FFWD RYOT 55, anyone have them?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Going aero for my next bike, looking at wheels. I'm a fan of Light Bicycle, and the AR56 is still on my list, but I'd prefer to run 28mm tires if I can, and would need to run a 25mm up front on those to stay aero (23mm internal, 30mm external). Enter the new FFWD RYOT 55, 21mm internal, 31mm external, which should provide a good aero fit for a 28mm tire. Just wondering if anyone has a set and your impressions.

I run a set of FFWD F3As for the road wheels on my gravel bike, and they have been fantastic, DT350 hubs are great, wheels are stiff, they were true out of the box and haven't had a single issue with them. So I'm def not opposed to another set of FFWD wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

Ryot 44 are reviewed quite well so I guess you can't go wrong with 55 model. Specs are very modern.

Niekgeerts

by Niekgeerts

I own a set of RYOT55 wheels. I use them in my Sworks Venge. Lovely wheels!
Wide rims, really stiff and superb 240exp hubs.

Next to that they feel really fast!
- Specialized S-Works Venge - Dura Ace Di2 - FFWD RYOT55 240EXP
- Cannondale Scalpel HM - SRAM XXSL Transmission - FFWD OUTLAW 240EXP
- Specialized Crux Pro - SRAM FORCE AXS - FFWD DRIFT 240EXP

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Niekgeerts wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:29 am
I own a set of RYOT55 wheels. I use them in my Sworks Venge. Lovely wheels!
Wide rims, really stiff and superb 240exp hubs.

Next to that they feel really fast!
That's good to hear, thanks! What brand/size tires are you running, and do you know what they measure on these wheels?

Were they on par with the advertised 1620g weight? How's the handling in wind and on descents?

Niekgeerts

by Niekgeerts

error
Last edited by Niekgeerts on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niekgeerts

by Niekgeerts

My set was 1635grams if i remember correctly.

I initialy mounted turbo cottons 26c, they measured 28,1mm. (after some days.)
Now use Schwalbe One 25c for a bit more puncture protection in the winter. They measure 28,2mm.

Love the handling, especially when keeping in mind it is a 55mm deep section wheel.
I own a pair of 44's as well, they ofcourse are a bit more responsive and perhabs a bit better for climbing/descending.

But for the looks and in combination with the Venge(full aerobike) I prefer the 55's.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Niekgeerts wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:16 am
My set was 1635grams if i remember correctly.

I initialy mounted turbo cottons 26c, they measured 28,1mm. (after some days.)
Now use Schwalbe One 25c for a bit more puncture protection in the winter. They measure 28,2mm.

Love the handling, especially when keeping in mind it is a 55mm deep section wheel.
I own a pair of 44's as well, they ofcourse are a bit more responsive and perhabs a bit better for climbing/descending.

But for the looks and in combination with the Venge(full aerobike) I prefer the 55's.
Awesome, thanks. Def looking for full aero, 55-65mm deep. I run GP5000s, which run a lil wider than Schwalbe, so prob still need to run a 25mm up front, but should be a perfect aero fit. Venge looks great, def don't want shallow wheels on that frame. :thumbup:

ABogle

by ABogle

rides4beer wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:23 pm
Going aero for my next bike, looking at wheels. I'm a fan of Light Bicycle, and the AR56 is still on my list, but I'd prefer to run 28mm tires if I can, and would need to run a 25mm up front on those to stay aero (23mm internal, 30mm external). Enter the new FFWD RYOT 55, 21mm internal, 31mm external, which should provide a good aero fit for a 28mm tire. Just wondering if anyone has a set and your impressions.

I run a set of FFWD F3As for the road wheels on my gravel bike, and they have been fantastic, DT350 hubs are great, wheels are stiff, they were true out of the box and haven't had a single issue with them. So I'm def not opposed to another set of FFWD wheels.
Hi, I'm looking into these wheels for my new build, did you end up buying them? If so how are they?

rides4beer

by rides4beer

ABogle wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:32 pm
rides4beer wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:23 pm

Hi, I'm looking into these wheels for my new build, did you end up buying them? If so how are they?
I didn't, ended up going with the LB AR56s with DT240EXP hubs. The FFWDs still look like a great wheel, was just hard to argue the cost compared to LB. Running 28s on the AR56s and they fit pretty flush. Ended up not going full aero on the bike either, opted for a SuperSix Evo, with some aero touches, integrated cables, deep wheels and 38cm aero cockpit, she's def fast.

saracen888

by saracen888

Does anyone have long term reviews of these? There doesn't appear to be much out there. The DT240 version is currently reduced and looks a solid option.

The £1000-£1500 wheelset category is so competitive so it's a tough decision to make

cjm

by cjm

What made you go for the AR56 rather than the AR55 which are pretty much the same dimensions as the RYOT 55 and would be under 1500g with 240exp /cx-ray?

rides4beer

by rides4beer

saracen888 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:37 am
Does anyone have long term reviews of these? There doesn't appear to be much out there. The DT240 version is currently reduced and looks a solid option.

The £1000-£1500 wheelset category is so competitive so it's a tough decision to make
I also ended up getting a set of Ryot77s with their Black Friday sale (yes, I'm a bit of a wheel whore lol). They are fantastic wheels!! They handle about the same, if not better, in the wind, as my LB AR56s. The profile with a 25mm GP5K is perfect, but with the width they would also still work well with a 28mm tire. I opted for the FFWD TwoOne hubs, which is basically a DT350 hub (the patent expired, so they're able to use the design). I have about 1,000 miles on them so far, and they're great. They're deeper than most people want to go, but with the way they handle, I would def recommend the 55s for anyone looking for a great all around wheelset.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

cjm wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:33 pm
What made you go for the AR56 rather than the AR55 which are pretty much the same dimensions as the RYOT 55 and would be under 1500g with 240exp /cx-ray?
I wanted at least 30mm wide, and they have them listed as 28mm wide, so I wasn't looking at them. Didn't know that they're more like 30mm wide since they bulge out in the middle. But I didn't realize that until it was too late. :x

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

engsohere

by engsohere

I got the 55mm tubulars, love these wheels. The finish is semitransparent which strikes a nice balance between something like WTO 60 bright& shiny vs all matte black. These come with newer EXP hubs make sure the middle digit of three-digit batch code is a 1.
ImageImage

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk