Best handling 40-50mm wide disc clinchers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

andreas

by andreas

I'm currently running a Venge with a set of Roval CL50 with 25mm front/28mm rear GP5000S TL tires.
I initially planned on using the stock wheels because their width (20.7/29.4mm) allows to adhere to the 105% rule with these tires, but I find myself hating them in crosswinds, they feel really nervous so I want to switch them out for something else.

So the question is what wide disc clincher wheels with a 40-50-mm profile handles wind best? I've read recommendations of the Reynolds Aero DB series, even some people swapping exactly the CL50 wheelset out for them to get better handling, but they are not available in my country & taxes make them too expensive to import.

How about stuff like the Knot wheels that come with the SystemSix f.ex., or the 3T set? Any recommendations?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timmerrr

by timmerrr

Rapide CLX, that front wheel is magic. Just road a friends SL7 and was shocked at how well it behaves in cross winds.
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

Toybota

by Toybota

AR46 Falcon from light bicycle have been my favourite go anywhere wheelset. Much better than my CLX50s that I use on my Tarmac.
Also can be had for dirt cheap.

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

+1 CLX - insanely stable in crosswinds

andreas

by andreas

Toybota wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:15 pm
AR46 Falcon from light bicycle have been my favourite go anywhere wheelset. Much better than my CLX50s that I use on my Tarmac.
Thanks, did you consider the even wider WR45 Falcon?

Thing that gets my confused is that there are so many mixed reports with the CL/CLX 50, they feature the same rims on both models, so I'm really confused as to why a wheelset that's being used regularily on the WT can feel so nervous to some yet be praised as one of the best handlers by others.

I'm using the previous generation model, not the one they released last year that didn't have tubeless support. I see they claim Rapide CLX 2020-gen is "25% more stable" than the previous gen wheels. Although it's hard to take Specialized's marketing at face value, it looks like they might actually have fixed the rim design handling issues.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

It is sacrelige to hear for some but I always thought toroidal rims are the best in crosswinds. That puts the widest point in the middle of the rim so the wind can go around both ways without much difference. This assumes the tire isn't wider than the rim at the interface.

Just look at enve wheelsets. The front is much more toroidally shaped than the rear, and shallower.

CL50 looks like a V-shaped rim with the widest point at the tire interface.

backdoor

by backdoor

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:36 am
....I always thought toroidal rims are the best in crosswinds. That puts the widest point in the middle of the rim so the wind can go around both ways without much difference.
This.

And these...

Fast. Stable. Solid.
Through the Valleys and over the Mountains...
2013 Ridley Helium - 6.9Kg
2017 Blue ProSecco - 9.0Kg
2018 Ridley Noah SL - 7.85Kg

snaxez

by snaxez

What about new FarSport Feder 28mm wide 45mm deep rims?

Toybota

by Toybota

andreas wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:17 am
Toybota wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:15 pm
Thanks, did you consider the even wider WR45 Falcon?

Thing that gets my confused is that there are so many mixed reports with the CL/CLX 50, they feature the same rims on both models, so I'm really confused as to why a wheelset that's being used regularily on the WT can feel so nervous to some yet be praised as one of the best handlers by others.

I'm using the previous generation model, not the one they released last year that didn't have tubeless support. I see they claim Rapide CLX 2020-gen is "25% more stable" than the previous gen wheels. Although it's hard to take Specialized's marketing at face value, it looks like they might actually have fixed the rim design handling issues.
I never rode WR45, so it's hard to say..

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Have used the Hollowgram Knot 45s in all manner of conditions and they handle as well as any deep rim, and better than my Zipp 404s, in serious wind. I'm only 60kgs and rode them through a British winter. Just be careful you get the 'SL' model with the better hubs if you do go for them. With Corsas they were sublime.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

scatsob

by scatsob

I ordered the WR50 for the front on my set since they got great reviews in cross winds. Even the WR65 seemed to do ok based on reviews but I think the couple people that have said that were closer to my weight or more at 85kg+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morganb

by morganb

What front tires are people running on the WR series rims? I'm mulling about a WR50 set or a WR50 front with an AR55 rear but the internal width seems too wide for most road tires I would run.

frnchy

by frnchy

morganb wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:54 pm
What front tires are people running on the WR series rims? I'm mulling about a WR50 set or a WR50 front with an AR55 rear but the internal width seems too wide for most road tires I would run.
I run 28 mm Corsa Controls front/rear on WR50s, they measure ~31-32 mm and this is the minimum width I would feel comfortable with, and even then I need a tire with wide tread for peace of mind. Excellent crosswind handling, very controllable with gusts of 30+ mph. Caveat, my total weight (me + bike) is about 90 kilos; much lighter riders will probably not do so well in crosswinds.

andreas

by andreas

While the 2020 Rapide CLX sounds like they're really good handlers (also confirmed by the Hunt white paper as far as I can tell), pricing and tubeless compatibility makes the LB AR/WR series more attractive... Anyone tried both in windy conditions?

bruno2000

by bruno2000

What about the Zipp303S, wide profile, 45mm, should have the same behavious as a Rapide CLX, little bit heavier but way more budget friendly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com