Schwalbe Pro One TLE - leaking sidewalls

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

One tip i've seen on here, and other forums and heard from a colleague, is to scrub the inside of the tyres before fitting so the sealant can actually start to wet the inside of the tyre, rather than beading up and running off/pooling.

It's cured a few of my more troublesome (and foolish) attempts at tubeless.

ManPants

by ManPants

50mL. I deliberately went overboard because I hate flats that much and I haven't spilled a drop, either. The tyre was seated with an airblast pump before adding the sealant with a Stan's syringe. I can hear it sloshing if I give it a shake.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I had a bubble on the sidewall with one 2020 version.. warrantied by Schwalbe.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ManPants wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:03 pm
50mL. I deliberately went overboard because I hate flats that much and I haven't spilled a drop, either. The tyre was seated with an airblast pump before adding the sealant with a Stan's syringe. I can hear it sloshing if I give it a shake.

Yeah, hrmm, that should be plenty.

Paperboy

by Paperboy

I had THE best experience with mounting a 28c on my Bontrager Aeolus Pro 37 wheels. It went on by hand and inflated with a regular air pump. I have a feeling it's a combination of two things: the wheel was designed with Schwalbe tires in mind, and the special TL Bontrager rim strimp helps creates an airtight seal. I didn't even have to hold/push the tire down, around the valve, to seat the tire! No leaks and it's retaining air. I have the "TLE" badged tire. Schwalbe isn't kidding when they badge and promote TLE!

miika

by miika

I have the same issue with the orange logo Addix compound 28mm TLEs. They leak through the sidewalls. I have about 40ml Schwalbe Doc Blue in each of them. One leaks worse than the other.

I tested with soap water and it is obvious they only leak through the sidewalls across the whole length of the tyre not from the rim seal. I've danced with them now for the past 48 hours letting them rest on each side for hours at at time. One of them has improved slightly but the other still goes from 75psi to 30psi over night.

sfo423

by sfo423

Bumping this too see if these https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/schw ... 09155.html TLE's are the suspect sidewall version (or not).

I'd assume Schwalbe would have corrected the leaking sidewalls in the latest version.

I am going to try these (tubeless) on some Fulcrum Speed 40DB's.

vinc

by vinc

No leaking problems or whatsoever with my Pro Ones. Perhaps it could be an bad combination with the rim?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I had weeping with my first set of Pro Ones and Bontrager sealant. None with my second set and Orange Seal.

sfo423

by sfo423

How do you tell if the tire in the Merlin link is the current verison or NOS?

kervelo

by kervelo

I don't know if the Merlin tyre is current or NOS, but according to the page it is Schwalbe One, not Schwalbe Pro One.

sfo423

by sfo423

I just ordered them, trans sidewalls. We'll see about holding air.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

I had leaking sidewalls as well
Pro one, TLE's, 40ml orange seal

I laid the bike on its side (both sides) one afternoon and slowly adjusted the position of each wheel so the sealant would pool on the sidewalls all the way around eventually
Fixed the front right away, rear still leaked slowly

I pulled the rear wheel off the other day and tested the wheel in water to see exactly where is was leaking and marked those areas (about three areas per side)
Laid the wheel on the side again and slowly adjusted to cover each of the areas I had marked and now its perfect like the front

What amazed me the most was the difference in ride quality between lightweight butyl tubes and tubeless
Even with tubes the ride was fantastic, now its buttery smooth

Stradabianche

by Stradabianche

Run into this thread when searching for info regarding issues with leaking schwalbe sidewalls. Having the same problem on my 40mm G Ones. Loose all pressure within a couple of hours.
Submerged the wheel in the bathtub and found that there are loads of bubbles evaporating through the side walls!
What a joke!
Attachments
80F78E37-0A40-46E5-8775-B087440D54C3.jpeg

ms6073

by ms6073

That is curious as I have not had any such issues with G Ones in the same width mounted on 25 mm internal rims but ours have black sidewalls.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com