Roval CLX32 Brake track - discolouration

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bsharp77

by bsharp77

Hi all,

After much debate, I treated myself a couple of weeks ago to a new set of Roval CLX32 for my rim brake S-Works Tarmac SL6.
The wheels functionally are fine, but after just 2 rides, the brake track has gone a white/yellowish colour which to me is totally unacceptable.
I contacted the retailer, who in turn contacted Specialized, who have claimed this is normal for all Roval wheels.
I’m so disappointed- the look of the wheels is important to me as my SL6 is custom painted and I thought this would be a perfect upgrade in therms of style and functionality.

When paying top money, is it too much to expect a nice finish too?! I have a set of Aeolus 3, 5 years old and they still look pristine!
The retailer says there is nothing they can do.

The offical response from Specialized was: "The slight yellow tint he is seeing is normal and the brake track can change colour because of heat. The brake track is masked during production, leaving raw carbon that is not UV protected, UV radiations combined with heat can cause the change in colour."

Has anyone had experience of this? Have I any options left or do I just have to accept it?
To be honest, if that’s the case I’ll sell them and buy a set of hand built a which I was considering in the first place.

Any help appreciated.
IMG_3784.jpg
IMG_3787.jpg
IMG_3789.jpg

jas0nt

by jas0nt

I really don't see the problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bsharp77

by bsharp77

Then why reply??

It's an aesthetic issue, not a functional one, so therefore not everyone will have a problem with it.

I feel after paying 1500 quid that I have a right to a set of wheels that look good on top of performing well....not too much to ask really.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

What brake pads are you using?

AJS914

by AJS914

bsharp77 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:56 pm

It's an aesthetic issue, not a functional one, so therefore not everyone will have a problem with it.
I can't even see the aesthetic issue in the pics. They look like every other brake track I've seen. Just like with aluminum rims, it's normal to have some brake track wear or pad deposits. Eventually they may completely wear out but it takes a lot of time if you always use correct pads.

The expectation of a brake track that never shows wear isn't in line with the reality of the product.

ichobi

by ichobi

I had these wheels. It's normal. I don't like it but it's what it is. It will discolour even more if you ride and brake in the rain or with dirt on your brakepad. What will happen is that the dust and dirt on your brakepad will bed in with the braketrack when you apply braking. This answer won't satisfy you but know that it's normal for these wheels and it won't damage your wheels nor worese the braking ability. To make it less worse, make sure you clean the wheels and the brake pads often.

bsharp77

by bsharp77

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:34 pm

The expectation of a brake track that never shows wear isn't in line with the reality of the product.
My expectation is based on my last 2 sets of carbon wheels, Bontrager Aeolus and Winspace Hyper, both of which both still looked immaculate no matter how much I used them.
I thought it would have followed that a premium wheel such as the Roval would at the very least follow suit.

Oh well, hard lesson learnt.
Wheels still perform well so will use for a while and will ultimately go for a set of hand builts and move these on.

Thanks all for the replies.

jas0nt

by jas0nt

bsharp77 wrote:
Then why reply??
Sorry for replying with something you didn't want to hear. My point is you're being too picky.

bsharp77

by bsharp77

jas0nt wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:11 pm
bsharp77 wrote:
Then why reply??
Sorry for replying with something you didn't want to hear. My point is you're being too picky.
When spending 1500 quid on wheels I can be as picky as I want.
Just because you think it looks alright is irrelevant.

Anyway.....I think we're done here.

Maddie

by Maddie

Of course you can be as picky as you want. But a slight discoloration is normal as others have mentioned. Consider yourself lucky if your former wheels didn't change in color, because that is unusual. It's not a Roval thing.

If you are using SwissStop Yellow pads then you might consider a switch to something like Black Prince Evo.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

That’s why I asked, what brake pads are your running? Because Yellow or Blue brake pads often leave marks ik their respective color.

botacalor

by botacalor

bsharp77 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:08 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:34 pm

My expectation is based on my last 2 sets of carbon wheels, Bontrager Aeolus and Winspace Hyper, both of which both still looked immaculate no matter how much I used them.
I thought it would have followed that a premium wheel such as the Roval would at the very least follow suit.

Oh well, hard lesson learnt.
Wheels still perform well so will use for a while and will ultimately go for a set of hand builts and move these on.

Thanks all for the replies.
How you compared this clx32 with the winspace hyper?
I'm between this two models to buy...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com