Rim Brake Squeal - Farsports Kaze

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

So you have just about the stiffest brakes going and you still have squeal. Sorry to hear that. I moved my Kaze's to my Parlee with 1st generation Sram Red brakes which are pretty mediocre and they are nearly always silent with very good stopping power. It just shows you that it comes down to a combination of factors. I would recommend trying the Reynolds pads recommended above. I bought a few sets thinking I wasn't going survive the Black Prince squeal, but once on the Parlee no need for the Reynolds - the Black Prince are working fine. Also, I got caught in a torential rainstorm with the Kaze and the wet braking was freaking phenomenal. A little hesitation to clear the water and then wam - excellent braking power! What a thrill.

On my Factor, where the Kaze's were so noisy, I now have LightBicycle AR46 and they are silent with the supplied LB blue pads, no toe in, no rim cleaning, etc. just square everything up and go. But note that while the braking is good, they have nowhere near the insane stopping power of the Farsports Kaze. I will have to try them with the Black Prince to make it a fair comparison.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pinguin

by Pinguin

Anything news?
I am also in the boat of kaze squealing
Tested Black Prince,Campa Carbon Red Pads and Blue Lifeline Pads,all three pads quite when cold,but if brake track gets hot there is terrible noise
Toed in brings no success

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

You’re on the right track with cleaning and sanding the rims/pads. This is something that I would do every 500-700 miles as a refresh to the brakes. I'm hard on brakes.

If everything is tight and setup correctly, then it's a resonance issue. What you need to do is change something in the system, isolate the system with a damper or add weight to move outside the natural frequency range. There is a good chance the it’s the frame flexing and oscillating.
I’ve used a viscoelastic damper material between the pad holders/calipers and Dynomatt on the caliper arms or frame.
Ride fast Take chances

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Alexbn921 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:51 pm
You’re on the right track with cleaning and sanding the rims/pads. This is something that I would do every 500-700 miles as a refresh to the brakes. I'm hard on brakes.

If everything is tight and setup correctly, then it's a resonance issue. What you need to do is change something in the system, isolate the system with a damper or add weight to move outside the natural frequency range. There is a good chance the it’s the frame flexing and oscillating.
I’ve used a viscoelastic damper material between the pad holders/calipers and Dynomatt on the caliper arms or frame.
Good idea - never thought of that. Any specific dynomatt product that works for you? might give that a try with the TT bike were the brakes are very flexy (V-brakes) and can make a lot of noise.
Are you just making patches with a whole in it and but it between the calibers mounting bolt/bolts?

tonchy

by tonchy

I have 0 issues on Kaze tubulars with pads, provided by Winspace along their Hyper wheels.
With Black Prince pads, which came with Kaze wheels, just minor squeal.

Visus

by Visus

Alexbn921 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:51 pm

what's that viscoelastic damper material you used?

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Dynomatt can't be used on a mounting surface but can be used on the brake arms and various holes in the calipers. It can also be use around the mounting locations. I've also put it on the arms of my brake disks. In the end swapping to a stronger bullet caliper mount solved my issues.

Viscoelastic material can be used in between, and I punched a hole for the bolts to pass through.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y ... UTF8&psc=1
Ride fast Take chances

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Alexbn921 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:28 pm
Dynomatt can't be used on a mounting surface but can be used on the brake arms and various holes in the calipers. It can also be use around the mounting locations. I've also put it on the arms of my brake disks. In the end swapping to a stronger bullet caliper mount solved my issues.

Viscoelastic material can be used in between, and I punched a hole for the bolts to pass through.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y ... UTF8&psc=1
thanks for the clarification - have some dynamatt in the mail - will try to put some here and there on the arms.
Last edited by MaxPower on Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

double post