Goodyear UHP tubeless tires

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
sethjs

by sethjs

I did the 28c tubeless on a 25 inner width (4.5AR) before the revised guidance to max 23 and hadn’t seen 24 was technically the limit.

Net - it’s bad don’t go there. I realized after a few hundred miles that *both* front and rear had sections that were not seated properly. They were effectively “lifting” off the bead shelf. I have to imagine that was pretty dangerous and I was pretty lucky because I did push them hard on high speed corners.

Can’t speak to the tube type. I have 25c on 21 inner right now and all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Can you elaborate with what you mean when you say this:
had sections that were not seated properly. They were effectively “lifting” off the bead shelf.
I have been running the 28c on 3.4AR internal rims for ~500 miles and haven't noticed this issue.

On a different note, I slashed one of these with a piece of metal or glass typical of norcal december roads which was a good reminder that I probably can't afford race tires for junk miles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sethjs

by sethjs

If you looked closely when rotating the whee around, you’d notice one ~3cm section on one side was slightly “higher” than the rest. You could look at the seam near the bead that rests just above the rim and tell. It probably reached a high of 2-3mm higher than the rest. The front tire was less lifted than the back. Maybe ~2cm section and 2mm.

I looked because I felt a bit of a rhythmic thump when I was descending route 9 toward Saratoga.

On the same wheels, no problem with Vittoria Corsas or Pirelli P Zero Race, both in 28.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Love that descent...on round tires.

sethjs

by sethjs

First flat on the F1 SuperSports clinchers. Was with latex tubes. Clear pinprick on the outside of the latex tube. Can't for the life of me find where the object entered in the carcas of the tire itself.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

sethjs wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:52 pm
If you looked closely when rotating the whee around, you’d notice one ~3cm section on one side was slightly “higher” than the rest. You could look at the seam near the bead that rests just above the rim and tell. It probably reached a high of 2-3mm higher than the rest. The front tire was less lifted than the back. Maybe ~2cm section and 2mm.

I looked because I felt a bit of a rhythmic thump when I was descending route 9 toward Saratoga.

On the same wheels, no problem with Vittoria Corsas or Pirelli P Zero Race, both in 28.

So they weren't installed / seated correctly.

This often happens with stubborn tyres. I've had to inflate a few up to 120psi and bang / bounce off the floor the knock the bead into place. Then they've been perfect after initially seated.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

Soapy water and a shot of compressed gas from a compressor or something like airshot is better. Some of the wider carbon rims are not built to withstand triple digit psi, especially with +28c tires.

sethjs

by sethjs

ryanw wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:28 pm
sethjs wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:52 pm

So they weren't installed / seated correctly.

This often happens with stubborn tyres. I've had to inflate a few up to 120psi and bang / bounce off the floor the knock the bead into place. Then they've been perfect after initially seated.
Can you expand on this? This wasn't a case of the bead failing to rise up over the shelf. This was actually a case of the bead seeming to be resting *above* the shelf, unable to come back down.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

That is only possible if the rim circumference is smaller than the tire, right?

sethjs

by sethjs

My two theories were a) bead got stretched on installation or b) if 25 inner for 28c is truly too large something has to give in the system somewhere. So one of the two beads lifted slightly and was the bit that gave. See (a) above for what became the weak link

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

May have been a faulty tyre but I can't say for sure.

Zipps 303S are 23mm ID hookless and perfect with 28s and the Enve is 25mm ID hookless and designed for both 28 and 30c tyres.

Hence why I suggested install error. But haven't fitted these tyres before, so don't know how problematic they can be.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Tofast

by Tofast

I just mounted my tubeless F1 and they were so nice to assemble compared to GP500PTL and they just pumped up with a regular pump with the valve core still in. They behave like it was a tube inside them.
They seem to hold pressure very good even without tubeless liquid.
With an ID21 they measure 29.3mm (28mm). The rims are lightbicycl AR36/46 with hooks.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

sethjs wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:49 am
b) if 25 inner for 28c is truly too large something has to give in the system somewhere. So one of the two beads lifted slightly and was the bit that gave.
That's not likely. 28c Goodyear Eagle F1 (Supersport) has 65.5mm wide casing when laying flat on the table. 65.5mm circumference should be enough to still form a tire shape on 25mm wide rim.

Tire lifting from the rim is only possible when the rim has smaller diameter than the tire. (Otherwise, tire would still try to compress on the rim and not lifting up). To try solving the symptom, maybe add another layer of rim tape to take away extra tire slack would help?

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I'm in the same boat as sethjs on this one. When I read the posts I was honestly confused about what he was talking about but it's clear that there is something wrong in system. Same setup, ENVE 3.4ARs with 28mm Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports. Bead is definately set all the way around the wheel. There are multiple spots where the bead is "lifting" off of the rim.

Here's a spot where the bead is lifted:

Here's a spot where it's "normal":

I don't remember seeing this when I installed the tires so maybe they stretched at pressure? These tires have never seen over 55 psi during their very very short lifetime. I tried deflating and reseating the tire again, it still bulges at the same spot.
Regradless, that's it for me with these tires. Not being able to run a 28mm tire with a 25mm internal rim safely is a massive deal breaker for me. I'll be going back to Pro Ones and Rapid Airs from now forward.

Edit: Has anyone with hookless rims not experienced this issue?

NSWCruiser

by NSWCruiser

Looks quite awkward now. I expect my 4.5 AR to arrive in 1-2 weeks and I have already bought the Goodyear Eagle F1 SS tyres. If I don't want to unmount my tyres in the future, should I just pick another tyres?
2023 S-WORKS EPIC EVO
2024 S-WORKS TARMAC SL8

Retired
-------------
2022 Cervelo R5
2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com