What wheels would you put on a Pinarello Dogma F10 ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LeDuke

by LeDuke

TonyM wrote:
nafaiutb wrote:None. I'd sell the made in China Pinarello and buy a nice bike instead.

....Someone here is pretty much in the US election mood..

Come on, your post doesn’t help the OP...Image
I promise we’re not all like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

I read the title. Call it cognitive bias, but Bora's immediately jumped to mind.

Then I kept reading on about the requirements and the Bora recommendation hardened from firm to crystallized.

Then I read your last sentence and I was like wow I don't need to reply.

Then I read Noctiluxx's reply and chuckled a bit in agreement and felt compelled to give 2 cents.

The Bora tubs literally fits the bill except the non-mainstream bit. And with some flexibility you could even rationalize that:

1. Tubs themselves are pretty hipster in the modern age to begin with.
2. Personally, I don't see many Pinarello's being built with Campy parts, let alone the wheels. The majority I see out in the wild where I live are built with Shimano/AXS gruppos and likewise some other non-Campy set of wheels. Maybe your area's different... but I hardly see any Bora's. And I'm actively looking for them on my rides.

And there have been amazing deals on the Bora tubs for some time. They're a perfect match for the Dogma, and Campy carbon brake tracks are fantastic for what they are. But if you want to take the topic of brand matching and step it up a notch, it'd be good to know what groupset you plan to run.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

what is the maximum width tire the pinarello disk f10 can take? a 25mm on a 21mm width measures out close to 28.
TonyM wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:04 am
I have a set of DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 48 DB on my F10 disk.
And I just ordered a rear 62 to run as a combo 48/62.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

TonyM

by TonyM

spartan wrote:what is the maximum width tire the pinarello disk f10 can take? a 25mm on a 21mm width measures out close to 28.
TonyM wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:04 am
I have a set of DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 48 DB on my F10 disk.
And I just ordered a rear 62 to run as a combo 48/62.
On my F10 disk (not the rim version) the Veloflex Corsa 25 and the Vittoria Open Corsa 25 on my DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut (17mm) have plenty of room.

ImageImage

nafaiutb

by nafaiutb

TonyM wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:00 pm
nafaiutb wrote:None. I'd sell the made in China Pinarello and buy a nice bike instead.
....Someone here is pretty much in the US election mood..

Come on, your post doesn’t help the OP...Image
I promise you it's not politics or xenophobia. I'd rather live in China than in Trump's US.
It's just a slightly sad rant against all the 'European' or 'American' brands who flaunt their origins, having abandoned (or never had) them. Specialized, Pinarello, Trek, Bianchi, Canyon, Hunt wheels, etc. etc.
So in response to the OP I'll add my voice to the others': Campagnolo Bora.

muntos

by muntos

maxim809 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:42 pm
And there have been amazing deals on the Bora tubs for some time. They're a perfect match for the Dogma, and Campy carbon brake tracks are fantastic for what they are. But if you want to take the topic of brand matching and step it up a notch, it'd be good to know what groupset you plan to run.
Ufff.. the grupset story... :roll:
I was (I'm still) open to all options, more on Shimano and SRAM, don't know why I didn't pay to much attention to Campa groupset, probably because is so rare that I almost have no knowledge about how it stands compared to the other two.

Currently I run on Dura Ace DI2, it served my flawlessly for more that 4 years but I was tempted to try eTAP for the new build. Reading some reviews, speaking with some eTap owners I concluded that the "old" eTap is a no-go for me, maybe the new AXS eTap. But the problem with the AXS is that requires a different freehub and I would like to be able to swap the wheels from one bike to another.
So I decided to stick with Shimano, especially that the F10 frame has build-in support for DI2 junction unit.
But now I started looking at the Campa EPS Super Record (12 speed, even better that DI2), I don't know how it performs compared to DI2 but I feel that for a Pinarello with Bora wheels would be the best match.
Also I need a PM, I don't want a pedal based PM and I didn't see a Campa crankset with PM, so it might be a problem here.
Also I frequently use the hood buttons on the Dura Ace shifters to change screens on my Garmin, a relly cool feature that is only available on Shimano :(

