Hunt UD 36 carbon spokes wheel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

skiparock wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:56 pm
Got these last year for my cannondale. I was using mavic slr for climbing and went with these since they are (more) aero and light. Happy with everything except for the rear noise when under heavy watts (+500)on steep hills. I have not been able to get the same noise in any other situation except steep hill, speeds under 11mph, and lots of torque. Whats the noise, it sounds like the old yellow pencils that are octogon and roll it around on a desk, with a pinging tone. Since it requires heavy load, i think its the spokes contact points around the hub, not spokes touching eachother. Does it bother me enough to return, nope. The wheels performance outweighs this noise. attached 3 pics
For a 21 spoke rear to be silent for the heaviest/strongest riders when transferrring lots of torque they need an oversized drive side flange. It's so that the 7 spokes that do transfer torque are used as efficiently as possibly.

Still I agree with you that it's not the end of the world. Get a one size larger cassette and keep the cadence a bit higher and it could all work out too.

skiparock

by skiparock

skiparock wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:56 pm
Got these last year for my cannondale. I was using mavic slr for climbing and went with these since they are (more) aero and light. Happy with everything except for the rear noise when under heavy watts (+500)on steep hills. I have not been able to get the same noise in any other situation except steep hill, speeds under 11mph, and lots of torque. Whats the noise, it sounds like the old yellow pencils that are octogon and roll it around on a desk, with a pinging tone. Since it requires heavy load, i think its the spokes contact points around the hub, not spokes touching eachother. Does it bother me enough to return, nope. The wheels performance outweighs this noise. attached 3 pics
Wanted to update my post. After pulling the rear apart and regreasing the pawl's, the clicking noise under heavy load is gone. I have no idea why that could have been the cause but the noise is no longer. Now im ready to say these wheels are awesome and no issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com