Tubilito yes or no?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

usr

by usr

How long have your patched ones held up so far? I've had one hold many months in the stand, occasionally topped up to get a feel for the amount of loss, but then on the first ride it didn't last 10km. I suspect is that they might hold up well to both aging ("how many months") and to movement ("how many miles"), but not to both occurring together.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leon

by Leon

With the old patch kit (self adhesive patches) the tube would deflate over time and miles. Could take over a week. With the new patches (with glue) I don't have that experience. Even after a week (of just standing) the decrease of pressure seems normal. And thus hardly noticable by hand.

Of course the recently patched tubes don't have many miles on it. Since it is patched about 50 miles now. So, let me keep an eye on that.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

Leon

by Leon

So, after a few more rides and some time I can say that the patched S-road is holding air like it should be. Even changed the tire so got the tube out and mounted it again. No issues what so ever.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

wilwil

by wilwil

Installed a pair of RideNow from Ali Express. Rode 12 miles and later noticed the front tyre was flat. Pin prick in the side of the tube so slow puncture. I dont know if it was like that when I installed it or not. I dont think it was a puncture from the ride being on the side of the tube. Ive installed another one and Ill see how it goes. When I inflated it to put in a bucket of water there was no deformation at all except at the join which you would expect. I really liked the noise they make on the road.

scico

by scico

wilwil wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:59 pm
Installed a pair of RideNow from Ali Express. Rode 12 miles and later noticed the front tyre was flat. Pin prick in the side of the tube so slow puncture. I dont know if it was like that when I installed it or not. I dont think it was a puncture from the ride being on the side of the tube. Ive installed another one and Ill see how it goes. When I inflated it to put in a bucket of water there was no deformation at all except at the join which you would expect. I really liked the noise they make on the road.
What do you mean with "the noise they make on the road"?

usr

by usr

Leon wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:32 am
With the old patch kit (self adhesive patches) the tube would deflate over time and miles. Could take over a week. With the new patches (with glue) I don't have that experience. Even after a week (of just standing) the decrease of pressure seems normal. And thus hardly noticable by hand.
Had these standing for months just with the occasional top-up, then it went lip after less than 15 km of riding. I suspect that it's the movement, and different stretchyness of the patch (factory-new tube skin) and the tube (thinned by already being permanently stretched before patching, and likely not the same thickness class as she patch to start with) that's causing more stress than the glue connection can hold.

Next time I get a punctured TPU home I'll use another broken from the same model, stretched to the same tire, as the patch donator with the glue from the latest Tubolito patch kit (also available separately, but the best offers are more expensive than the kit)

Leon

by Leon

That should work out also I guess. Mine is still ok and I have another one lying around for a while. That one I patched with the old patches and leakes air. I'm going to see if I can get this old patch off and patch it with the new patches and glue.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

Leon

by Leon

So, I failed patching the tube I mentioned above. It seems it is only losing air when fully inflated in the tire. So with just a bit of pressure out of the tire it doesn't leak air visibly. Which is the definite plus using these tubes. If you have puncture is it often that small that it deflates very slowly. I had several punctures now and never had a flat at once.
Ride bikes, not tanks!