Carbon Ti dissapointment

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robertbb

by robertbb

And all for, how much of a weight savings over, say, a DT240 or DT350?

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Roll out the DT fanboys

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

Carbon ti is a good 90g savings over a dt240 setup. No denying dt240 durability, that durability is 90+g of extra material.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

What about the 180 DT
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

nickf

by nickf

Carbon ti is still lighter by 40g. Comparing rim brake offerings. DT also cost quite a bit more then the carbon ti hubs.

robertbb

by robertbb

Steve Curtis wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:36 am
Roll out the DT fanboys
Correct. They DT fanbois are rolling... that's kinda the point of a hub :D

tiz92

by tiz92

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:58 am
tiz92 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:12 am
I see the most issues with Carbon Ti hubs recently. Glad I didnt go for them.
So what exactly did you see? Same failure as nickf? Or something else? Don't leave us hanging.
yes same failures

survivor

by survivor

I'm glad I caught this topic about CarbonTi hub. I'm between CarbonTi hub vs DT Swiss 180EXP hub for my new wheel. I really like the CarbonTi hub though but I guess It is safer to go DT Swiss route at this point.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I have 13k km on 4 different Carbon Ti hub based wheelsets (3 disc, 1 rim), luckily, no issues so far.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

survivor wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:40 pm
I'm glad I caught this topic about CarbonTi hub. I'm between CarbonTi hub vs DT Swiss 180EXP hub for my new wheel. I really like the CarbonTi hub though but I guess It is safer to go DT Swiss route at this point.
Really depends. I have 2 carbon-ti hubs with thousands of km's on both and no issues at all.

survivor

by survivor

SCJKJ wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:05 pm
Really depends. I have 2 carbon-ti hubs with thousands of km's on both and no issues at all.
I guess in general Carbon-Ti hub is great. There is no denying that there are a lot of satisfied customers without any issue or failures. Having said that, it is also a fact that many recent customers have reported failure issues on the hub. It could very well be down to certain manufacturing batches that probably have sub par quality. Without knowing which exact batch have the issue and the root cause of the failure, my personal preference would be to avoid them for now. I do not want to play a game of russian roulette to test my luck :mrgreen:

Orbital

by Orbital

survivor wrote:
SCJKJ wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:05 pm
I guess in general Carbon-Ti hub is great. There is no denying that there are a lot of satisfied customers without any issue or failures. Having said that, it is also a fact that many recent customers have reported failure issues on the hub. It could very well be down to certain manufacturing batches that probably have sub par quality. Without knowing which exact batch have the issue and the root cause of the failure, my personal preference would be to avoid them for now. I do not want to play a game of russian roulette to test my luck :mrgreen:
Could also depend on what rims they are being matched with. The failures I’ve read about here were on Farsport rims. I have them on Lightbicycle rims with no issues.

survivor

by survivor

Orbital wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:35 pm
Could also depend on what rims they are being matched with. The failures I’ve read about here were on Farsport rims. I have them on Lightbicycle rims with no issues.
Fair point. I guess it would still be all right if it is not pair with Farsport rims. Most probably pairing it with the Princeton CarbonWorks Peak 4550.

cberg

by cberg

Saw this thread and didnt think anything of it, about 15000 km with no problems. Then out of nowhere while standing in my living room my bike made a loud noise like when a tire sets into the rim and this was the result:
billede_2021-10-15_231610.png
Back to DT Swiss for my next wheels I guess :|
These were also with Farsports rims

nickf

by nickf

Exactly how both mine went. I'm with you on DT. Hell my novatec hubs have proven to be bulletproof. Drive side both times for me, both went while I wasn't even riding. Wonder what's up with farsports rims?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com