Carbon Ti or Dt Swiss 240 Exp for Climbing Disc Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pmprego

by pmprego

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:02 am
pmprego wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:09 am
alcatraz wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:07 pm
Then 24h carbon-ti will be fine. Cx-sprint or any other 5gr spoke for that big brand feel. (No big brand wheel uses 4gr spokes like cx-ray.)

I think you'll be fine with 4 or 5gr at that weight and that usage.
Actually... on this... Zipp has the 303 firecrest with cx-sprint and the very high end 353 NSW with cx-ray so your sentence does not apply. Cx-ray seems to be reserved to the more premium offerings of also the big brands.
You're right. There are many of examples out there where premium wheels use lighter spokes.

However there is little doubt that a cx-sprint will outperform a cx-ray.

I'm surprised to hear that zipp use cx-ray spokes. It's not their style after watching their wheels over the years.

All my own wheels are low spoke count light spokes and they're not bad, but I don't make claims that they are high performing. It's just a style of wheel.

Also there is a situation where a lighter spoked wheel can outperform a heavier spoked wheel and that's if the hub geometry has been greatly improved. Has it? I'm curious to see pictures.
I'm trying to decide in a wheel build. That's why I've been reading about this. I've just read in a wheelbuilder website saying that the cx-sprint are indeed stronger, allow for a more stiff wheel but also will degrade faster than the cx-ray. I'm just replicating what I've read.

I arrived to this thread on trying to decide between the "standard" 240exp hubs vs the carbon ti very lightweight ones. In my short experience the lightweight options tend to give some drawbacks down the line.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Carbon-ti are nice hubs. Is it a rim brake wheelset?

RDY

by RDY

CX-ray is more than stiff enough for anything 45 or over, unless you're VERY heavy or do track monster / greipel type wattages, IMO. Shallow rims are a different story.