Back on the subject, unless something extraordinary doesn't happens, I am determined on Campa Bora wheelset, now the question is which set between Bora One 50 and Bora WTO 45, and maybe Bora Ultra 50, but I feel that the huge money difference between Ultra and One doesn't worth only for carbon hubs.
The Bora One/Ultra are lighter (yes, I climb a lot, actually I don't realy flats at all, so a light pair of wheels are welcome) but WTO 45 are new tech, wider, more up-to-date and support tubeless, which I use on my MTB for years and I'm quite happy.
I run on tubulars now, I had only one time a puncture that destroyed my tubular completly but fortunately what 500 meters from home. The problem is that always when I do a ride with the tubulars I'm quite stressed because I don't carry an exchange tubular with me, only some puncture solution, and we all know that sometimes the solution doesn't work always, so I would have a big big problem if this happens.. :roll:
So I'm tempted on a tubeless approach also on my road bike.

nismosr

by nismosr

I just build an F10 with wto 45 and veloflex corsa evo tlr 28mm

ImageF10 by nismosr, on Flickr
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

muntos wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:04 pm
Currently I run on Dura Ace DI2, it served my flawlessly for more that 4 years but I was tempted to try eTAP for the new build. Reading some reviews, speaking with some eTap owners I concluded that the "old" eTap is a no-go for me, maybe the new AXS eTap. But the problem with the AXS is that requires a different freehub and I would like to be able to swap the wheels from one bike to another.
So I decided to stick with Shimano, especially that the F10 frame has build-in support for DI2 junction unit.
But now I started looking at the Campa EPS Super Record (12 speed, even better that DI2), I don't know how it performs compared to DI2 but I feel that for a Pinarello with Bora wheels would be the best match.
Also I need a PM, I don't want a pedal based PM and I didn't see a Campa crankset with PM, so it might be a problem here.
Also I frequently use the hood buttons on the Dura Ace shifters to change screens on my Garmin, a relly cool feature that is only available on Shimano :(
When deciding between electric on a new frame, I went through the same selection dilemma and came out with very similar conclusions. I wanted AXS just to 'try something new'. But I chose Di2 because AXS required converting to XDR hubs, losing the hood buttons, and 'mushier' blip boxes (which can be converted to Di2 sprint shifters but still). If the hubs were more flexible, and hood buttons present, it would have been a much harder choice.

muntos wrote:
Back on the subject, unless something extraordinary doesn't happens, I am determined on Campa Bora wheelset, now the question is which set between Bora One 50 and Bora WTO 45, and maybe Bora Ultra 50, but I feel that the huge money difference between Ultra and One doesn't worth only for carbon hubs.
The Bora One/Ultra are lighter (yes, I climb a lot, actually I don't realy flats at all, so a light pair of wheels are welcome) but WTO 45 are new tech, wider, more up-to-date and support tubeless, which I use on my MTB for years and I'm quite happy.
I run on tubulars now, I had only one time a puncture that destroyed my tubular completly but fortunately what 500 meters from home. The problem is that always when I do a ride with the tubulars I'm quite stressed because I don't carry an exchange tubular with me, only some puncture solution, and we all know that sometimes the solution doesn't work always, so I would have a big big problem if this happens.. :roll:
I went through a similar thing with One50 vs WTO45/60. I also had both clinchers and tubs on the table, so I had 4 options. I eventually chose the WTO's, and my rational loosely went like this...

1. I initially left Ultra's off the table. I knew I had to decide between One vs WTO first. Why? Prioritizing clincher/tubular/2WayTubeless was the most important decision to lock first. If I chose the One's for the merits of either clincher or tubular, then I can bring the Ultra's back on the table and mentally debate if the weight savings, CULT bearings, and Ultra decal are worth the premium. If I wanted clincher/tubeless then the choice selects itself.

