Goodyear UHP tubeless tires

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

New thread since the previous one is two years old and the new tires are different enough from the old Eagle All-Seasons.

Currently there are three models in the line-up:
Eagle F1 TLC - 25/28/30/32mm
Eagle F1 SuperSport TLC - 25/28mm
Vector 4Seasons TLC - 25/28/30/32mm

These tires are manufactured in Taiwan by a company called Rubber Kinetics in partnership with Goodyear.

Thanks to user Junior Varsity for his helpful presence on these forums.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I hadn't planned on installing my Eagle F1 SS so soon, but an ominous looking sidewall cut on my Veloflex Corsas prompted the change.

I mounted them tonight; here are my observations:

One tire weighs 256g while the other weighs 265g. Claimed weight for a 25mm tire is 255g. The rubber on these tires is very grippy in hand and the sidewalls feel thick and somewhat stiff. The bead is also quite large compared to many other tires. On the interior of the tire casing is a cracked pattern...I'm not sure if it has a function or if it's just a "signature." Perhaps the tooling uses the raised lines for added grip as it rolls out the rubber?

Installation on a pair of ENVE SES 5.6 Disc wheels was not easy. The stiffness of the casing, bead diameter and bead circumference made for a very tight fit. I managed to get one tire on by hand, just barely. I resorted to a single tire lever for the second tire. I managed to seat both tires with a track pump, again just barely. I added 40mL of sealant to each tire and sloshed it around, then inflated them to the max rated 110psi to leave overnight. At this pressure, the tire on the front wheel measured between ~26.05-26.55mm on a 19mm/28.75mm rim while the rear tire measured between ~25.65mm-26.25mm on a 19mm/28mm rim. The variance in width isn't ideal. For comparison, just before mounting the Goodyears, I mounted a pair of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactiks to my 7.8s. They went on easily by hand, inflated effortlessly with a track pump and measured ~27.00-27.25mm. I'll measure the Goodyears a few more times. Maybe they'll even out in time.

No ride report yet. I'll try to get out tomorrow.

alanyu

by alanyu

I'm back and forth between F1 TL and F1 SS TL. I need a tire a bit more puncture resistant than pro one addix. From the weight F1 SS seems to be OK but Goodyear classifies it as a TT tire.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Another random note... The SuperSports have a "rotation -->" label despite not having a directional tread.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:15 am
I hadn't planned on installing my Eagle F1 SS so soon, but an ominous looking sidewall cut on my Veloflex Corsas prompted the change.

One tire weighs 256g while the other weighs 265g. Claimed weight for a 25mm tire is 255g. The rubber on these tires is very grippy in hand and the sidewalls feel thick and somewhat stiff. The bead is also quite large compared to many other tires. On the interior of the tire casing is a cracked pattern...I'm not sure if it has a function or if it's just a "signature." Perhaps the tooling uses the raised lines for added grip as it rolls out the rubber?

Installation on a pair of ENVE SES 5.6 Disc wheels was not easy. The stiffness of the casing, bead diameter and bead circumference made for a very tight fit. I managed to get one tire on by hand, just barely. I resorted to a single tire lever for the second tire. I managed to seat both tires with a track pump, again just barely. I added 40mL of sealant to each tire and sloshed it around, then inflated them to the max rated 110psi to leave overnight. At this pressure, the tire on the front wheel measured between ~26.05-26.55mm on a 19mm/28.75mm rim while the rear tire measured between ~25.65mm-26.25mm on a 19mm/28mm rim. The variance in width isn't ideal. For comparison, just before mounting the Goodyears, I mounted a pair of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactiks to my 7.8s. They went on easily by hand, inflated effortlessly with a track pump and measured ~27.00-27.25mm. I'll measure the Goodyears a few more times. Maybe they'll even out in time.

mine are in the post. got loyalty discount from wiggle. Similar to you, i had the choice of veloflex or F1 SS. After reading the user experience of veloflex i decided to go with F1 SS. (i still run veloflex on all other bikes, just this time i want to try tubeless).

I read some where that manufacturer recommends double the sealant dosage on the very first time the tyres are mounted and go and do some test ride miles straight after mounting to ensure the sealants are distributed properly. Any thought on this?
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

WorkonSunday wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:12 am

I read some where that manufacturer recommends double the sealant dosage on the very first time the tyres are mounted and go and do some test ride miles straight after mounting to ensure the sealants are distributed properly. Any thought on this?

