Carbon Ti dissapointment

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

So is this only a rim brake hub issue?
I just got a set of Farsport gravel wheels built up with Carbon-ti straight pull DISC hubs. I have never had any issues with Farsport wheels or CTi hubs in the past.

Indyx

by Indyx

yourrealdad wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:47 pm
So is this only a rim brake hub issue?
I just got a set of Farsport gravel wheels built up with Carbon-ti straight pull DISC hubs. I have never had any issues with Farsport wheels or CTi hubs in the past.
It's happened on the disc ones. I had a rear hub just fail on the DS spoke flange.
Last edited by Indyx on Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Well this is a bummer to hear.

I went out this morning and measured my spoke tension on these wheels. I am using a Park Tool TM-1. The front wheel was pretty even on tension, and the rear was good drive side. NDS rear numbers were all over the place.

I just got back from the LBS and they had a brand new DT Swiss tension meter. We tested it compared to mine and they were pretty dang close. All my build have gone well, so it was reassuring that my meter is probably in the ballpark.

So the thing is these wheels are waaaay overtensioned at least on the DS of the rear and disc side of the front wheel. I am getting readings of 15-17 which is 131-163kgf. Farsports says rims should be 110kgf max and Carbon ti says 130kgf for the hub.

The wheels will detesion once a tire is mounted, but most likely not enough to get is safely back below max. I typically build to max or slightly over since I know the wheel will detension, but with carbon hoops it is less and not near enough for this to be correct.

I have a lot of fixing to do now and will be contacting Farsports.

cberg

by cberg

cberg wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:42 pm
A small update on my hub: I messaged Farsports and they seem to be contacting Carbon-Ti, so something is happening it seems. They did ask for full pictures of my wheels to see if they had any clear impact damage (which they didnt :) ), seems pretty fair so far
Update:
It took some time because they were waiting on parts, but I'm getting a new hub from Carbon-Ti this week :)

cberg

by cberg

cberg wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:01 am
cberg wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:42 pm
A small update on my hub: I messaged Farsports and they seem to be contacting Carbon-Ti, so something is happening it seems. They did ask for full pictures of my wheels to see if they had any clear impact damage (which they didnt :) ), seems pretty fair so far
Update:
It took some time because they were waiting on parts, but I'm getting a new hub from Carbon-Ti this week :)
Got the replacement hub, now I just need to have the wheel rebuilt. Probably going to be pain since the rims dont have holes in the rim bed

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

I got the wheels back down to proper tension, but my question is now that the hubs have been built up to above max tension has that put enough stress on them to weaken the hub or did they need to be ridden and have additional forces applie to weaken them?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

yourrealdad wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:06 pm
I got the wheels back down to proper tension, but my question is now that the hubs have been built up to above max tension has that put enough stress on them to weaken the hub or did they need to be ridden and have additional forces applie to weaken them?
Metal has a fatigue life. But if the part in question was under excessive load for minimal duration whether ridden or not, I wouldn't think that the part is forever comprimised to any significant extent. It's a minimalist lightweight product with perhaps a design weakness. We cannot deny that there is a greater risk of failure than a more robust, heavier hub. Still, I think the product is fantastic, light, free spinning, and short of the potential flange issue, which the majority of examples just don't seem to have, relatively durable. There are lots out there and failures don't seem epidemic, so I wouldn't be concerned.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Yeah, these are going on a gravel rig, but I had them built up because I had previously built up a set for my XC mtb bike. I rode that bike hard as it was my race bike and then sold it to a friend and it has been going strong ever since. That was about 5 years ago so I hope a design flaw didn't show up recently as I feel like the hubs are largely unchanged since then.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Well, perhaps it is only a design flaw if there is also a manufacturing error as in a bad batch of alloy that for whatever reason is not as durable as it should be. It's a bit mysterious. Shouldn't a spoke or rim fail before the hub? That's what I would expect. Regardless, I am very happy with all three wheelsets I have with Carbon Ti.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

tritiltheend

by tritiltheend

I just had a non-DS rear hub failure on my Farsports Feder wheels, as with others the flange failed where the spokes attach. Just contacted Farsports to find out next steps. A couple of months left before warranty runs out. Wheels have not been crashed or abused and I weigh 168 pounds.

\

nickf

by nickf

tritiltheend wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:31 pm
I just had a non-DS rear hub failure on my Farsports Feder wheels, as with others the flange failed where the spokes attach. Just contacted Farsports to find out next steps. A couple of months left before warranty runs out. Wheels have not been crashed or abused and I weigh 168 pounds.

\
Just contact carbon ti directly, they will request the serial number on the hub.

Erwin

by Erwin

@tritiltheend: Any updates regarding your warranty? My Feder wheels with Carbon-Ti hubs are still going strong. About two years old and circa 5000km ridden, so not that much (too many bikes).

Indyx

by Indyx

Hi all, anyone know if this site is legit for Carbon ti?

https://www.shopcarbonti.com/

I ordered something, a week ago. No email, etc.

Price was too good to be true, so probaby a scam site.

shotgun1

by shotgun1

Indyx wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:09 am

Did a quick check, aside from the pricing, they were selling a 130bcd 34t chainring, which I believe only goes down to 39t
2021 Giant TCR Advanced SL0 Disc 6.8kg
2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Disc 7.9kg
2017 Festka Scalatore 5.375kg

Original account [shotgun]: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10594

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seventyseven

by seventyseven

Indyx wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:09 am

Sorry but that's a scam. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=171700

Address matches a Tune scam and a SRAM scam, and in reality it's a Walmart.