Goodyear UHP tubeless tires

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Same here tire is not grippy in the wet. I also had instances where tire slipped in wet patches. I went back to conti gp5000

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Just got messaged by a clubmate that him and another person went off on 84 today, so there is something slick on the road after the last rain. Could also just be the smaller bits of debris from the hillside being washed onto the road.

sethjs

by sethjs

I descended it today at ~8a. It was still wet - more so than OLH & W OLH. Better believe I went slow and with 28c tires on 4.5ARs at 60 psi (Pirelli P Zero Race).

After this experience I’m going to get wet grip comparative data between tires. Only falls I’ve had in last few years have been in the same conditions. I suspect some tires (Corsas) are better than others. But time to get the data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyv

by easyv

sethjs wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:05 am
I descended it today at ~8a. It was still wet - more so than OLH & W OLH. Better believe I went slow and with 28c tires on 4.5ARs at 60 psi (Pirelli P Zero Race).

After this experience I’m going to get wet grip comparative data between tires. Only falls I’ve had in last few years have been in the same conditions. I suspect some tires (Corsas) are better than others. But time to get the data.

Just as surprised as you that bicycle tire manufacturers don't have wear / dry / wet performance ratings similar to car tires.

naylor343

by naylor343

sethjs wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:05 am

Corsa controls grip like no other. Trouble is longevity, they are soft and the construction is not the best. Tread separation can be a problem.

sethjs

by sethjs

Bicyclerollingresistance.com review of the tubeless Eagle F1 is now out.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... 1-tubeless

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Pretty good for an everyday style tire tbh.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

If by "pretty good" you mean slower than competing tyres from Michelin, Hutchinson, Schwalbe, Vittoria, Conti, Pirelli, ENVE/tufo and Specialized........

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Well no, the competing tire to all mentioned above would be the supersport model.
Last edited by AnkitS on Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

petromyzon wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:18 pm
If by "pretty good" you mean slower than competing tyres from Michelin, Hutchinson, Schwalbe, Vittoria, Conti, Pirelli, ENVE/tufo and Specialized........

Crr is just one attribute of a tire. There’s also grip, road feel, protection, tread endurance, ease of install, price, etc.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:36 pm
Well no, the competing tire to all mentioned above would be the supersport model.
Most of the companies I mentioned offer a faster model for TT etc.
Supersport is the fastest available from Goodyear "for road race, TT and Triathlon" according to their website. Eagle F1 is the second tier.

As THY points out, speed is part of a multi-parameter tradeoff in tyre choice and it may be that Goodyear have chosen radically different market positioning than the other major players.

Unfortunately it's not easy for the consumer to make an unbiased assessment of the other parameters (no, I DGAF if someone had a slip on tyre X or someone's second uncle twice removed had two punctures in one ride on tyre Y).

So we would have to take it on faith that the several watts of loss in CRR is a worthwhile tradeoff vs. the other options.

In addition, Aerocoach tested the Supersport clincher and TLR and they were separated by a larger margin than the analogous GP5000 tyres. So I would suspect that the tubeless technology here is more costly than competitors in terms of CRR.

naylor343

by naylor343

I was planning to get a set of the F1 and 4 seasons in tubeless this week. Now I have doubts and am a little confused. Was getting these due to ease of mounting and the reported amazing grip, but after some reports here I am seeking some further reviews. Looking at the reports I think that possibly the tyres were pushed too far on some sketchy steep descent or on a mixture of damp, plus road oil.

Anyone have any good reports of these tyres in the wet? I live in the high mountains, lots of snow melt in the winter/spring and rain during the remainder, plus fast twisty descents, so grip is a priority. Need to change my current corsa controls soon as they are falling apart. Great grip, but after not a lot of use, they now have far more flexi super glue holding the tread on than I care for.

paulelana

by paulelana

A couple of rides in the wet on my 4 seasons. Last one on muddy farm tracks and flooded roads at 2 centigrade. I had no issues at all but I wasn't throwing the bike around. Never felt worried on them. Set up on my LB AR rims was easy, 21mm internal width and 28 tyres come up 29.5 mms at 65 psi. Can't say I'm any good at judging rolling resistance but time was only marginally slower than a summer tyre in warm weather.

bcmf

by bcmf

Any idea when the 'tan' sidewalls will bw available and where in Europe* they can be purchased.
I have a set of rims on the way to be built up and should be ready by the end of March.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:36 am
Air retention on the F1s/SS = insanely good. I could easily get away with pumping them up just once a week. Really seems like they lose less than 1psi per day starting from 85psi. In my head, that should mean sealant should last longer as well with such low gas/liquid permeability.

So the follow-up to this is yes, the insanely low air/liquid permeability of these tires meant that my Orange Seal stayed liquid all this time. There wasn’t even a lump anywhere on the inner surface of the tire from long-term storage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com