble free

Gerard

by Gerard

DOUG wrote:So long story short the Austrralia distributor/ service centre stuffed me around and it took 2 months (!) for them to finally get the wheel back to me with the right freehub body and no missing internal parts (dont ask).

Now, a new problem. Under light-moderate load (150-200w approx.) the hub makes a very loud creaking/crunching noise. It is so bad it sounds like the hub is about to completely disintegrate from under me. Ive tried regreasing it and this makes no difference. At this point im seriously *f##k* over it and have requested they replace the whole wheel. Honestly this is an absolute top tier product and the way the distributor has handled it and the recurring problems are just inexcusable. I think Ill be selling these wheels as soon as I can get the problem resolved.
Hi Doug, under Australian Consumer Law you are entitled to ask for a refund, not just repair or replace. I negotiated a full refund on my Roval Rapide CLX wheelset, since my rear hub was in the impacted serial number range. I can send you the 'long' email I sent that referenced the various parts of the law. I gave the retailer and Specialized no option but to agree to the refund.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

DOUG

by DOUG

Thanks Gerard, trouble being I bought these from R2 bike in Germany so would need them to organise replacement.

As far as the wheels go I ended up getting a replacement freehub body from the Aus distributor and after some minor creaking which was solved by regressing the ratchet, they appear to be going strong now. I don't know if the creaking will return or if other issues will crop up in the future but for now the problem seems to be resolved.

Which is good because they are a truly fantastic wheelset!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

vamoots58

by vamoots58

Marin wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:50 pm
I've not seen problems reported. Our updated ones have been VERY loud, but trouble free
Loudness confirmed!!!!!

Marin

by Marin

vamoots58 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:04 pm
Marin wrote:
Loudness confirmed!!!!!
I greased mine in the meantime, no engagement problems so far but much lower noise.

vamoots58

by vamoots58

Marin wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:56 pm
vamoots58 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:04 pm
Marin wrote:
Loudness confirmed!!!!!
I greased mine in the meantime, no engagement problems so far but much lower noise.
Going to do that too!!!

ms6073

by ms6073

While I have no experience with the new EXP hubs, I can say from many years of experience with the standard 240S and 54 and 36 tooth star ratchets that too much grease makes them dead silent because the ratchets sort of become hydro locked. :oops:
On the otherhand, applying the correct amount of greasae will keep the hubs a bit quieter, but only for a short period of time and is dependent on the frequency and duration of free-wheeling occurs during rides.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Takeswood

by Takeswood

I just received my new wheelset from a local wheelbuilder. Venn VAR 507 + 240 exp
P/N has "0" in the middle of 3 digits "307". All hubs with "0" are necessarilyaffected ? People here have already experienced no issue at all with "0" hubs ?
Because my wheelbuiler during communication before buying tell me its hubs are no concerned about this problem.
How could I be sure, complete contact form on deidcated page on DTswiss website before experience hub problems ?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Some wheel builders have received the retrofit parts and upgraded their hubs in stock. So even if you have a ‘0’ you could already have the upgraded parts. It’s a question for your wheel builder. If your builder says no your must get the upgraded parts. If the wheel hasn’t been ridden all you need is a single floating ratchet. If you have already ridden the wheel with the bad parts you’ll also need a new freehub. So it’s best to not ride the wheel until you get this sorted out.

If you take the gamble and ride a ‘0’, you may see the engagement issue at some point. Then you have to take the wheel to a shop and have them replace the fixed ratchet and bearing in addition to the floating ratchet and freehub. Worse yet you may seriously injure yourself when the freehub fails to engage properly. Don’t take that risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Takeswood

by Takeswood

Thank you,

I've just send an email to my wheelbuilder. I hope his response is "I change by myself with retrofited part on your hub". I will keep you in touch for that.
I agree with you, I will not take the risk before I know if my hub is ok or no.
Even if I don't have wheelbuilder's answer, I ask DTswiss on their didacated page and give us my hub's part number, maybe they can also give me the answer.