I would definitely use 50-60mL of sealant on thirsty tires like the Veloflex Corsas or Vittoria Corsas. With vulcanized tires, I just stick to 30-40mL. WRT to doing a "test ride," it's unnecessary with vulcanized tires, and not entirely necessary for the cotton-casing tubeless tires. Just sloshing the sealant around during installation will mostly take care of any slow leaks. You may notice the cotton tires like the Corsa leak up to 15psi in a 24 hour period initially, then eventually it ends up being closer to ~5-7psi. I bet the Goodyears lose less air than that per 24 hours.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:23 am
WorkonSunday wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:12 am

I would definitely use 50-60mL of sealant on thirsty tires like the Veloflex Corsas or Vittoria Corsas. With vulcanized tires, I just stick to 30-40mL. WRT to doing a "test ride," it's unnecessary with vulcanized tires, and not entirely necessary for the cotton-casing tubeless tires. Just sloshing the sealant around during installation will mostly take care of any slow leaks. You may notice the cotton tires like the Corsa leak up to 15psi in a 24 hour period initially, then eventually it ends up being closer to ~5-7psi. I bet the Goodyears lose less air than that per 24 hours.
thanks. Will report back on my experience of mounting these. They are going onto zipp 303 FC 2021. :beerchug:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

robeambro

by robeambro

Mine should be arriving today. I still have broken skin from installing (better, failing at installing) the Michelin Power Road, so that's going to be fun. They're the last tyre I try before going to Galactiks - which I've not tried only cause I like to have 28mm tyres at the back, and I haven't quite found much availability of those in this size.

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:15 am

Thanks for the call out earlier and kicking off the thread. I'll try to answer as best as possible when I can.

Regarding the width variances your seeing, the ENVE SES 5.6 disc are an interesting set of wheels to say the least. They have a 19mm front and 20mm rear inner rim width which will change the size of our 700x25 tire by an estimated +.4mm front vs. rear almost perfectly inline with what you're seeing. Your 7.8 Disc are a 19mm front / rear inner width rim. In addition, we see significant variances on carbon crotched rims ('hooked') with consistant inner rim widths as many are post mold finished to reduce sharp / rough areas. This is not specific to Enve.

The inner pattern on the tire is from the bladder used during the curing process. See the attached image.

Now for the disclaimer...

ETRTO guidelines limits maximum tire pressure to 5 bar / 72.5 psi for Tubeless Straight Sidewall aka 'hookless rims' and maxium pressure should be the lower of the published tire or rim max.

Due to the various manufacturing methods used to produce carbon clincher rims, the tire’s bead or sidewall may be damaged by sharp and or a non-smooth contour of the rim’s flange edge. Before fitting, it is recommended to ensure that the rim has a smooth contour, free of sharp edges with a smooth surface in order to not damage the tire. Consult a bicycle professional for additional support.
Attachments
Eagle F1 SuperSport.jpg
Last edited by Junior Varsity on Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doing bike things.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Air loss +1 day after installation is excellent / minimal. After deflating the tires to 80psi, I measured the front at between 26.2mm-27.0mm, rear at 26.2mm-26.6mm. I think the height/RAM of the mounted tires is quite significant compared to the WAM.

From a comfort/suppleness standpoint they are pretty average, maybe better than expected considering how stiff they felt during the mounting process. I topped 80.5km/h today on a -5.5% grade, this is a rarity for me. No surprises on a 5km 8% climb either. I think the key feature of these tires is the grip. Not once did I skid my rear tire under hard braking, and I felt very confident leaning deep into some sharp corners. I wonder if the shape of the tire has anything to do with this...it's something I've never paid attention to before.

robeambro

by robeambro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:42 am
Air loss +1 day after installation is excellent / minimal. After deflating the tires to 80psi, I measured the front at between 26.2mm-27.0mm, rear at 26.2mm-26.6mm. I think the height/RAM of the mounted tires is quite significant compared to the WAM.

From a comfort/suppleness standpoint they are pretty average, maybe better than expected considering how stiff they felt during the mounting process. I topped 80.5km/h today on a -5.5% grade, this is a rarity for me. No surprises on a 5km 8% climb either. I think the key feature of these tires is the grip. Not once did I skid my rear tire under hard braking, and I felt very confident leaning deep into some sharp corners. I wonder if the shape of the tire has anything to do with this...it's something I've never paid attention to before.
Thanks. Any guesstimate on RR? From your descending speed I'd guess you felt it's a fast tyre.

