Carbon Ti dissapointment

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Luca199

by Luca199

Hi All,

I'm about to build a new wheelset with beast components rims RX60 (handmade rims in Germany). 60mm deep rims.

The idea is to have carbon-ti x-hub straightpull road disc front and rear. Shimano freehub. CX ray on the front and CX sprint on the rear. 24 holes each.

I weigh 85kg and have quite a big power output. Tend to ride a mix of flat and hilly routes, between 350 and 450km a week. I'm based in london so affected by UK weather :) I'll be riding outdoors through winter as I don't use indoor trainers.. road cycling only, no gravel/mtb/dirt/cobbles etc.

The carbon ti option will bring the whole wheelset to roughly 1430g which is very lightweight for that sort of rim depth.

Should I stick with carbon ti, based on what I see here, or go with DT Swiss 180 exp 36 teeth of engagement? Not sure now that I am reading all these reviews.. the wheel builder says that these failures could be just down to wrong tension settings, and that carbon ti is quite susceptible to wrong tensions.

Getting a dt Swiss 180 exp would mean waiting roughly 6 weeks... what's your take?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Given the user experiences posted here, my take is that you'll break a C-Ti rear hub in 12 weeks and perhaps the front hub might last 30 weeks if you're lucky.....

Hexsense

by Hexsense

only if we think disc carbon-ti hub will fail the same way as rim brake hub does.

Luca199

by Luca199

What other hub options should I consider? Possibly lightweight, fast rolling (great performance is key) and durable/resistant to wear... I don't particularly like very noisy hubs... I've heard a dt Swiss 180 in the road and it was quite loud.. do you know about carbon ti disc hubs?

nickf

by nickf

Carbon Ti hubs are very loud, louder than my 54 tooth DT hubs. If it were my money I would go for the 240s. At your weight, I would go 240s. For what DT is asking for the 180s they are not worth it. Marginally lighter only 30g or so, plus the 180s use smaller bearings. Maybe look into the Tune hubs? They are closer in weight to the Carbon Ti hubs. I have no experience with them though.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

My tune hubs are louder than my DT hubs
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

1llum4

by 1llum4

From what I have seen from this thread only the straightpull version of Carbon-Ti seem to have hub flange failure ?

So the J-Bend version should be more durable ?

nickf

by nickf

1llum4 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:06 pm
From what I have seen from this thread only the straightpull version of Carbon-Ti seem to have hub flange failure ?

So the J-Bend version should be more durable ?
Only the Disc SL is available in j-bend. I would imagine they would be a little stronger, a little more meat on the flange. But if it's a material issue then those could also have a similar failure. Not sure if it's the exact same alloy being used across all of their hubs. I have seen j band hubs fail also, specifically tune hubs.

we51

by we51

To add to the conversation, I just received a set of AR46s from LightBicycle with Carbon Ti SP's, and the front hub is installed in the flipped orientation just like Visqu above. I am in conversation with then now - hopefully they can fix that going forward. Not sure how many rim brake wheels they are selling these days, but better late than never.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

we51 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:26 am
To add to the conversation, I just received a set of AR46s from LightBicycle with Carbon Ti SP's, and the front hub is installed in the flipped orientation just like Visqu above. I am in conversation with then now - hopefully they can fix that going forward. Not sure how many rim brake wheels they are selling these days, but better late than never.
LB are doing this too? :shock: :lol: I thought this is only a Farsports issue... or that actually confirms both LB and Farsports are built in the same factory.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

we51

by we51

Or perhaps confirms that they are not the same factory since Farsports was notified previously and LB still built it wrong.

I am going to flip the axle, and LB have offered to refund the wheel building fee. Pretty decent solution.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

nickf wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:37 pm
Carbon Ti hubs are very loud, louder than my 54 tooth DT hubs. If it were my money I would go for the 240s. At your weight, I would go 240s. For what DT is asking for the 180s they are not worth it. Marginally lighter only 30g or so, plus the 180s use smaller bearings. Maybe look into the Tune hubs? They are closer in weight to the Carbon Ti hubs. I have no experience with them though.
I have excellent experience with Erase hubs, similar mechanism to DT Swiss, easy to take apart without tools, lighter than 240's but for no extra cost and a titanium freehub body which won't get notched as easily as an aluminium one.

https://www.erasecomponents.com/hubs

cberg

by cberg

A small update on my hub: I messaged Farsports and they seem to be contacting Carbon-Ti, so something is happening it seems. They did ask for full pictures of my wheels to see if they had any clear impact damage (which they didnt :) ), seems pretty fair so far

ohio

by ohio

Well damn, I wish I'd found this thread two weeks ago before I ordered up EIE SR30TC26 (rim brake) laced to C-Tis... Guess I'll take a close look at front hub orientation when they arrive and then just ride with wheel paranoia for the rest of time. Ffffff, I hate the thought of not being able to trust my equipment completely.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Yeah I feel ya - hate worrying about my equipment - particularely wheels 'cause that can be scary. But keep in mind that there are pretty big numbers of Carbon Ti hubs out there and if these failures were widespread there'd be more buzz about it. Just hoping it's a small number of hubs made from a bad batch of aluminum. I have 3 sets so all my fingers are crossed.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com