Goodyear UHP tubeless tires

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Hexsense

by Hexsense

Luca199 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:41 am
Torn between GP5000 TL 25mm and Goodyear Eagle F1 TL 25mm... mounting them on Campy carbon Wheelset internal width 19mm, external width 26mm.

I can see Goodyear has the ease of installation, better grip and air pressure retention, but lags behind in terms of rolling resistance and puncture protection. They have the tan wall option, which I'm very interested in!

Conti seem to have better rolling resistance, better puncture protection, but are very difficult to install and may leak more pressure. All Black option only, no tan wall.

What's your take/review? Any thoughts? Will the rolling resistance difference be noticeable? What about the puncture protection, any major differences?

I'm planning on using Stans No Tubes classic sealant (not the race version) at 40ml per tyre. Any other products and/or dosages I should be aware of?

Thank you for your help/feedback!
Goodyear would be quite a bit narrower than the GP5000, like 1mm narrower.
Since your rim is only 26mm wide. Maybe Goodyear is a better fit.

CR987

by CR987

I'm impressed with the Goodyear after 800km on them (I have been on Schwalbe Pro One's for 4 years previously).
They feel solid, more substantial and grip really nicely.
Their ease of installation and instant inflation more than make up for 2 watts (!!!) of difference in rolling resistance.
I'm comparing a 25mm Schwalbe vs 28mm Goodyear which are identical on width and height.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Luca199 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:41 am
Torn between GP5000 TL 25mm and Goodyear Eagle F1 TL 25mm... mounting them on Campy carbon Wheelset internal width 19mm, external width 26mm.

I can see Goodyear has the ease of installation, better grip and air pressure retention, but lags behind in terms of rolling resistance and puncture protection. They have the tan wall option, which I'm very interested in!

Conti seem to have better rolling resistance, better puncture protection, but are very difficult to install and may leak more pressure. All Black option only, no tan wall.

What's your take/review? Any thoughts? Will the rolling resistance difference be noticeable? What about the puncture protection, any major differences?

I'm planning on using Stans No Tubes classic sealant (not the race version) at 40ml per tyre. Any other products and/or dosages I should be aware of?

Thank you for your help/feedback!
in my experience gp5000 got one of the worst grip in the wet amongst top tier race tyres, F1ss on the other hand is amongst the best. i guess it's a trade off between rolling resistance and grip. i also found F1ss more comfortable than gp5000. (note that i havess version, you are asking about the F1 non-ss).
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

naylor343

by naylor343

Anyone out there got anymore long term, high mileage reviews on the F1 and F1ss. I am thinking of giving up on tubeless, but still have an itch that needs scratching.

Interested to hear about wet grip and puncture resistance. Not so much here, but on dealers website reviews, I see a lot saying they get too many punctures and wet weather grip is poor. But I know well that more than often it is only the people with bad experiences that review on these pages, or it's the classic, 'better than my old gatorskins'.

Also, are people finding that the SS versions are worth the few grams saved over the standard F1's when looking at longevity?

Thanks.

fruitfly

by fruitfly

I have about 4000km on a 28c rear F1 and 25c front F1ss tubeless. Clearly showing signs of wear (flattened at top), no punctures, hold air well, good grip. I am training for Everesting, and I do a lot of coasting down a ski hill road without pedalling. I don't go as fast on descents with the F1 mounted as I do on Conti 5000 TL.
Factor Ostro

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I had zero punctures on my Eagle F1 SS and did not think the wet grip was bad. It was more that the dry grip was amazing so whenever I did descend on damp mornings, my brain was calibrated to overall higher expectations.

As each technology stands right now, I have no good reason to go back to tubes.

On descents I lose more time with tires I don’t trust vs tires I do trust. My fastest descent times have always been on 28mm over 25mm and tires I felt were grippier vs slightly better Crr.

naylor343

by naylor343

Tobin and Firefly, thanks for the responses.

Tobin, as I guy that I know has tried most of the tyres I have been using and like, what is now your go to tubless tyre with what is available? Me, I love the the veloflex corsa, but it just doesn't work tubeless. Every time I check, I found I am riding on air alone and zero sealent. Corsa controls, amazing, but too fragile. The both of them, once worn in, so hard to re-seat if for any reason they had to be removed. So, before I go back to latex tubes, I am just hoping that the Goodyear's are that holy grail, almost the same ride as a handmade tyre but with all the benefits and ease of life from a vulcanized tyre. Above all grip and comfort are the top priority, speed is secondary, nice to have, but it ain't gonna change my day.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

At this very moment I am on 28mm Pro Ones and satisfied. They have taken a couple days to become “fully” airtight.

