Tubilito yes or no?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

takolino wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:15 am
I got them around August 2021. I also got some in January. They've all been glued. But,I bought some s-tubo on ebay and they were not glued. Probably old stock. I think they've been gluing the valve cores for a while. My guess is ever since they switched to the brown box packaging but I could be wrong. When I first got them a couple of years ago, they came in a black folded card with a rubber band around it. I still have some left and they don't have glue. It seems the ones that come in the brown box are glued.
thanks for this value information, it seems it needs to be glued by myself.

thanks

blind76

by blind76

Is it possible to remove extender? Remove extender and then valve from it and put in the orange part (where extender was?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fporter

by fporter

Resurrecting thread to ask those who have the Roval CLX50 wheels, which length Tubolito stem works in these rims? There are 60mm and 80mm available. Am considering getting a couple from BikeInn as spares.
Thanks!

biwa

by biwa

Stendhal wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:35 am
Takolino, you've been much more fortunate than me, as I also live on the Bay Area peninsula (towards San Jose) and many roads are so bad that I've systematically moved up to 30 and 32mm tires. :(

Just purchased PIRELLI's new TPU tubes for a new bike build. Even at $70 a pair the weight weenie value is outstanding-- 35g each with a decent sized valve stem (60mm). Cautiously optimistic that the claimed superior puncture resistance will make it worth it. As a bike shop is doing the build I know the tubes will be installed right this first time; any replacements will be from me. I'll report on performance.
Sorry for bringing back an old post. So how's your experience been with PIRELLI's TPU SmarTube? Are they robust and fairly puncture resistant? I assume you're using them for disc wheels?

robertbb

by robertbb

I bought two Pirelli TPU's to give them a try.

Inflated outside the rim first to see if the shape was as perfect as they are purported to be (noting latex/butyl tubes often look like a snake just ate a koala)

First one I inflated generated a very weird bubble near the valve.. didn't explode, but I only had about 30PSI in there. Let the air out and now that spot looks like a 80 year old's ankles. Just floppy loose skin while the rest of the tube returned to its original shape/size.

Promptly generated a warranty claim for that one, and the second is off for refund.

As always, your mileage may vary but I'm going straight back to quality latex or butyl.

RimClencher

by RimClencher

robertbb wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:34 am
Inflated outside the rim first ... I only had about 30PSI in there.
oh my :shock:

usr

by usr

robertbb wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:34 am
Inflated outside the rim first to see if the shape was as perfect as they are purported to be (noting latex/butyl tubes often look like a snake just ate a koala)
You don't do that with TPU tubes, period. Why do you refuse to read the manual and then try to game the warranty?

The P in TPU is for "plastic", which is in there to point out that the material is far more plastic (stays in shape after being deformed) than elastic (bounces back to original shape). If you inflate a TPU tube outside of containment to the point where it stretches, it will never get back. The the box says max 8 psi outside for a reason.

:shock: indeed.

(The "koala" will eventually happen to every tube inflated outside of containment, that's just physics finding the weakest point no matter how small the differences are. It's a self-augmenting phenomenon once or has started)
Last edited by usr on Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billendk

by billendk

robertbb wrote:I bought two Pirelli TPU's to give them a try.

First one I inflated generated a very weird bubble near the valve.. didn't explode, but I only had about 30PSI in there. Let the air out and now that spot looks like a 80 year old's ankles. Just floppy loose skin while the rest of the tube returned to its original shape/size.

Promptly generated a warranty claim for that one, and the second is off for refund.

As always, your mileage may vary but I'm going straight back to quality latex or butyl.
Thats the most stupid things I ever heard , I have to ask why???Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

robertbb

by robertbb

Joizus, the melts.

First, I'm not trying to "game the system". This particular seller doesn't stock these tubes in store (they have a large number of bricks-and-mortar shops all around the city and none of them hold stock) so I had to order from them online. They shipped these things to me in a thin pouch and they arrived with their little black Pirelli boxes semi-crushed and in circumstances where these TPU tubes need to be handled carefully I think inflating a little first is reasonable to determine if there was any damage. Not to mention it's kinda necessary to give the tubes some shape for installation.

Second, look at all the marketing literature on these types of tubes and one of the first images you see is a tube partially inflated outside a rim to demonstrate how perfect the shape is. And yet that's going to be destructive to the tube, is it? I'm not a lawyer but that seems misleading to say the least.

And for posterity, the 0 key is right next to the P on my laptop. I meant to write 3PSI. That's a way of saying "I had barely any pressure in there at all". I only put in a few pumps before that spot at the base of the valve bubbled out. Certainly didn't throw 30PSI in there!

Was it a faulty tube? Did it get damaged in some way in transit? Am I an idiot for not reading the instructions? Maybe all of the above. But I'm not going to continue with this type of (expensive) tube after the experience.

Have a great day all.

RimClencher

by RimClencher

The lady doth protest too much, methinks :wink:

robertbb

by robertbb

"RimClencher".....

Fitting.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

biwa wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:00 am
Stendhal wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:35 am
Takolino, you've been much more fortunate than me, as I also live on the Bay Area peninsula (towards San Jose) and many roads are so bad that I've systematically moved up to 30 and 32mm tires. :(

Just purchased PIRELLI's new TPU tubes for a new bike build. Even at $70 a pair the weight weenie value is outstanding-- 35g each with a decent sized valve stem (60mm). Cautiously optimistic that the claimed superior puncture resistance will make it worth it. As a bike shop is doing the build I know the tubes will be installed right this first time; any replacements will be from me. I'll report on performance.
Sorry for bringing back an old post. So how's your experience been with PIRELLI's TPU SmarTube? Are they robust and fairly puncture resistant? I assume you're using them for disc wheels?
No apology needed, this is what the site is for. No punctures yet in about 5 months albeit winter = less biking season. Very pleased. Yes disc brakes, Goodyear 30 mm tires.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

biwa

by biwa

Stendhal wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:56 am
No apology needed, this is what the site is for. No punctures yet in about 5 months albeit winter = less biking season. Very pleased. Yes disc brakes, Goodyear 30 mm tires.
Nice feedback. It seems the Pirelli offering is the better one among all these TPU tubes incl. Aerothan. Thanks for sharing!

Leon

by Leon

Sticking with Tubolito's here. And even going over from the normal road to the S-road. I think that if you puncture the S-road, the normal road would be punctured also (and if you puncture the Tubo you would also experience a puncture on a butyl tube). Unfortunately I punctured twice in last three weeks. And what I find the greatest benefit (besides weight advantage) is that you don't get a sudden loss of air. I've punctered tubo's now like 5 times (ride them on 3 bikes) and in 4 cases I ended up riding home on them (which of course is more luck that I puncture near my home). But when inflating the punctered tube again I always can ride on for a mile or so. Didn't have that with a butyl tube!

And the new patch kit work like a charm. Like said, I have a S-road which is now patched twice and holding air like it should be.

I also have one Aerothan in use. Don't experience anything different. They seem to hold air just like the Tubo's. Only advantage I would see it that they have a black stem.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com