Mavic Releases First New Product After Sale -- Cosmic SLR 45 Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Saw this on Cycling Tips and found it to be an interesting release. Of interest, to me at least, is that Mavic has finally released a carbon tubeless wheel that does not require tape. They've gone with a sealed rim like Campagnolo has done with the Bora WTO.

Still has those wonderful Mavic "features" such as far too many proprietary components, but it's definitely something new and interesting.

Most interesting though, was the note in the article that Mavic is going to be pulling back from the accessories market (clothing, shoes, helmets) and putting their focus back on the wheel and rim market.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/09/mavic-h ... -wheelset/

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

EvilEuro wrote:Saw this on Cycling Tips and found it to be an interesting release. Of interest, to me at least, is that Mavic has finally released a carbon tubeless wheel that does not require tape. They've gone with a sealed rim like Campagnolo has done with the Bora WTO.

Still has those wonderful Mavic "features" such as far too many proprietary components, but it's definitely something new and interesting.

Most interesting though, was the note in the article that Mavic is going to be pulling back from the accessories market (clothing, shoes, helmets) and putting their focus back on the wheel and rim market.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/09/mavic-h ... -wheelset/
How is Mavic any different to all the other mainstream manufacturers in having proprietary parts? Campag/Fulcrum, DT Swiss & Shimano all have wheels that have to have original parts. It’s only really smaller brands that use outside hubs for their wheels that use standard spokes.

I typically spend upwards of £60k on Mavic a year but see very little evidence of their supposed warranty “issues”. When we do have a problem with a wheel, it tends to be due to being run into the ground by the owner, expecting a race wheel to be suitable for the commute to work through a London winter without any attention.

The focus on Mavic’s core products can only be a positive thing in my book. Their kit was good but was also an acquired taste. Fit on their clothing & shoes was a little odd too, although the shoes had been rejigged recently. Their €1000 shoes a few years ago were a product that I think they were not a strong enough player to pull off. Specialized have a big enough following to pull something like that off but not Mavic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

Their "road tubeless standard" is the way to go tubeless wise.

Ive just had a rim that exploded because air went into the rim (without me knowing of course) and kaput.

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

I have to say I always thought the mavic clothes were amongst the best fitting clothes around, without the pricetag (and admittedly the hipster flair) of Rapha or Assos. I have a Mavic windwest which is so head and shoulders above anything it's amazing that nobody else made anything similar.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Cycomanic wrote:I have to say I always thought the mavic clothes were amongst the best fitting clothes around, without the pricetag (and admittedly the hipster flair) of Rapha or Assos. I have a Mavic windwest which is so head and shoulders above anything it's amazing that nobody else made anything similar.
The sizing issues were mainly related to the shoes. Although the sizing on their H2O jackets was odd with very long arms for the size. I needed a medium to large fit on my torso but the small was perfect for arm length. Any other major I take a large.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I just had about four spokes replaced in a 12 year old Cosmic with alum brake track and I thought it was worth doing only because this is the first time its needed service and I raced on that wheelset for likely 8 years with tons of abuse. I have replaced a couple brgings here and there and it only had one broken spoke but the service guy found 3 others that were tweaked. They were only a little out of true after all that racing and training. Mavic make good wheels so I guess they should stick with what they know best. In Canada we have Louis Garneau that is one of our cycling clothing makers who are having finacial difficulties as they had branched out too much. Now they are refocusing on clothing again and hopefully be okay financially.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

I have to say, in this day and age where there are proprietary seatposts, stem/handlebar and headsets, and sometimes bottom brackets and cranksets, Mavic having proprietary parts for its factory wheelsets seems a minor issue. As one comment above noted, Campagnolo, Shimano and others (see, e.g., Lightweight) all use proprietary parts and don't get dinged for it like Mavic.

I have never had an issue with a Mavic product I've bought. In fact, I occasionally still ride on a pair of Cosmic Carbone SLs, which are heavy by today's standards (and, truthfully, even when they were a current product, over a decade ago), but have never, ever given me any problems, and still feel pretty darn fast on the flats and rollers. Unlike a set of handbuilt wheels I bought in the same era, using much-lauded White Ind. hubs, Sapim CX Ray spokes and DT rims, the Mavics fit my current 11-speed Shimano cassette and have never needed bearing replacements. Mavic's clothes admittedly have a certain Gallic styling to them that may turn some people off, but they were generally well-made and had some nice design features, IMHO.

I hope Mavic makes it, as an iconic brand that in my experience puts out solid, well-made product. I'm due for a new helmet soon, and I have to admit that one of the contenders is the Mavic Comete Ultimate, as I like the idea of a relatively light, well-vented helmet designed with an eye to aerodynamics, and the novel strap design just makes sense to me. So few reviews and opinions online, though, compared to the usual Specialized/Giro/Lazer/Kask crowd, and the pricing puts it up there with the top of the line from the more established helmet brands.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

People also have a short memory with regard to innovations Mavic has brought to cycling.
Alloy rims 1934
Eyeleted rims 1934
Hard anodised rims 1975
Cartridge bearing hubs 1975
Clincher rims 1975
Disc wheels 1973
Electronic gears 1992
Prebuilt wheels 1994
Tubeless wheels 1999

Not all have been successful straight off. But while we all scoffed at Zap, saying electronic gears will never catch on, we were wrong.

Plus, despite their recent troubles, the tubeless standard seems to be going their way. UST has been accepted by ETRTO.

BenScott144

by BenScott144

Anyone had a review of these yet?
Thinking of them for a Look build

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

https://youtu.be/ocw8WCKrlIU

You'll have to close caption with autotranslate to english and make sense unless you are fluent in french as well...

rides4beer

by rides4beer

There is zero need for a proprietary spoke/nipple system, especially when the result is nothing remarkable, stats seem like every other wheelset out there.

hannawald

by hannawald

It seems like perfect complement to Look, if you want to keep it french. I don´t know about any major drawbacks if you have a good distributor in your country.. (in my country it is not the case so I avoid Mavic)

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

I've been eyeing these wheels. The engineering seems solid, they are light enough, and given my past experiences with Mavic wheels, they should be stiff and durable as well.

andygravett

by andygravett

Reading about the re-designed Mavic Cosmic SLR 45 Disc Wheels for 2021, any thoughts, anyone tried them please? I run Kyserim Pro UST Discs on my other bike albeit, with better tyres which are fantastic and have also ridden older Cosmic SL rims in the past without any issue, I see they have an upgraded infinity hub that can also be dampened.
Attachments
Mavic-Cosmic-SLR-45-Disc-Road-Wheelset-Wheel-Sets-Black-LP1321100.jpg

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

seems they came in at 801.5+684 =1485.5g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com