Tubilito yes or no?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ccie6872 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:31 am
Switching from Tubeless (hesitantly) back to Tubes to try the new Rapides CLX. I am thinking of GP5000 28’s and tubolito tubes for my SL7. Any other combo I should consider? Look for the magically balance of punction resistance, performance, and weight (probably in that order). There are a lot of mixed reviews on tubilitos..thoughts?
These
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo ... 03019-0200

Or thick butyl if puncture resistance is key!
Only issue i had was when i pinched a tube mounting / inflating tire. Otherwise i think above tube is a very good option.
Plastic valve on Tubolito is a bit of a downsizer.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

i have the S-turbo version. one tube will hold air for about a week before the tyre is complete flat. while the other one will lose all its air in about half a day.

initially i put up with them, but last night i got so annoyed (tyres were flat enough the bike lost balance and fell off from the stand, causing abit of scare in the house! and not the first time!!) i decided i will put about 5mL sealant in them.....18 hours later....air pressure seems to be holding! i strongly suspect it was the valve core/valve stem interface that isn't completely air tight previously because i added so little sealant, i doubt if other parts of the tube is leaking there is enough sealant to get to it.

yes...i will be struck down by weight weenies god for adding 25% weight back into the tube..... still miles ahead of other competitors tho! lol.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

rides4beer

by rides4beer

GP5000s and Silca latex tubes have been fantastic for me, grip, handling, speed, comfort. Not a single puncture in over 10,000 miles. I carry a Conti supersonic tube as a spare, small and lightweight, and easy to put in if I need it, but haven't needed it.

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

rides4beer wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:24 pm
GP5000s and Silca latex tubes have been fantastic for me, grip, handling, speed, comfort. Not a single puncture in over 10,000 miles. I carry a Conti supersonic tube as a spare, small and lightweight, and easy to put in if I need it, but haven't needed it.
i have the same setup, its the best

ive run tubolitos but I've had 2 valve failures, one cracked where you screw in the core, and then the second failure kept leaking around the core, even when using more plumbers tape. with the RR still being better on latex, ill eat the weight and just ride my silcas :noidea:

jlok

by jlok

Yea to S-Turbo, also yea to fix the valve stem. I used loctite thread lock to fix it and no more leak.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

joesch

by joesch

Meanwhile I have about 10 months of experience running Tubolitos on two wheelssets (Roval CLX 50 Disc, Roval C38 Disc, 12,000km on them since Feb).
- Little to no difference in terms of the "feel" despite the slight weight saving
- Hardly loose any need to re-inflate the tubes, even over longer periods of time
- 2 punctures, both super small holes in the tube which I tried to fix with their set (Flix Set); the handling was good but it seems the glue used for the patches is not super temperature resistant. Both f(l)ixed tubes started to rapidly lose air once outside temperatures were above 25-30 degrees
- The tubes are very delicate, in particular the valves; very careful handling is key

audioblazer

by audioblazer

Fitted S tubo road on my alphinist wheelset. Really light @ 23g. Unfortunately 2 days after my 1st ride , tyre flattened . Checked . Non removable valve core leaked . Wrote a letter to tubolito . Within minutes , received an email from Peter offering to send 2 s tubo with free shipping to Malaysia even though I bought the Tubolito from Bikeinn. That is 1st class customer service . All I was requested is to send the product code & batch code written on the tube for them to do quality control review . Awesome . Will definitely buy more s tubo

Emmodd

by Emmodd

I've run mine front and rear for 2 years over 10,000 miles without problems. No punctures and multiple tyre changes. In my experience they're much easier to fit than butyl and are a lower risk than butyl for catching under a tyre bead. UK roads are bad on the whole too.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

audioblazer

by audioblazer

Weight comparison : Michelin latex , Vittoria latex with extender , S Road tubolito , Butyl
Attachments
16F63C8E-6ED7-4B68-89FD-BA2D8BDD077A.jpeg
6E00772F-DA7D-4D46-A606-B1E3B32DD673.jpeg
6A651BA8-13A0-41EC-861A-92E3CD24F196.jpeg
8061F5DE-6FA3-4E5E-865F-8A1443C3FC69.jpeg

kilokilo

by kilokilo

tubolito(rim version) used for more than half a year. roughly 2500km+
on 28c and 25c gp5k
compare with my old general butyl (kenda 100gram+)

