Chris King Hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Have to say, I am starting to be pretty disappointed in these. I have 2 sets of the R45 with ceramic bearings and find the pre-load adjustment stuff very frustrating. I needed to adjust preload on my front hub and it was literally torqued so tight from the factory that when using very high quality tools (Silca, Effeto Mariposa) the 5mm hex bolt just cracked the side of the axle and stipped the bolt completely. Even if CK mailed me new components, there's no way I can get the lock ring for the preload cap off of here.

The max on my torque wrench is 15Nm and this was far beyond that. I let CK know via email, so hopefully this can be warrantied or replaced.
Attachments
IMG_1487.jpeg
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

End caps often crack/round when the allen key is not inserted fully.

Also not having tried the tools you have it is not possible to say if the fit was good or not. Bad fitting tools regardless of the brand name cause this issue.

The end cap should not be as tight as you found though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rollinslow

by rollinslow

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:04 pm

Also not having tried the tools you have it is not possible to say if the fit was good or not. Bad fitting tools regardless of the brand name cause this issue.

That's a good point. Maybe with how incredibly high torque I was up against, the key shifted and was no longer inserted straight.

5DII

by 5DII

rollinslow wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:09 pm
bm0p700f wrote:

That's a good point. Maybe with how incredibly high torque I was up against, the key shifted and was no longer inserted straight.
What was CK's response to your email?

rollinslow

by rollinslow

5DII wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:42 am
rollinslow wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:09 pm
bm0p700f wrote:

What was CK's response to your email?
CK warrantied the ankle, paid for me to ship it to them, sent it back a few weeks later fixed. Service was great. However, I have since moved on from CK because 1) they ditched Campy and 2) Campy makes a better hub :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

smokva

by smokva

rollinslow wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:02 pm
CK warrantied the ankle, paid for me to ship it to them, sent it back a few weeks later fixed. Service was great. However, I have since moved on from CK because 1) they ditched Campy and 2) Campy makes a better hub :)
:beerchug: I'm also long time campagnolo hub lover. Their cup and cone system with preload nut is master art of simplicity and something that still stands as industry benchmark in my eyes. Shimano has gotten close with new generation of hubs with new preload adjustment system, but still my preference is with Campagnolo. Shimano has better seals though, but that is why Campa spins better.
Everything else is miles away.