DT Swiss 240 EXP - Engagement Problems

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

LouisN wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:16 pm
I'm looking to buy a DtSwiss 240 Classic EXP set. Do they have the same problem as the Straight pull batch ?

Louis :)
Most responsoible retailers are aware of the problem and checking their batches for any affected products and removing them.

At this stage, you should be fine with a new wheelset.

You can always check with the retailer though.

NSWCruiser

by NSWCruiser

eucalyptus wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:56 am
NSWCruiser wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:16 pm
CtV wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:39 am
And again....got the wheel back from my LBS.. and just after 1,5 half weeks of riding the freehub sound got dampend a lot again...first sign of failure...and yesterday it started to creak like crazy, just like it was doing before the freehub broke down..god, its the 3rd hub in 3 months...did anybody experience the same problem apearing after changing the freehub?
Wait, what?

I just sent in my rear wheel to the distributor for repair as I contacted DT Swiss for recurring no engagement problem. My DT180 rear hub belongs to the affected batch and quickly DT Swiss CS sent the kits to the local distributor for repair. Kudos for that.

Now waiting for the job done. Though it really worries me if this problem will occur again in the future. DT hubs were supposed to be reliable before the EXP. And now I am doing everything to avoid new wheels with DT internals :(
I didn't even know 180 EXP had this issue like the 240. I am riding two pairs with 180 exp for almost 10K combined and it works great, purchased it in early 2020. My friends with 240 exp all got their ratchets replaced.
I sent in for replacement and just got it back. The service centre told me they replaced the whole driver and Rachets, hope they will be ok.
2023 S-WORKS EPIC EVO
2024 S-WORKS TARMAC SL8

Retired
-------------
2022 Cervelo R5
2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ferrit

by Ferrit

I have a pair of Roval CLX Alpinist supplied last summer on my new Colnago C64. I have now experienced the freewheel failure twice.

First time it fixed itself and then after some research, checked the serial number, which says it is not an effected unit. I then ordered the right DT Special grease (I now have lots of companies 'special greases'), rebuild and have used it for a few weeks and now last Thursday it did it again and I had to free it up as it was jammed up inside.

Th thing is I have experienced the fron CR doing off things and almost dropping the chain, and the odd wirring noise. I am now chasing Sigma Sport where the bike and wheel were purchased last summer. Being my posh summer bike I have only completed 1400k in the dry

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Hey all... I've got some DT Swiss questions and it seems this thread is probably the best place to ask them. I just got a set of ARC 1100 wheels that I bought from the pros closet. They are used, but look fairly new, with minimal cosmetic blemishes on them. The wheelset came with a ratchet XDR driver, but I run Shimano. After finding this thread and DT Swiss's support page I had a look at the rear hub and it has a 308 product number.

I purchased this ratchet exp conversion for Shimano. My first question is... does this mean that I'm not really in need of replacement hub parts as the conversion will have given me knew parts? The second question I have is that I can't get my Ultegra 8000 cassette onto the free hub. It is as if the free hub is smaller by 1 gear. I got out my calipers and comparing it to the other Shimano hub, it is definitely shorter. Did you just buy the wrong one? Thanks in advance.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

You will need to obtain a new and improved single rachet from DT Swiss. Toss the movable rachet in the trash. As for your second question, someone sent you the MTB freehub. The link you provided shows the correct, road freehub. But someone sent you the wrong freehub. The freehub itself is not the cause for the engagement issue. It's the rachet. But the defective rachet can damage a good freehub. So when you do receive your replacement freehub don't use it until DT Swiss sends you the new rachet. Btw DT Swiss will send you a new and free freehub, even if you request a freehub that is different than the freehub that comes with your bike. So if you could return the wrong MTB freehub you can do so. Then as DT Swiss to send you a new Shimano 11-speed road freehub. They will do that free of charge.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 6:16 am
You will need to obtain a new and improved single rachet from DT Swiss. Toss the movable rachet in the trash. As for your second question, someone sent you the MTB freehub. The link you provided shows the correct, road freehub. But someone sent you the wrong freehub. The freehub itself is not the cause for the engagement issue. It's the rachet. But the defective rachet can damage a good freehub. So when you do receive your replacement freehub don't use it until DT Swiss sends you the new rachet. Btw DT Swiss will send you a new and free freehub, even if you request a freehub that is different than the freehub that comes with your bike. So if you could return the wrong MTB freehub you can do so. Then as DT Swiss to send you a new Shimano 11-speed road freehub. They will do that free of charge.
Can anyone pont me to the part number for the correct road freehub?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 5:21 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 6:16 am
Can anyone pont me to the part number for the correct road freehub?
HWRCBL00S2726S. I got this from the link you provided.

