DT Swiss PR 1400 Dicut Oxic (rim brake) - long term user experiences?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Digger90

by Digger90

I'm seeking a quality, reasonably light weight, reasonably priced, new alu rim brake clincher wheelset with black/grey/graphite or whatever braking surface (I know... vanity :? ).

I've read just about everything on the Interwebs about these wheels - but there are precious few long-term owner reports or pictures.

Do they hold up well?

Do the brake tracks show signs of wear after long-term use?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

one60

by one60

Enjoy them enough to purchase both versions. No issues wrt to brake track wearing off after thousands of miles. Excellent braking with the BXP pads.

Apv

by Apv

In summary, I wouldn't really recommend for the price. The wheels are good and a light top-end alloy wheel, but there are some common issues that I cannot overlook.

Things I like:
- Aesthetics. Black rims that last fairly well compared to all other anodized black rims.
- Braking. Alloy rim brakes are pretty nice compared to carbon rims.
- Hubs. DT240s with 36T ratchet makes a nice buzz. It's not as loud as the 54T, but a lot nicer than 18T that comes standard when you buy a 240 hub on its own.
- Weight. It's a competitive weight for the price range.

Things I didn't like:
- Spoke issue. After 2 months of use, I noticed a pinging noise from the spokes which sounded like a few spokes had poor tension, especially when going slower or climbing. I couldn't really judge the tension by feel so I took it back to the shop where I purchased the wheels, and we ended up replacing rim and retensioning the spokes twice, sending them back to DT Swiss' UK distributor. That issue never really went away until one day a spoke snapped. I rep
- Aluminium nipples. Corrosion in the winter sucks and I noticed that white corrosion powder around the nipples after a winter. When the spoke snapped, I replaced all the nipples with black brass nipples and so far its been fine, and I haven't had any spoke sound issues.
- [not really an issue for me] Rim wear. The rim stays black for a fairly long time, but it does show a little bit of wear especially when the brake pads are contaminated with grit. I'm now in the third year with these wheels now and use them in all seasons, and noticed the rim wear in year 2. I'm surprised how long they do last, they're much better at staying black than anodized rims like H+ son archetypes, and similar to Mavic's Exalith.
- Kind of narrow? They're a bit wider than the 15c rims back in the day, but do wish they were a bit wider.

I haven't tested them with tubeless tyres yet, so I can't comment on tyre compatibility.

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

I have a pair. They are light for alloy. But narrow and catches more crosswind than 50mm rims that I have. Also, front bearing got gritty after weekend of wet riding through Acadia... perhaps DT Swiss should use better seal on the bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yinya

by yinya

Very poor for tubeless.

galr1

by galr1

Mine are about 12 months old, got about 6k km on them and very happy so far.

Only issue I’ve had is with veloflex corsa side walls getting cut by the bead, which I was told could be an issue dt rims. Veloflex warrantied the tyres so I will see how long these last, then switch to the new sps if I get an issue again.

Braking is excellent on these, but am on my 3rd set of pads already, so it’s worth getting a few extra sets in.

Few pics below, excuse the dirt...
ImageImage

Calbs

by Calbs

18,000km on mine.

Pros
Great hubs (240s).
Rims still black - little to no wear at all.
One spoke required half a turn about 5,000km ago, otherwise have stayed dead true.
Look great.

Cons
Some spoke "tinging" at low speed. I think it's the spokes rubbing at cross-over. Seem to go away once you're underway.
Ate a set of pads in the first 700km. After that they settled in and have only had to replace them once more (current set have nearly 10,000km on them and still have life in them).

Woukd definitely buy again if I hadn't strayed to discs.

aug11x

by aug11x

I have around 15k km on my PR1400.

+great hubs. 240 is always a safe bet.
+good ride quality and weight.

-spoke pinging. Very annoying. The solution is to wipe the spokecrossings with a rag, and it is silent for a couple of 100k's
-the black anodizing holds up ok, but after a ride in really bonkers rain and some sandy tarmac roads it suddenly became pretty silver-ish 😝
-swapped out the rear rim after that (with a PR1400 35), but same thing happened after a 200k gravel ride.

I would have bought them again, but not the Oxic version.

robertbb

by robertbb

galr1 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:21 pm
Mine are about 12 months old, got about 6k km on them and very happy so far.

Only issue I’ve had is with veloflex corsa side walls getting cut by the bead, which I was told could be an issue dt rims. Veloflex warrantied the tyres so I will see how long these last, then switch to the new sps if I get an issue again.

Braking is excellent on these, but am on my 3rd set of pads already, so it’s worth getting a few extra sets in.

Few pics below, excuse the dirt...
ImageImage

If I mak ask, what do your veloflex corsa 28's measure at (at, say, 85psi) on these 18c rims?

They come up at about 27mm on my C17 rims. Wonder how much of a difference the extra 1mm internal makes...

I also wonder if it's the oxic coating that cut through the tyres, rather than an issue with rim shape/finish. That oxic stuff is very abrasive... could be like sandpaper on a cotton sidewall.

Lukus

by Lukus

I've had a pair 2 years now with approx 4000 miles a year. Used in all weather.

Pros
Weight was as stated
Breaking excellent in all conditions
Stayed true
Break surface looks same as the day I got them
Nice hubs

Cons
Poor design for tubeless. I've ended up giving in as it's too much of a faff and I'm not convinced of the interface.
Pinging from rear hub in the wet (apparently fixed by packing the hub with some grease on non drive side)
Slight flex when giving it some beans

Expect a lot of wear on your first one or two sets of pads.

leolas

by leolas

As far as spoke pinging in the rear wheel is considered I taped the crossing section of the spokes with some material tape from Tesa (https://www.bueroshop24.de/tesa-extra-p ... DoQAvD_BwE)

That solved the problem for good. The rubber sealing on my bearings makes the smoothness of the wheel spinning without load questionable. The sealing just its job since there is no corrosion/water residues after wet rides withing the bearing itsfelf but the my Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels ( 180 euro for a pair) spin much better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I picked up a second hand set of these wheels for a good price and experienced the spoke noise from the rear wheel. A bit of grease on each crossing fixed the issue, but I don't know how long the grease will last. I absolutely hate noises on my bike so I may follow your idea of wrapping the spokes with a bit of tape.