2. After spinning in circles about the pro's and con's we all already know about clincher/tub/tubeless, and going absolutely nowhere... I brought in aesthetics as the tie-breaker. Bora's have a carbon weave rim and the WTO's are glossy blacked-out look. Both good looking in their own way, but which looks better is a matter of opinion that can break the tie on all the factual stuff. On a frame set with interesting curves like the Dogma, I want all the attention to be drawn to the frame itself, instead of the 'bike as a whole'. If that makes sense. To do that I need rims that look simple and clean. So 2-way tubeless for me. Simple is less stress.

Your opinions on looks may vastly differ from mine and that's okay. The point is to bring subjective looks into the picture, if you are stuck unable to decide between indisputable facts.

muntos

by muntos

maxim809 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:34 pm
muntos wrote:
When deciding between electric on a new frame, I went through the same selection dilemma and came out with very similar conclusions. I wanted AXS just to 'try something new'. But I chose Di2 because AXS required converting to XDR hubs, losing the hood buttons, and 'mushier' blip boxes (which can be converted to Di2 sprint shifters but still). If the hubs were more flexible, and hood buttons present, it would have been a much harder choice.

muntos wrote:
I went through a similar thing with One50 vs WTO45/60. I also had both clinchers and tubs on the table, so I had 4 options. I eventually chose the WTO's, and my rational loosely went like this...

1. I initially left Ultra's off the table. I knew I had to decide between One vs WTO first. Why? Prioritizing clincher/tubular/2WayTubeless was the most important decision to lock first. If I chose the One's for the merits of either clincher or tubular, then I can bring the Ultra's back on the table and mentally debate if the weight savings, CULT bearings, and Ultra decal are worth the premium. If I wanted clincher/tubeless then the choice selects itself.

2. After spinning in circles about the pro's and con's we all already know about clincher/tub/tubeless, and going absolutely nowhere... I brought in aesthetics as the tie-breaker. Bora's have a carbon weave rim and the WTO's are glossy blacked-out look. Both good looking in their own way, but which looks better is a matter of opinion that can break the tie on all the factual stuff. On a frame set with interesting curves like the Dogma, I want all the attention to be drawn to the frame itself, instead of the 'bike as a whole'. If that makes sense. To do that I need rims that look simple and clean. So 2-way tubeless for me. Simple is less stress.

Your opinions on looks may vastly differ from mine and that's okay. The point is to bring subjective looks into the picture, if you are stuck unable to decide between indisputable facts.
Not quite, I pretty resonate with everything you said :D !

sfo423

by sfo423

Who is the go-to WTO dealer? Flip-flopping on WTO 45 vs. NSW 303 (disc)

bobones

by bobones

nismosr wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:54 pm
I just build an F10 with wto 45 and veloflex corsa evo tlr 28mm

ImageF10 by nismosr, on Flickr
Your bike looks stunning, but I just wonder if the dark WTOs are just a bit too understated and lacking the bling factor. They could almost be generic Chinese carbon rims in that photo. I am going back and forth trying to choose between light and dark WTO 60s for my De Rosa SK Pininfarina, and I just cannot make my mind up!

Interesting that Gaviria solved the dilemma by running one of each! :D

bobones

by bobones

I've just ordered the darks!

muntos

by muntos

Darks all the way :) !

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

I have recently built my f8 and was looking for a nice set of lightweight low profile wheels, decided on the ffwd f3r fcc. The newer ones are much wider then the older ones, tubless ready and the braking is as good as my exalith Mavic's. Running them with Continental gp5000 25mm, latex inner tubes. Tyre pressure are 75/80, supper smooth and loads of grip. I had a pair of the older 45mm ffwds, these are as fast much lighter and dont get affected by the wind.
Attachments
E4B4BBD5-C328-470C-BB3D-E7FBF5880562.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

I just replaced my Bora One 50mm with WTO 60mm on my Dogma.
Can't recommend Boras enough.
Attachments
IMG_4571.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 4.jpg