Zipp 303s/ HUNT 4454 UD Carbon/ Scribe Aero Wide+ 5060

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boscolamhk

by boscolamhk

Hi All,

I am currently running a Giant Defy Advanced 2 road bike (with Giant P-R2 Disc wheelset which measures at around 2.1kg) and I am planning a wheelset upgrade. I have some considerations/constraints in mind:
- I have a budget of around USD 1,500
- I plan to run 28c tubeless tires for comfort (I am currently running 32c tubeless which is pretty comfortable, though seems to be a bit draggy)
- I am looking for mid-deep section wheels, ideally 40-50mm font and 40-60mm rear
- I run
o 90% pavement (which covers roughly 50% flats/downhill, 25% uphill and 25% steep uphill (>6% gradient)
o 10% gravel (I can walk to avoid flats)
- I am currently riding around 30-35kmh on flats, depending on wind direction
- I hope the wheelset upgrade allows me to maintain higher speed on the flats and climb easier

After some research, I believe the Zipp 303s , HUNT 4454 UD Carbon and Scribe Aero Wide+ 5060 suits my needs pretty well, but I am not sure which one to go for. Below are some of the pros and cons I can think of.

Pros of Zipp
- Big brand (Who doesn’t like Zipp logo on their wheels?)
- Lifetime warranty
- Can be purchased from LBS, so anything happen I can go to LBS for help
- Around USD150 cheaper than the HUNT wheels (though both are affordable to me)

Cons of Zipp
- Zipp 303s being the first manufactured outside US, whether its quality is the same as the other Zipp wheels are debatable
- Slow freehub
- Users reviewing that climbing feels not as stiff as its competitors
- Continental GP5000 Tubeless seems not compatible? I treat it as a benchmark tubeless tyre

Pros of HUNT
- The rim depth is perfect for me. Deeper rear wheel looks cool
- Lifetime crash replacement for the first owners of these wheels
- Seems lots of excellent comments from the reviews
- 7.5˚ engagement which seems to be very responsive

Cons of HUNT
- The user opinion seems polarized, either saying the wheels are fantastic or the wheels are simply rubbish
- Not as reputable as Zipp I assume
- Loud freehub noise? Though I like loud freehub noise to alert riders around
- Hubs not too durable if I understand from users online correctly
- No guarantee of the quality/customer service as its directly shipped to consumers
- HUNT wheels are extremely rare in my country (I don’t see anyone riding with HUNT wheels, and there are no HUNT wheels in the second-hand market in my country…)

Pros of Scribe
- The rim depth is perfect for me
- Lifetime crash replacement
- Not as reputable as Zipp I assume
- No guarantee of the quality/customer service as its directly shipped to consumers

Cons of Scribe
- Extremely rare in my country and no second-hand market
- Cannot think of others at the moment...

I understand there are many other options in the market. It will be good if someone have ridden any of these three wheelsets before and provide any feedback.

M4lukz

by M4lukz

Parcours Strade?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Neillp

by Neillp

M4lukz wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:07 pm
Parcours Strade?
Just got a set of these myself, very impressed with them although not done any significant rides yet. The free hub is very quiet too.
Attachments
163F1299-D0BB-4A07-AF6A-E4AEECD70766.jpeg
A3009DCE-DF6D-4510-833F-EF31289215BB.jpeg

milanv

by milanv

boscolamhk wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:06 pm
I understand there are many other options in the market. It will be good if someone have ridden any of these three wheelsets before and provide any feedback.
What was your choice in the end?
I am thinking about the HUNT 4454 UD Carbon at the moment.
Any experience with them from anybody? Thanks.

kervelo

by kervelo

boscolamhk wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:06 pm
Cons of Zipp
- Zipp 303s being the first manufactured outside US, whether its quality is the same as the other Zipp wheels are debatable
- Slow freehub
- Users reviewing that climbing feels not as stiff as its competitors
- Continental GP5000 Tubeless seems not compatible? I treat it as a benchmark tubeless tyre
I would not be worried about these issues. I have seen several comments from different sources saying that the manufacturing quality of the 303 S is at least at the same level as the US made models. The three pawls freehub design has been used by many brands for years; I have never seen any complaints about slow Campagnolo freehubs, although they use the same design. I am quite sure that continental will make the gp5000 hookless compatible as soon as the hookless standard is released.

milanv

by milanv

So I have bought HUNT 4454 UD Carbon, Aug W1 shipping.
This review of 44s was very helpful...
https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-gear ... et-review/

milanv

by milanv

I can confirm - no touching spokes on Hunt UD Carbon wheelset...

abonjour

by abonjour

Look forward to hearing how they ride! I am considering a set too

milanv

by milanv

abonjour wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:04 pm
Look forward to hearing how they ride! I am considering a set too
Going on holidays, so first ride in the end of month.

milanv

by milanv

So, I have several hundreds of kilometres on HUNT 4454 UD Carbon and I am impressed...
- Very stiff on every way,
- but also very comfortable in combination with tubeless tyres Schwalbe Pro One TLE (front 25 + rear 28 mm),
- no creaking, carbon spokes are not touching anywhere,
- the rear hub is very very loud, louder than e. g. DT 350 (with ratchet system 36T) / Roval CLX 50 / Roval CL 50,
- H+ lifetime warranty is a big plus.

ms6073

by ms6073

Would probably get a set if they could be customized as I would rather have DT Swiss 180/240 SP hubs. Wonder how long before companies like Light Bike are offering custom wheel builds with carbon spokes?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

C36

by C36

ms6073 wrote:Would probably get a set if they could be customized as I would rather have DT Swiss 180/240 SP hubs. Wonder how long before companies like Light Bike are offering custom wheel builds with carbon spokes?
They need special hubs so unlikely.
Also unless you have supply issues or are all in for easy access for parts, I would never use DT hubs, poor rear geometry… if I go custom path I don’t want those poor compromises.

Aesch

by Aesch

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:35 pm
Would probably get a set if they could be customized as I would rather have DT Swiss 180/240 SP hubs. Wonder how long before companies like Light Bike are offering custom wheel builds with carbon spokes?
Btlos does

crazychaz

by crazychaz

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:35 pm
Light Bicycle already offers carbon spokes as an off menu option – you have to write in to them to request for it, but they work with any of the hubs in their range. Had mine built up with Carbon Ti disc hubs and working great so far

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com