Hutchinson TLR failure / which training tubeless tyres

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Milese

by Milese

Hi,

I've now had 4 hutchinsons fusion 5 storm 11 all season tyres fail on me. First ones replaced under warranty now done it again from 3 different batches.

Mostly rear after a few thousand km, but now a front and a rear after only a couple of hundred km.

Used a lot on rollers in last 10 months but cant see why that would be an issue?

3 create bubbles between layers in the tyre on the tread, one has done it on the side wall which caused a leak that sealant couldn't repair at the rim.

Is this a common issue?

Is it just the all season tyres or shall I expect it on the galactiks ive not yet used?

What is a good alternative in 28mm for all year use?

Shame because in terms of ease of fitting, feel and grip they are great.
Attachments
20210121_203538.jpg
20210121_121441.jpg
20210121_203522.jpg
20201209_185943.jpg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

This has been an issue on other tires with some sealants, particularly Stan’s. What sealant were you using again, Hutchinson’s own?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JayDee81

by JayDee81

I've used three Fusion 5 performance 28c tires in the past and one of them did a similar bulge after 4000 or so kms, but that was a tube version with tubes. Other than that I was very pleased with the tires. Supple, fast, good grip.

Milese

by Milese

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:35 am
This has been an issue on other tires with some sealants, particularly Stan’s. What sealant were you using again, Hutchinson’s own?
I'm using Stans. Thanks for the info - could have saved me 4 tyres had I heard that sooner! Never knew it could be an issue - is there something aggressive in Stans?

I'll buy some new sealent - is hutchinson stuff the right buy for all my road, (schwalbe) CX and MTB applications?

Milese

by Milese

JayDee81 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:42 am
one of them did a similar bulge after 4000 or so kms, but that was a tube version with tubes.
That kills off the 'blame the sealant' arguement.....

warthog101

by warthog101

Milese wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:35 am
I'm using Stans. Thanks for the info - could have saved me 4 tyres had I heard that sooner! Never knew it could be an issue - is there something aggressive in Stans?

I'll buy some new sealent - is hutchinson stuff the right buy for all my road, (schwalbe) CX and MTB applications?
I have the same tyre in a 25 on my wheels.
Using Hutchinson sealant.
The first rear bubbled in multiple places on the tread as I posted on another forum I am on;
A tick tick tick, started on todays ride.
Continued when I stopped pedaling.
Got home and felt the spokes. All good and wheels still straight anyway.
Looked closely at the rear tyre. It has multiple bubbles in the tread.
Some about 20c coin sized. It appears to have started delaminating. Not real happy about that given it is only 1800km old.

The front is still fine and have another fusion 5 performance on the rear.
I wait to see how long this one lasts.

DanielNorway

by DanielNorway

I have been using Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance with Stans sealant for several thousand km's, no issues at all.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Milese wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:32 am
JayDee81 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:42 am
one of them did a similar bulge after 4000 or so kms, but that was a tube version with tubes.
That kills off the 'blame the sealant' arguement.....
I said my bulge was similar, which it was, but I forgot to say that the reason for it was that something broke in the carcass. Probably some cord on the side of the tire which is keeping it together, hence the deformity, which was also to the side and not centered on the tread, but made me ride back home varily. Luckily, it was just 3 km from home or so, but unfortunately at the beginning of the ride.

jlok

by jlok

Try Rubino Pro TLR.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

botacalor

by botacalor

I have Hutchinson tires. What sealant you recommend?

Original Hutchinson, muc-off, stains?

warthog101

by warthog101

They were rubbish with Hutchinson sealant. Delamination of the tread.
Gone to GP5000TL.

kode54

by kode54

Could it be the rim design? And or using on the turbo trainer where it could heat up quite a bit? I used to use a diffferent tire way back when I had a tire on trainer.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

disq

by disq

I had 2 or 3 pairs of the Fusion 5's (25 and 28 sizes) for the past two years (switched from tubed Pro4s). I didn't have any catastrophic failures other than short life (lots of mini punctures after 2000 kms or so)... Stan's race sealant seems to do the job for the most part, until you get a big one and the worm/dart/baconstrip works at first but then ejects itself. Switched to GP5000TL, had a sidewall tear after 800km on the rear tyre... Now considering other options, maybe Pirellis.

Aeo

by Aeo

Vittoria Corsa Control TLR
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

warthog101

by warthog101

kode54 wrote:Could it be the rim design? And or using on the turbo trainer where it could heat up quite a bit? I used to use a diffferent tire way back when I had a tire on trainer.
4 of them bubbled up.
Using Hutchinson sealant.
No trainer work.
Have a kickr core with another bike on it.
The GP5000 went on easy and grip and roll better. All good so far.
So it should be though, they aint cheap. Nearly a bloody car tyre price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com