Wheel depth struggle... 65mm too much?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Bfriesen wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:20 am
Hexsense wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:49 pm
rides4beer wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:23 pm
65 is a bit deep for an SSE, imo, but aesthetics are very personal. Would def be a fast setup tho. I'm putting a set of 56mm LB wheels on my SSE (whenever they get here lol), and that's as deep as I'd go. Don't know how the cycle scheme works, but I'm guessing you're limited as to where you can buy them. Are Scribe or Parcours an option? Both seem to get good reviews.
I'm actually in the process of getting 65mm deep rear wheel (WR65) for my Supersix Evo. Front wheel remains 56mm deep (AR56) to keep crosswind handling trivial for my body size and 145lbs weight.
To make it even more out of proportion, my Supersix Evo is size 48. I think deep wheel skinny frame still looks way better than deep frame tubes pair with skinny rims.
It looks a lot more normal for climber bike with deep wheel than aero bike with less than 30mm deep wheel.
Any chance you have a photo of the supersix with the WR65's on it?
WR65 rear wheel fitted to the Supersix Evo size 48.
Attachments
CVT09591.jpg

emotive

by emotive

Hexsense wrote: WR65 rear wheel fitted to the Supersix Evo size 48.
That looks fantastic. The more I look at deeper wheels the more normal they look.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

emotive wrote:
Hexsense wrote: WR65 rear wheel fitted to the Supersix Evo size 48.
That looks fantastic. The more I look at deeper wheels the more normal they look.
I think it’s the frame-wheel combo that makes it look good, and the red one does look good. Deep wheels tend to look better on a small frame with a short head tube and slammed stem. As the frame size goes up, that is as the head tube gets taller and the spacers get added, the deep wheel look starts to get more and more ugly.

Compare this one to the pic of the XL size frame in post #1 and the difference is obvious. One looks good and one looks awkward

19dford78

by 19dford78

Well this thread carried on!

I finally got my act together and ordered the ryot55's. They arrived today but unfortunately the wrong tyres came, so fun and games this weekend for me!

19dford78

by 19dford78

rides4beer wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:40 pm
Got my AR56s a week ago and have put about 350 miles on them.

Started with a 25mm GP5K up front, but switched to a 28mm because I’m 84kg and the roads here are pretty rough. Prob give up a few watts in the wind tunnel, but no perceptible change in speed while riding. They handle pretty well in the wind too, yesterday was about 15mph with gusts, no issues, handled gusts about the same as my 30mm wheels. Only difference was when there was a steady crosswind, I could feel it pushing me more, just had to lean into it a bit, but that’s to be expected with any deep wheel from increasing the sail effect.

28mm GP5K measures to just over 30mm, and since the rim is actually about 30.25mm wide, it gives a nice flush appearance. Pic is with a 28mm on the rear and 25mm up front, which measures to a lil over 28mm.

1455g w/ DT240EXP hubs.

Love the look of the bike and wheels 👌

How were the go5k's to mount, are they tubeless?

rides4beer

by rides4beer

19dford78 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 6:35 pm

Thanks! They're clinchers, easy to mount, I lay them in the sun to let them warm up and then can mount them by hand. I've heard the TLs are a lot harder to mount.

19dford78

by 19dford78

rides4beer wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:49 am
19dford78 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 6:35 pm

Thanks! They're clinchers, easy to mount, I lay them in the sun to let them warm up and then can mount them by hand. I've heard the TLs are a lot harder to mount.
Great thanks. I didn't pick up that were clinchers - I've had some of them, took me at least 3 bottles of beer to mount them!

I am going to go for the TL's on the ryot55's you recommended. We'll see how 1 fair, I'll be well happy with 3 beers!

19dford78

by 19dford78

Finally put the wheels on.

But of a game with the tyres - still not got the ones I want on, but that'll wait. Just want to get the wheels moving.

Here it is.

Thanks for the suggestion from rides4beer. Really happy with these so far. They look great and freehub sounds nice. Can't wait to get some decent miles on them.

Got some ultegra rotors to go on and should probably sort the chimney stack out on the stem.
Attachments
5F9F7610-6A47-4EAA-8398-2161A3BDC2A6.jpeg