DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

Nick38 wrote:I messaged them Monday and they came back saying still waiting for freehubs :unbelievable:
Least you got a reply Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

disq

by disq

disq wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:30 am
Happy to report that my recent order from Farsports (ordered 14/04, received today to the UK) has the updated DT EXP hubs ("110" in serial number)

240 EXP, Shimano freehub, thru axle 12/142.
"110" series 240 EXP hub has the "fading sound" behaviour. No issues so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

I received a new ratchet, spring and grease today for my unused Roval Rapides. Very easy to replace. I used an artists brush to basically paint the grease onto the ratchet thinly as per the DT service YouTube vid. Was having a quick spin up and down street to adjust discs and also noted the freehub sound fading in and out a few times. Century ride planned this weekend so will see what they're like once properly 'bedded in'.

gSporco

by gSporco

BianchiDave wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 8:15 pm
I received a new ratchet, spring and grease today for my unused Roval Rapides. Very easy to replace. I used an artists brush to basically paint the grease onto the ratchet thinly as per the DT service YouTube vid. Was having a quick spin up and down street to adjust discs and also noted the freehub sound fading in and out a few times. Century ride planned this weekend so will see what they're like once properly 'bedded in'.
Interesting that you are hearing a fading buzz sound on the updated ratchet. On my defective ratchet I had a faded sound, then the replaced ratchet which supposedly fixes the issue is very loud all the time, no fade. Also using light weight DT Grease
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

kipers

by kipers

I had my ratchet replaced two days ago and was nicely loud before, now it fades in and out.

i was even thinking that they put too much grease in there and planned to remove a bit to get it sound as before, but you say fade in is correct for fixed ratchet?

disq

by disq

Unclear, still waiting response from both UK distributor and DT themselves re fading sound.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

kipers wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:58 am
I had my ratchet replaced two days ago and was nicely loud before, now it fades in and out.

i was even thinking that they put too much grease in there and planned to remove a bit to get it sound as before, but you say fade in is correct for fixed ratchet?
After reading what others were saying re too much grease I went back into the hub to remove some. I never got on the bike this weekend so the wheels have still not been ridden in anger. If I do a freehub sound test by spinning the cranks its very loud initially but as the wheels slows its more of a sudden quietness as opposed to a fade which I'm hearing.

disq

by disq

disq wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:00 am
Unclear, still waiting response from both UK distributor and DT themselves re fading sound.
Offical response from DT:
From your serial code your wheel should not be affected.

Since the ratchet sound depends also from the rim (can function as an amplifier) and from the speed you're rolling at it could also be that the noise becomes more or less audible.

To be 100% sure you could have your wheel checked by our local service center in the UK.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I got a quick reply. I sent my request last thursday and received the replacement ratchet today.
I bought another Roval Alpinist wheels because sold the first one together with the Aethos. This new one is still affected. I sent a photo of the hub code and invoice where I bought my wheels. Since the wheels are new and not yet ridden the moving ratchet is the only part that needs to be replaced. I received just a single ratchet.

R1Phrankey

by R1Phrankey

Had the ratchets replaced today. My DT240 EXP hub had approx 1000km. I had the fading freehub sound and last ride a terrible (grinding) noise from the hub. Took the wheel to my dealer. Took the freehub off and the grease was grey, no red grease visible anymore. Must be a lot of wear from the ratchets.
Ratchets replaced, also the fixed ratchet.
Let's see if this fixed the issue.

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

My exp freehub just died under light effort after about 1,000 km. I had no engagement problems prior to this. My lbs swapped it out for the original, non exp freehub. Thanks DT Swiss, for ruining one of my rides. Will factor in cab fare next time I buy wheels with dt swiss hubs

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Had my first longer ride of +100km on Saturday. Freehub sound was randomly fading in and out. This is on a brand new set of Roval Rapide CLX, with the new ratchet installed prior to any use. A bit concerning, but hopefully nothing. I'll pull it apart in a few weeks to make sure the grease isnt grey....

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Just to update, a few rides this week including a century+ today (180km). Seems the fading sound has disappeared, just a steady nice loud freehub now.

disq

by disq

After 550km of use I still have the fading-out sound but I'm used to it now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nick38

by Nick38

I’ve had this update from UK service team today;

We can get the parts to you now.

I have updated info from DT and as you have experienced no issues, we will only need to replace the floating ratchets. If I can have an address ill get two kits out to you today.

Seems fare enough to me, so I’ll get them swapped round and re greased and hopefully I’ll continue to have no issues……