Bitex BX312 Hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RobJ

by RobJ

Curious if anyone has any update on this one? I am at the same point with possibly ordering from Light and deciding between the Bitex or Carbon-Ti hubs. For a road-only set of wheels.
2020 BMC TeamMachine SLR 01

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jencvo

by jencvo

RobJ wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:47 pm
Curious if anyone has any update on this one? I am at the same point with possibly ordering from Light and deciding between the Bitex or Carbon-Ti hubs. For a road-only set of wheels.
Your two options probably are never going to be really comparable but that's to be expected with double (triple?) the price point of Carbon-Ti hubs. I finally ordered AR56 wheels with Bitex hubs through quick buy from LB, will be able to report back in couple weeks on first impressions I hope.

RobJ

by RobJ

jencvo wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:08 pm
RobJ wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:47 pm
Your two options probably are never going to be really comparable but that's to be expected with double (triple?) the price point of Carbon-Ti hubs. I finally ordered AR56 wheels with Bitex hubs through quick buy from LB, will be able to report back in couple weeks on first impressions I hope.
Yea I meant more along the lines of the performance of the Bitex hubs. I'm going the same route - AR56's. Nice they have 3 day turnaround now on the Quick Orders.
2020 BMC TeamMachine SLR 01

nickf

by nickf

I have 2 sets of Novatecs. One rim and one disc. The disc hubset is going strong and I have been racing gravel on them for over 2 years now. Bearings aren't as buttery but still good and do not need to be replaced.

floriansantana

by floriansantana

Sorry for bringing this thread up again. I ordered a LB wheelset with Bitex BX312 hubs today and wanted to ask, if they have a new freehub ratchet system? It said 155T in brackets. How is the sound of the freehub? Loud or silent?
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
Cannondale SystemSix HiMod Disc
@floriansantana

Mocs123

by Mocs123

It was said in this thread that Bitex BX312 Replacement parts were cheap - does anyone have a good source for replacement parts or a parts list for these hubs?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

windscreen

by windscreen

In the USA, I would go to this place;
https://www.bikehubstore.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Thank you!
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

mddobbs

by mddobbs

NickJHP wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:23 am
jencvo wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:07 am
Hey folks. Is anybody using Bitex BX312 hubs or have any experiences with the brand?
The freehubs aren't so reliable. The aluminium alloy that the pawls bear against is soft enough that it can deform in use, leading to rubbing on the ratchet ring that the pawls engage.

Old freehub - note the deformation at the base of the pawls, with the top of the deformation having been worn away against the ratchet ring
IMG_0391.JPG

New freehub before fitting for comparison
IMG_0393.JPG
I can't tell from your photos -- was this an Anti Bite Guard (ABG) version of freehub? Were the steel inserts intact? This is the only instance of this happening that I can find. I recently put one of these freehubs into service (have not yet inspected it), and I am thinking about getting a second. I like the engagement and quietness when greased. I would also be interested in trying the titanium version if readily available. I also have NOT seen any good or bad reviews of the titanium freehub.

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

I got this hub laced to CX Ray. 6k miles and still perfect. Smooth and reliable. Freehub has anti-bite that works well. No complaints and it is light!

warickwrx

by warickwrx

I use bitex hubs on my training wheels, many km's without issues !

s3si1u

by s3si1u

Bitex 312 user for the last 6 months or so. No complaints here, they do the job and are very light for the price. Recently switched the HG freehub to an XDR that I purchased from Bike Hub Store and the process was quick and painless. Will definitely consider these again for my future gravel wheelset.

AC0

by AC0

mddobbs wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:12 pm
I can't tell from your photos -- was this an Anti Bite Guard (ABG) version of freehub? Were the steel inserts intact? This is the only instance of this happening that I can find. I recently put one of these freehubs into service (have not yet inspected it), and I am thinking about getting a second. I like the engagement and quietness when greased. I would also be interested in trying the titanium version if readily available. I also have NOT seen any good or bad reviews of the titanium freehub.
The issue isn't with the splines and a steel AGB won't help. It's a problem with the 'pocket' where the pawls sit. On my N3W freehub, I see something similar on one (of 12) pawls but not enough to interfere with the rachet ring.

AC

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I have both the Novatec and the Bitex hubs. The Novatec D411 & D412 are daily riders and have been ridden for over three years and the bearings are still as smooth as can be. The Bitex are built on the same Farsports rims just 38mm verses my daily 55mm. I ride the deeper rims all the time. They handle well when the wind is really blowing.I do have back up ceramic bearing for both sets of wheels so if they go I'll just replace. I also have a back up set of ceramic bearings for some 38mm rim brake wheels that are on m back up bike with almost 40,000 miles on them and those feel great too. I do irde in the rain if caught in the rain and seldom head out if it's already raining. It's roller time or a day off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mddobbs

by mddobbs

AC0 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 2:05 pm
mddobbs wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:12 pm
The issue isn't with the splines and a steel AGB won't help. It's a problem with the 'pocket' where the pawls sit. On my N3W freehub, I see something similar on one (of 12) pawls but not enough to interfere with the rachet ring.

AC
Thanks AC, I was expecting a notification on your response - just saw it today. I understand what you are saying. One other commenter said he/she has destroyed Bitex hubs (not specifically the freehubs) during sprinting, but did not say how. I was wondering whether because the ABG tech is newer, that the quality or version of the aluminum used in the freehub body might be newer or better now. It looks like the the pockets for the pawls and the main body would be machined from the same piece of aluminum, right? Your N3W looks to have the same 6 double pawl design as my BX312R. Will the N3W freehub be seeing the same duty as your old Shimano freehub? Do you generate a lot of power or have a big load on the freehub? I am not a beginner, but I do NOT generate a lot of power, and I weigh ~175 pounds/80Kg. It would be good to know if your N3W freehub suffers the pawl pocket problem to the same extent.