Water build-up inside carbon rims with no drains

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

musiclover

by musiclover

jesper2913 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:08 pm
musiclover wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:22 pm

Didn't understand that. If a wheel is in a bicycle, valve hole at the top (facing downwards) would mean water will be at the bottom where there is no hole?
I have let the water out creating a bit of a momentum and freeing the valve hole.
Maybe it's the language barrier. English isn't my first language. Sorry if it's unclear.

I hang the wheel to dry with the valve hole positioned for the water to run out of the rim at the bottom.
Oh I see, so you take the tyre and tubeless valve off after every rain? Seems a bit hard.
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

jesper2913

by jesper2913

musiclover wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:51 am
Oh I see, so you take the tyre and tubeless valve off after every rain? Seems a bit hard.
Not exactly. I don't ride tubeless. I ride clincher wich makes it easy to remove tube and tire.

In your case, where there are no drains, I wouldn't ride them tubeless. IMO they are not 100 % tubeless ready, if there aren't any drains.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

musiclover

by musiclover

jesper2913 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:26 pm
musiclover wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:51 am
Not exactly. I don't ride tubeless. I ride clincher wich makes it easy to remove tube and tire.

In your case, where there are no drains, I wouldn't ride them tubeless. IMO they are not 100 % tubeless ready, if there aren't any drains.
No thanks, once I tried tubeless I will never go back to inner tube.

jesper2913

by jesper2913

musiclover wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:40 am
Sure. But then you will have the problem of water builing up inside the rim. You can't have it both ways.

musiclover

by musiclover

jesper2913 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:12 pm
musiclover wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:40 am
Sure. But then you will have the problem of water builing up inside the rim. You can't have it both ways.
The problem is not specific to tubeless, it is just a bit harder to fix with tubeless.

jesper2913

by jesper2913

musiclover wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:05 pm
The problem is not specific to tubeless, it is just a bit harder to fix with tubeless.
I am fully aware. That is how I know, how to fix it as mentioned above. But you wanted cheap chinese carbon wheels (nothing wrong with that btw), that weren't fully prepared for tubeless, and now you have a problem.

musiclover

by musiclover

jesper2913 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:56 pm
musiclover wrote:
I am fully aware. That is how I know, how to fix it as mentioned above. But you wanted cheap chinese carbon wheels (nothing wrong with that btw), that weren't fully prepared for tubeless, and now you have a problem.
Correction: expensive Chinese wheels :-)
I do not think Enve 4.5 AR or Zipps necesarily have drain holes... I.e., there is no direct correlation between the wheel brand level and drain holes presence.
Moreover: it does not cost anything extra to have your drain holes drilled at any chinese manufacturer, just need to remeber to ask... do not think you can do same with big brands.

jesper2913

by jesper2913

musiclover wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:12 am
Moreover: it does not cost anything extra to have your drain holes drilled at any chinese manufacturer, just need to remeber to ask... do not think you can do same with big brands.
I really hope those chinese ingeneers do the math to make sure, that the structure holds despite holes being drilled into it by the vendors.

musiclover

by musiclover

jesper2913 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:46 am
musiclover wrote:
I really hope those chinese ingeneers do the math to make sure, that the structure holds despite holes being drilled into it by the vendors.
One does not need to be an engineer in order to drill a drain hole. One just need to drill it at the right spot with the right drill. And a good thing about doing it like that at the factory is that they then assume all responsibility.

Singular

by Singular

musiclover wrote:
jesper2913 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:56 pm
musiclover wrote:
Correction: expensive Chinese wheels :-)
I do not think Enve 4.5 AR or Zipps necesarily have drain holes... I.e., there is no direct correlation between the wheel brand level and drain holes presence.
Apparantly Enve has a bit of problems with their rims being too tight - air seeping from the (tubeless) tyre into the cavity of the rim blowing it up. Something as simple as a drain hole would have solved it...

musiclover

by musiclover

Singular wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:34 am
Apparantly Enve has a bit of problems with their rims being too tight - air seeping from the (tubeless) tyre into the cavity of the rim blowing it up. Something as simple as a drain hole would have solved it...
Don't they have those new fancy pressure releasing tubeless valves to assist with this problem?
PS I actually think that drain holes are a good idea. It is just silly that it is not a default option and you need to ask for it. Easy to forget ecspecially if it is your first set.

jesper2913

by jesper2913

musiclover wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:59 am
One does not need to be an engineer in order to drill a drain hole. One just need to drill it at the right spot with the right drill. And a good thing about doing it like that at the factory is that they then assume all responsibility.
True. I'm not an engineer, and even I know how to operate a drill.

That is not the point though. The point is, you need an engineer to do the math to ensure, that the product has the structural capabilities to withstand normal use after such a drilling. I really doubt, they run it by an engineer before drilling it.

And who cares who assumes responsibility if your front wheel colapses riding through a pothole and you fall face first towards the tarmac with 60 km/h downhill.

And the best of luck making a chinese vendor responsible for your injuries.

DanielNorway

by DanielNorway

jesper2913 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:18 am
The point is, you need an engineer to do the math to ensure, that the product has the structural capabilities to withstand normal use after such a drilling. I really doubt, they run it by an engineer before drilling it.
You dont think a chinese manufacturers is capable of making a drain hole? How do you think they make holes for spokes/valves?

FWIW, I asked LightBicycle about drilling my rims, and their answer was simple, dont do it. They do make drain holes on request, but then they reinforce the rim first.

musiclover

by musiclover

jesper2913 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:18 am
musiclover wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:59 am
True. I'm not an engineer, and even I know how to operate a drill.

That is not the point though. The point is, you need an engineer to do the math to ensure, that the product has the structural capabilities to withstand normal use after such a drilling. I really doubt, they run it by an engineer before drilling it.

And who cares who assumes responsibility if your front wheel colapses riding through a pothole and you fall face first towards the tarmac with 60 km/h downhill.

And the best of luck making a chinese vendor responsible for your injuries.
Wow, a wheel exploding at 60 km/h on downhill. That is such a vivid picture from someone who doesn't mind cheap Chinese carbon.That is a very probable scenario.

I will not drill it myself due to the other reasons though, which I listed above.

jesper2913

by jesper2913

-

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com