Hutchinson TLR failure / which training tubeless tyres

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dronfield

by Dronfield

I was happy with my 28c tyres for winter riding (All Seasons)....

....until the sidewall split on a ride 30 miles from home. No plug was repairing that.

Had to put a tube in, what a mess - that's after I'd spent 10 mins in the cold trying to remove the tubeless valve nut with frozen hands.

Here's a pic with the tube in. It went in the bin shortly afterwards!
Attachments
IMG_4245.jpg

MikeD

by MikeD

Dronfield wrote:I was happy with my 28c tyres for winter riding (All Seasons)....

....until the sidewall split on a ride 30 miles from home. No plug was repairing that.

Had to put a tube in, what a mess - that's after I'd spent 10 mins in the cold trying to remove the tubeless valve nut with frozen hands.

Here's a pic with the tube in. It went in the bin shortly afterwards!
Do you think it was a defective tire or did you run over something that slit the sidewall?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dronfield

by Dronfield

I guess it could be either, but I don't recall running over anything. It just went pop as I was riding down a road with pretty smooth tarmac. The slit in the tyre was very straight.

lord_brush

by lord_brush

Old thread, I know but I've had several instances of the same. Fusion TLRs, three tyres have now done this to me.

Used Orange Seal, so it's definitely not a Stans specific problem. Various sized bubbles under the tread layer. They can actually be popped with a pin, and bleed what I assume is either water or sealant. Exactly like popping a skin blister.

Popping gets rid of the bubble, so I'm wondering whether it's so etching more to do with moisture somehow getting in between the tread and protection layers. These are on my winter bike, so they do see fair amount of water.

I initially thought I had a bad batch, but repurchases disproved that. I was told my Merlin to contact Hutchinson directly as they were out of warranty, which I did.....only to get a reply from Hutchinson about 12 months later, by which time I'd bought replacements anyway. They offered no help.

Shame, as I rate the tyres otherwise- good grip and decent wear IMO.
Attachments
1000013297.jpg
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. (Chris Addison)