I rode Corsa Speeds to the cord on rough roads in the last 2 months so I don’t really agree that the Vittoria stuff is fragile. They do have QC issues though, but seemingly every tire brand does now. I do agree that they are hard to reseat if they ever come off the rim. The sealant really gets glued onto the bead compared to vulcanized tires.

The most popular tires here are the GP5K, Pro One and Vittoria Corsas. Some guys have even also been running the Pro One TTs on the road.

The only current model ps tire I actively avoid are the Veloflex Corsa TLR stuff.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I really like the 28mm pro ones as well..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:42 am
I really like the 28mm pro ones as well..

And the Pro One TTs also come in 28mm. Those may end up being my default race tire. Eagle F1s might be my fall/winter training tire just because Orange Seal lasts forever in those tires.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

hey GL @ copper
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

naylor343

by naylor343

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:21 am
At this very moment I am on 28mm Pro Ones and satisfied. They have taken a couple days to become “fully” airtight.

I rode Corsa Speeds to the cord on rough roads in the last 2 months so I don’t really agree that the Vittoria stuff is fragile. They do have QC issues though, but seemingly every tire brand does now. I do agree that they are hard to reseat if they ever come off the rim. The sealant really gets glued onto the bead compared to vulcanized tires.

The most popular tires here are the GP5K, Pro One and Vittoria Corsas. Some guys have even also been running the Pro One TTs on the road.

The only current model ps tire I actively avoid are the Veloflex Corsa TLR stuff.

Yep, will agree, fragile not the correct word. Poor construction/QC was definitely the problem with both of my corsa controls. The tread was actually great, super grippy and wore quite well, even better if it had stayed in place! Peeling side walls and the vittorias name plate thingy also coming off. I did manage to overcome the re-seating issues with both the vittorias and the veloflex. The issue was more down to the lack of any shape or stiffness once they had plenty of use and not so much sticking sealent. A 30mm wide ratchet strap around the mounted tyre forces the beads onto the tape and as it inflates it pushes the strap off. A solution to a problem, but definitely not ideal. So I am gonna give the F1's a shot. After a huge search I can find a pair of SS versions in the size i want and i may give the 4 seasons a go too at the same time.

sethjs

by sethjs

So I've run almost all of the relevant TLR tires except the Pro Ones.

Grip on Vittorias is *amazing*. But agree hard to seat and can be bad on QC.

Dry grip on Goodyears is great. Wet grip is really bad - had multiple bad experiences.

Currently on the Pirelli P Zero Race SL. Haven't flattened (Silicon Valley roads) and they are definitely fast. Dry grip good. Wet grip tbd, much better than the Goodyears, don't feel as confident in them as the Vittorias.

My net: I'd either listen to THY and go with the Pro Ones, or go w/the Pirellis. I'd avoid the Goodyears if you ever ride in wet, but in dry they're good. Incidentally, I ran the SS clinchers w/Latex and the regular in TLR. The regular in TLR tests poorly for RR. The SS with Latex tests well. See aerocoach.

johnnyb2

by johnnyb2

Anyone have the 30mm Eagle F1 Tubeless on the 2021 Zipp 303FC?

Just received my tires and they're marked with "For Use with Crotchet Type Rim Only" which makes me think they are NOT compatible with hookless rims.
On the Zipp website they say Goodyear tubeless tires are compatible without explicit exceptions.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

johnnyb2 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:04 pm
Anyone have the 30mm Eagle F1 Tubeless on the 2021 Zipp 303FC?

Just received my tires and they're marked with "For Use with Crotchet Type Rim Only" which makes me think they are NOT compatible with hookless rims.
On the Zipp website they say Goodyear tubeless tires are compatible without explicit exceptions.

Goodyear clarified and said those were early mislabeled samples. They are hookless compatible, though keep an eye on the sidewalls, some ENVE SES 4.5 AR owners have reported 28mm tires lifting themselves up from the bead seat. It's an unsupported combination though since Goodyear also indicates their 28mm Eagle F1 TLC are only to be used with 23mm internal rims or narrower.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com