DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:46 pm
I think DT Swiss is requiring the wheel to be sent back is because it probably takes a special tool to replace the fixed rachet within the hub.

And the strength of ten Mr Olympia champions!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If you look at the pic. you can see the fixed rachet being stopped by a machined lip. So that way the threads don't get damaged by excessive drive torque. While it's likely to be very tight, I don't think it'll be too hard to remove with the right tools. I think this is the tool needed to removed the fixed rachet from the hub. Quite pricy at $76 USD. Or you can buy a whole EXP tool set for $140 USD.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What? You can't swap bearings without removing that crazy tight thing requiring special tools?

Which hubs have this situation?
I'm going to have to tell people thinking about upgrading to avoid these.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

The threaded ratchet is acutally very easy to remove. In fact, you don't even need a wrench to do so...just place the tool in a vice, and give the wheel a twist.

The only hard part it shelling out the $$$ for the tool...

ms6073

by ms6073

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:53 pm
You can't swap bearings without removing that crazy tight thing requiring special tools?

Which hubs have this situation?
Maybe I am misunderstanding your question, but this has been a requirement for replacing the inner drive-side bearing in DT Swiss rear hubs with star ratchets for more than 20-years! On a more positive note, it is very rare for bearings needing to be replaced in a DT Swiss hub.
Last edited by ms6073 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

I've been riding LB wheels with the 240 exp hub since August 2020, probably 4-5,000 km - so far I have had 0 issues (maybe I lucked out). I do notice when descending the free hub sound starts louds and then almost disappears, but re-engages straight away when pedalling.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Have about 350 miles on them so far, no engagement issues.

Had an odd sound coming from the freehub yesterday, after rinsing some debris out of the cassette/rd/chain, prob got some water inside there. I cleaned everything out and regreased with DT red grease. Sound went away, and I’ve noticed the sound when coasting is a bit louder, and more consistent, doesn’t fade out anymore. Sounds more like my other DT hubs now.

Not sure if that really means anything, but I’ll continue to keep an eye on it, and hopefully they’ll keep working properly.

haze513

by haze513

Was just about to post the same, hopefully this resolves...

akaspin

by akaspin

Finally. Just ask seller to check serial number.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Bummer. My two recently purchased wheelsets both have '0's. At this point it's unclear to me whether DT Swiss will replace the internals on all hubs with '0's or just those that show signs of wear. It would be nice if DT Swiss can issue further guidance on how to check if one's '0' hub has the correct or bad type of surface finish. This info. was probably given to DT Swiss service centers. But how many of those service centers are out there? Are they the same as bike shops that are certified to sell DT Swiss products? I'd hate to lose the use of my wheels just for a simple inspection.

My bet is that DT Swiss just recently came to the conclusion on this. So there could be very few hubs with '1's out there, or perhaps even none! If anyone has a '1' please report it here.

Gossie

by Gossie

I have just send a question to DT Swiss asking if my hub could be affected (the serial number has the '0' in it) and they answerred quickly that they will rebuild the hub. They have send my request through to the local (The Netherlands) service center, so I am now awaiting their instructions which probably will come after the weekend.

WizzyBob

by WizzyBob

I've been in touch with them over the past week and they told me they've been gathering information over the past few weeks with all the exp issues that were reported to them, I guess they wanted to wait until they had a fix before they said anything. They was aware of this and the mtbr thread.

I'm just glad they know what the issue is and this should be the end of it, I was worried this was going to drag on and on with the hub not being fixed and having to be returned to them again.

Mines at the uk service centre, they should have the parts in the next few days to change in the hub so hopefully I'll have the wheel back soon

haze513

by haze513

Mine's there too Bob, hopefully will be sorted soon.

Happy with how they've handled it to be honest, I'd rather wait wait for a proper diagnosis and fix rather than a rushed rebuild and further problems down the line...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Just saw a commet under the MTBR thread that is interesting. I have 305 miles on one wheel and 205 miles on another wheel, so far with no issues. I'm hoping that once I passed the 500mi. mark chances are mine are OK. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quoted from DT Swiss via MTBR
What we have seen in most cases with EXP hubs not engaging is the problem presents itself within 100 miles of riding, if you have several hundred miles on the hubs then I would say that you are in good shape! but I would still strongly suggest that you inspect the internals of the hub very closely and see if there is damage to the teeth of that ratchets or scaring inside the free hub body. If you notice any damage then these parts will need to be replaced.
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.