Roval 38 vs aeolus pro37 vs...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

powerslide

by powerslide

Hi.
Im in the market for a new wheelset for my Orbea OMR Disc. I need a allround set, that can handel roling hills and crosswinds - sort of a do it all wheelset for 28 mm tires.
Im thinking of:
Bontrager aeolus pro 37
Roval 38
Token Ventous 36
Campagnolo shamal Carbon 35/40

The price is some what the same, and the weight as well.
Do any af you guys have any input. Thank you for your time.
All the Bedst
Morten

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I hear the campagnolo g3 wheels/hubs have very little spoke flex which I would value in a disc brake wheelset.

Looking past that I'd lean towards the rovals, simply because they're pictured (in my 10 second web search) with more generously sized flanges than the bontragers and the token wheels. The rim width appears the same for all three at 21C which should suit 25 or 28C tires well.

So I'd probably order them
1 campy
2 roval
3 bontrager
4 token

I could be wrong though. Some are pictured with different hubs and as such the order could change depending on what's actually being sold.

powerslide

by powerslide

Hi Alcatraz.
Thant you for taking the time.
The campy or the bontrager migt be the one i end up looking at. I have had shamal back in the mid 90's and om my rimbrake scott Cr1 pro im om Fulcrum zero. Campy is quality, but the Bontragers ar on dts 350, and are lighter - Has eany one ridden on those wheels?

Paperboy

by Paperboy

I just picked up an émonda with the aeolus pro 37 wheels. I'll report back after I've put some miles on them.

powerslide

by powerslide

That sounds nice. I'm looking farward to your input.

MasterBean

by MasterBean

Paperboy

by Paperboy

My initial impressions of the Aeolus Pro 37 wheels is good. I mounted a set of Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix in 28c on the rim. I weigh around 165lb and have them aired up to 65/70psi front/rear. The tire doesn't ballon like the previous model. Because of this, it ends up appearing to be the same size as the previous 25c tire, when mounted to a 19mm internal (actual 28mm). The wheels feel stiff when sprinting or climbing out of the saddle. There is no noticable brake rub (flex). I also upgraded the ratchet to a 36t, from 18t. I didn't notice any lack of response when going from from freewheeling to pedaling. On a straight section of road that I tend to pedal [seated] hard, I found myself hitting 2-3mph faster than usual. That could be a lot of different factors, but I did hit those speeds on 2-3 different ocassions. Overall I am quite happy with the wheels and have no desire to try out another inexpensive, or more expensive, set. I'm a casual cyclist, but I do enjoy performance. I like to bomb downhills and sprint whenever the legs are up to it. 10:10 would buy again, especially at their price point.
Last edited by Paperboy on Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The Bontrager Pro 37s are a good deal for branded wheels, they're optimized for 25c tires though.

Paperboy

by Paperboy

jfranci3 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:50 am
The Bontrager Pro 37s are a good deal for branded wheels, they're optimized for 25c tires though.
They have an internal width of 21mm. That means they work best with 28mm tire; 19mm internal is matched with 25mm tires.

Did you mean that the bikes are optimized for 25c tires? Cause that would be correct.

chicagorider

by chicagorider

I had thought 21mm internal = 25mm tire (some Zipp research? But I don't have reference off the cuff). I have PZero 25mm fitted on my Bont aeolus XXX 4 (also has 21mm internal) and it's perfectly flush against the rim (tire measures 27/28mm). I guess depends 25mm refers to measured width!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Those are designed for a 25c tires too. Trek puts a massive hook on those to ensure the tire seats right against the rim edge. Everything looks right on those.

https://trek.scene7.com/is/content/Trek ... epaper.pdf

You want the fitted tire to be 1-2mm narrower than the widest part of the rim. It usually looks like the rim is wider than the tire instead of flush. That 25mm would get roughly 1.5 mm wider on the 21int rim. That puts you in the right spot of the measurements if the 28mm measurements are true on the rim.

Paperboy

by Paperboy

jfranci3 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:16 am
Those are designed for a 25c tires too. Trek puts a massive hook on those to ensure the tire seats right against the rim edge. Everything looks right on those.

https://trek.scene7.com/is/content/Trek ... epaper.pdf

You want the fitted tire to be 1-2mm narrower than the widest part of the rim. It usually looks like the rim is wider than the tire instead of flush. That 25mm would get roughly 1.5 mm wider on the 21int rim. That puts you in the right spot of the measurements if the 28mm measurements are true on the rim.
Just by eyeballing it, the rim appears to be flush to ~1mm wide.

I'm not hung up on aero gains, myself. I prefer compliance. I purchased a set of 30mm to try next. The lower pressures are nice.

powerslide

by powerslide

Well... Ended up getting dt swiss erc 1400. They came in at 1529g with tape and 240 hubs. Internal 19.3. I got a great deal so they were only 100 euros more than the 37pro's. My Orbea lost 664 g in the process with new gp5000 and xtr disc for the new wheels. 😉
Attachments
DSC_5187.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com