Getting mine today, finally. I won't be able to measure them, and the Emonda is coming next week, so won't even be able to try them. Living vicariously through your experiences :lol:

alanyu

by alanyu

Junior Varsity wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:53 pm
Thanks for the call out earlier and kicking off the thread. I'll try to answer as best as possible when I can.

Regarding the width variances your seeing, the ENVE SES 5.6 disc are an interesting set of wheels to say the least. They have a 19mm front and 20mm rear inner rim width which will change the size of our 700x25 tire by an estimated +.4mm front vs. rear almost perfectly inline with what you're seeing. Your 7.8 Disc are a 19mm front / rear inner width rim. In addition, we see significant variances on carbon crotched rims ('hooked') with consistant inner rim widths as many are post mold finished to reduce sharp / rough areas. This is not specific to Enve.

The inner pattern on the tire is from the bladder used during the curing process. See the attached image.

Now for the disclaimer...

ETRTO guidelines limits maximum tire pressure to 5 bar / 72.5 psi for Tubeless Straight Sidewall aka 'hookless rims' and maxium pressure should be the lower of the published tire or rim max.

Due to the various manufacturing methods used to produce carbon clincher rims, the tire’s bead or sidewall may be damaged by sharp and or a non-smooth contour of the rim’s flange edge. Before fitting, it is recommended to ensure that the rim has a smooth contour, free of sharp edges with a smooth surface in order to not damage the tire. Consult a bicycle professional for additional support.
Hi Varsity, could you tell me how much the difference of the punture resistance there is between F1 TL and F1 supersport TL? On the official table, the compound and tech used are the same, and the only difference is the pattern and weight. Are they actually the same puncture protection structure but F1 SS TL has a less rubber thickness?

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

alanyu wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:27 am

Hi Varsity, could you tell me how much the difference of the punture resistance there is between F1 TL and F1 supersport TL? On the official table, the compound and tech used are the same, and the only difference is the pattern and weight. Are they actually the same puncture protection structure but F1 SS TL has a less rubber thickness?
With our Tubeless Complete versions of the Eagle F1 and Eagle F1 SuperSport, the main difference is the reduction in tread cap thickness. This will have a direct impact on puncture resistance. Both tires utalize our 1/2-Ply multi-compound tubeless liner which also provides anti-puncture protection.

For the Tube Type versions, The Eagle F1 SuperSport's R:Shield breaker belt is narrower but still 15mm wide, providing good anti-puncture coverage. This width is inline with our competitor's standard 'all-round' road race tires. Most 'time trial' specific tires don't have a breaker belt which does lower weight even more but we felt that going to that extreme was not the correct choice.

To the ealier point on the bead size, yes our Dual Angle Bead is larger than some other on the market, but it's this feature that when combined with our 1/2-Ply liner provides for easier set up across the vast numer of rims on the market along providing better air retention aka our 'Tubeless Complete' design. A bi-product of this set up is more sealant remains after installation for when you need it.
Doing bike things.

alanyu

by alanyu

Junior Varsity wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:20 pm
With our Tubeless Complete versions of the Eagle F1 and Eagle F1 SuperSport, the main difference is the reduction in tread cap thickness. This will have a direct impact on puncture resistance. Both tires utalize our 1/2-Ply multi-compound tubeless liner which also provides anti-puncture protection.

For the Tube Type versions, The Eagle F1 SuperSport's R:Shield breaker belt is narrower but still 15mm wide, providing good anti-puncture coverage. This width is inline with our competitor's standard 'all-round' road race tires. Most 'time trial' specific tires don't have a breaker belt which does lower weight even more but we felt that going to that extreme was not the correct choice.

To the ealier point on the bead size, yes our Dual Angle Bead is larger than some other on the market, but it's this feature that when combined with our 1/2-Ply liner provides for easier set up across the vast numer of rims on the market along providing better air retention aka our 'Tubeless Complete' design. A bi-product of this set up is more sealant remains after installation for when you need it.
Well, if the protection of Eagle F1 TL is rated as 10, how much would you rate Eagle F1 SuperSport TL and their tube type versions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’ll probably order the regular Eagle F1s next time if the tread thickness is the only real difference between the F1s and F1 SuperSports.