Wheel depth struggle... 65mm too much?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

19dford78

by 19dford78

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a struggle at the minute. A nice problem to have being that I activated £2k cycle scheme voucher last year without actually buying a bike with it. So it's paid off and sat there. So I've been thinking wheels....

I've been contemplating:
- zipp 404's firecrest (heavy'ish)
- enve foundation 65's
- giant slr1's 65mm (my mate reckons get these and use the money for some di2 upgrades)

I've got 35mm hollowgrams on my bike currently so sorted for hillier rides. Most of my riding is rolly flattish with the odd short climb 5-10 mins.

I'm 73-75kg, no powerhouse but can hold steady watts, 300'ish ftp.

Is 65mm too much depth for an everyday bike? Both aesthetics and performance

I fitted my mates 65mm's on my bike to get an idea. I don't think it looks awful but can't help but think the 404's are a better fit.

Any help gratefully received, this ones been doing me in a bit as it's a pretty extravagant purchase.

Attachments
7983907A-7EB1-46D4-A815-BC14805F5FAC.jpeg

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

I run 65mm and I've actually gone 65mm rear 42 front. Oddly enough Giant slr disc too. I personally find the 65mm ideal for climbing as that big old chunk of carbon super stiff coupled with short spokes great for me. I'm not a competitive rider so seconds here or there going up not important. Obviously it motors on the flat and the 42mm cossets the bike from side winds with the weight being on the rear wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

19dford78

by 19dford78

diegogarcia wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:52 pm
I run 65mm and I've actually gone 65mm rear 42 front. Oddly enough Giant slr disc too. I personally find the 65mm ideal for climbing as that big old chunk of carbon super stiff coupled with short spokes great for me. I'm not a competitive rider so seconds here or there going up not important. Obviously it motors on the flat and the 42mm cossets the bike from side winds with the weight being on the rear wheel.
Thanks, really appreciate that. The giant wheels are great value for money and look great. Hard to justify the £600 difference between them and the enve's.

I have thought I'd end up leaving the rear in place and dropping a shallower one on the front for windier days.

35's to 65's are decent enough change to make a difference for different rides.

I like the sound of motoring along on the flat. It's flat dull roads to get out to the country by me so nice to get them done with.

I think I'll give giant a call tomorrow and see what they have. If no joy it could be the enve's..

SLH

by SLH

Have you considered these? DT Swiss ARC 1100?

https://www.bellatisport.com/shop/produ ... beles.html
Look 795 Blade RS
Sram Red AXS
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 50

19dford78

by 19dford78

SLH wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:34 pm
Have you considered these? DT Swiss ARC 1100?

https://www.bellatisport.com/shop/produ ... beles.html
They look really nice. I'll have a google. Thanks

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

19dford78 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:15 pm
diegogarcia wrote:
Thanks, really appreciate that. The giant wheels are great value for money and look great. Hard to justify the £600 difference between them and the enve's.

I have thought I'd end up leaving the rear in place and dropping a shallower one on the front for windier days.

I like the sound of motoring along on the flat. It's flat dull roads to get out to the country by me so nice to get them done with.

I think I'll give giant a call tomorrow and see what they have. If no joy it could be the enve's..
Cool. No worries. I really like the DBL hub design from Giant and I find the wheels far stiffer than Zipp as a starter for ten. Worth noting that road cycle exchange in London had a set 65/42 disc for under a grand in stock in mint condition which knocks all the other options into a cocked hat.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

On that bike 65's are a bit much aesthetically. But that's a personal taste thing so others may think it's fine (despite how unbalanced it looks :D )
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

I run 55 f/r year around, costal climate so wind is always present (most of the time, a lot of wind).

For everyday riding i would not go over that, as cross winds at costal areas can push me 1 meter side/side (85kg, 1.96m, så not small by any means) in the spring/fall winds here. Makes for a shaky ride that's mentally fatiguing. Perfect in the summer.

AJS914

by AJS914

I think the 65s look fast on this aero bike. I think it comes down to whether you want that last 5-10 watts for the group ride battle and whether you are willing to put up with being blown around. Cut the steerer tube down for better "aesthetics". :-)

19dford78

by 19dford78

diegogarcia wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:53 pm
19dford78 wrote:
diegogarcia wrote:

Cool. No worries. I really like the DBL hub design from Giant and I find the wheels far stiffer than Zipp as a starter for ten. Worth noting that road cycle exchange in London had a set 65/42 disc for under a grand in stock in mint condition which knocks all the other options into a cocked hat.
I checked that out, agree, great combo and price. Going to have a look at my mates see if I can get rid of the graphics. Great find thanks 👍

19dford78

by 19dford78

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:47 am
On that bike 65's are a bit much aesthetically. But that's a personal taste thing so others may think it's fine (despite how unbalanced it looks :D )
Haha yeah, I think that is part of my dilemma. Prob why I lean to the zipps, but can't get over their weight. Heavier than the enve's!

19dford78

by 19dford78

MaxPower wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:49 am
I run 55 f/r year around, costal climate so wind is always present (most of the time, a lot of wind).

For everyday riding i would not go over that, as cross winds at costal areas can push me 1 meter side/side (85kg, 1.96m, så not small by any means) in the spring/fall winds here. Makes for a shaky ride that's mentally fatiguing. Perfect in the summer.
Thanks for the insight. I'm not fully coastal but not far off. I've got the 35mm hollowgram's for the windy windy days I guess.

Get the point about the mental fatigue from the constant monitoring. Summer fun is where I'm heading hopefully.

If the zipps were 200g lighter, I think it'd be a no brainer.

19dford78

by 19dford78

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:15 pm
I think the 65s look fast on this aero bike. I think it comes down to whether you want that last 5-10 watts for the group ride battle and whether you are willing to put up with being blown around. Cut the steerer tube down for better "aesthetics". :-)
Haha that is on the to do list... I'm not sold on the knot combo to be honest, so that could be getting swapped out at some point. But definitely need to sort my steerer game out :D

19dford78

by 19dford78

19dford78 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:53 pm
diegogarcia wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:53 pm
19dford78 wrote:
diegogarcia wrote:

I checked that out, agree, great combo and price. Going to have a look at my mates see if I can get rid of the graphics. Great find thanks 👍
Also spoke with the giant shop today, no slr1 rears in until mid may. Apparently not had them all year. Probable rules them out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Don't forget about width.
Shallower rim that match tire width will be faster than (not too much) deeper wheel that the tire is wider than the rim.
Get 65mm deep and 32mm wide rim if possible. 28mm wide rim is also acceptable. But try not to buy narrower rim anymore.