Just send DT Swiss support an email and let them know you have a serial number 308. They will ask for a photo of the serial number. They will ask what freehub would you like, and you tell them Shimano 11-speed 'road'. They will send you HWRCBL00S2726S, along with a new, revised ratchet along with a small tube of the red grease.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

The part I got from Backcountry/Competitive is HWYCBL00S5380S, which I beleive is 11 speed mountain bike, not road.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I reached out to DT Swiss yesterday and they are going to send me a new flaoting ratchet and freehub for Shimano. I sent the rep pictures of the freehub that Competitive/backcountry sent to me and he confirmed that it is a mountain freehub.

itapersita

by itapersita

Hi, anyone here owning a pair of Farsport wheels with dt Swiss 240 hub? I bought them almost 2 years ago.

Today I was riding (the bike has about 3k in because I have just finished to alleblu it so most of the time the wheels have been not used) and suddenly there was any engage between the cassette and the hub: any pedal stroke result in just a spinning on the cassette but no actual rotation on the wheel. So I had to find a way to go back home (35k) and it was not nice.

I would like to know if among us there is someone with these wheels and the same problem as mine and did he do.

Thanks 🙏

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Anyone find that randomly some endcaps are a REALLY tight fit on some hub axles? I switched out an HG freehub for an XDR one and I had to smack the XDR endcap into place with a mallet. Presumably I'll have to use a softjaw adapter + vise to get it off later.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

If the ratched doesn't engage, bounce your bike on the ground a few times. And if this doesn't help just remove the wheel, pull the freehub+cassette, strech the spring a little and then put it back together. No tools needed and you'll be able to get home.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:58 pm
Anyone find that randomly some endcaps are a REALLY tight fit on some hub axles? I switched out an HG freehub for an XDR one and I had to smack the XDR endcap into place with a mallet. Presumably I'll have to use a softjaw adapter + vise to get it off later.
Not the same problem but my end caps on 180 exp hubs get stuck increasing tons of drag resistance/friction. My mechanic had to service them, not sure what he did but a lot smoother now.
Kinda sucks the end caps get stuck and not rotating smoothly

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

eucalyptus wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:09 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:58 pm
Not the same problem but my end caps on 180 exp hubs get stuck increasing tons of drag resistance/friction. My mechanic had to service them, not sure what he did but a lot smoother now.
Kinda sucks the end caps get stuck and not rotating smoothly

The endcaps shouldn't be rotating, nor the hub axle. But a stuck endcap could be applying an inappropriate amount of preload...maybe. I assumed that DT Swiss hardware was made to exacting tolerances so that preload wasn't an issue. This obviously isn't the case since my XDR DS endcap had to be hammered on.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

itapersita wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:51 pm
Hi, anyone here owning a pair of Farsport wheels with dt Swiss 240 hub? I bought them almost 2 years ago.

Today I was riding (the bike has about 3k in because I have just finished to alleblu it so most of the time the wheels have been not used) and suddenly there was any engage between the cassette and the hub: any pedal stroke result in just a spinning on the cassette but no actual rotation on the wheel. So I had to find a way to go back home (35k) and it was not nice.

I would like to know if among us there is someone with these wheels and the same problem as mine and did he do.

Thanks 🙏
Have the hubs ever been serviced? I've seen people talk about some hubs having too much grease applied after servicing.. and the grease binds up the springs, preventing the two sides from pushing back on each other and engaging. Google some DT hub videos. It is super easy to take apart and service, just make sure you have the DT Special grease.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com