-accelerate faster
-much lighter, sweet weapon on uphill
-roll faster
-watt improvment
-better grip in corner
-pump every 3 or 4days

reading all those unlucky stories with cracked valvecore
i only do pinky finger hand tightening... i guess... 1 or 2nm torque on valve...

this new material for inner tube are fantastic... would love to try schwalbe aerothan too!
Aerothan stopped my idea it claimed it is 100recycled so it will end up self destructed

Mocs123

by Mocs123

The TPU Tubes are really tempting but I've been turned off by the lack of sucess people seem to have in patching them. At $35 each I can't afford for them to be disposable. I'm watching this space closely but for now and sticking with Silca latex tubes in my disc wheels and Specialized Turbo Tubes in my rim wheels. Even if I can't patch them they around a third of the cost of a TPU tube so I might not cry if I have to toss it in the trash.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

req110

by req110

I have good luck with tubolito. I like them.

S-tubo on front. Punctured once, 90 days ago. Patched with old model patch. And it holds ok.

Tubolito road on rear. No problems at all.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

scapie wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:50 am
..downside is that they are alot more difficult to fit. you have to be very careful to make sure the tube is not caught under the bead of the tyre. they don't roll inside a deflated tyre as good as a normal rubber tube and even with talc it didn't make a difference.

they are appealing to use as spares because they are so small but because of the hassle to fit i'm not going to bother with them again.
I don't understand using Tubolitos as spares to fix flats on the road. While I like that they don't take up much room in my saddle bag, I just want to make the flat repair and get back on the road again. I don't want to take the extra time to get it just right and certainly don't want the replacement tube to embarassingly fail due to my rushed technique causing yet another unplanned stop. I'm a long-time latex tube user, but pack a butyl tube for these reasons (and replace the butyl replacment with a new latex tube once I get home and before my next ride!).

I've found this tightly packaged Cannondale-branded butyl tube to be a good compromise on size in my saddle bag.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

audioblazer wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:05 pm
Weight comparison : Michelin latex , Vittoria latex with extender , S Road tubolito , Butyl
Thanks for posting the weights :beerchug: Here's a few more.

For some reason, I believe my Challenge latex tubes consistently weigh in the 70s gram range.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leon

by Leon

req110 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:45 pm
I like them.
+1

I use tubolito on two bikes. One bike with S-tubo on front now 3000km+ with no problems. Tubo road on rear. Punctured once but the puncture was so small I only noticed it when I was at home. The material used is so sturdy that air will not get out quickly if it is a small puncture. I even couldn't discover the puncture at once. Outside of the tire you cannot inflate the tube that much. So I tried to fix it with the old self adhesive patch kit (without glue thus). That worked. Did a couple of rides again before finding the bike with an empty tube at home. Patched it again (same spot, old patch was leaking air). Went for a few rides. Same thing after a few days. Empty tube again. So that is kind of strange. I can ride a patched tube for like 200km. No issues. Leave it at home for a few days...empty.. Beats me.

I did send an e-mail to Tubolito: the new patch kit should work better in higher temps! I also got 2 tubo's for free. Nice customer service! So I ordered the new patch kit and lets see if this works.

On my other bike front and rear Tubo road. Didn't ride it for a while but noticed the front is empty. Still need to look at the cause (puncture or just airloss..). My experience is that the tubolitos hold air very well, better than butyl and way better than latex tubes. So it probably will be a puncture. Now I have nice test case for the new patch kit. :mrgreen:

Anyhow: I like the Tubo's and especially their weight! And also because of the sturdy material that has not left me standing besides the road with a flat. I think puncture resistance is better than butyl (which tests also confirm).
Ride bikes, not tanks!