Need help with Enve (rim brake) braking

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I have a pair of current generation Enve 3.4 tubeless wheels. I run them with the provided black Enve brake pads and Cane Creek Gen 4 EE brakes. During moderate to strong braking they squeak worse than any wheel I've ever used. My mechanic has toed-in the EE brakes multiple times, cleaned the brake tracks and even sanded down the brake pads with zero improvement. Enve has suggested I switch to Enve grey pads to get rid of the squeak. Anyone with similar issue resolved switching brake pads?
Attachments
8F446E12-0A01-42AD-8678-5C1FC48584A3.jpeg
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Try a more exaggerated toein, say 1.5mm rather than the usual 0.5-1. It is too much to ride like this all the time but it would be interesting to know if it helps (it did for me on a real wheel)

Other than this, ime a likely offender is a resonance within the cable itself. In this case try to recable, trying to add or substract enough to make a difference. 5mm or so might not be enough....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

If you don't mind playing around, try zero or almost zero toe-in. When I first got my Farsports wheels I set them up with Campagnolo red pads. They screached horribly. After playing around I found that zero toe worked best and then as the pads bedded in to the rim they got even quieter.
Last edited by AJS914 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Just replaced the Enve pads with a pair of Black Prince. I'll find out on a ride tomorrow to see if it made a difference. If not, I'll take some of the suggestions here. Thanks for the input!
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:10 pm
Try a more exaggerated toein, say 1.5mm rather than the usual 0.5-1. It is too much to ride like this all the time but it would be interesting to know if it helps (it did for me on a real wheel)

Other than this, ime a likely offender is a resonance within the cable itself. In this case try to recable, trying to add or substract enough to make a difference. 5mm or so might not be enough....
I had a similar issue with my rim brakes. It was the resonance of the cable under heavy braking. Did a full recable with about 5mm of extra length, and it's perfect now.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Make everything is tight and there is no free play in any of the pivots. Vibration is a resonance issue. You need to change something in the cable, calipers, pads or wheels. Adding some vibration tape to the calipers or a zip tie to the cables could help too.
Ride fast Take chances

kode54

by kode54

On my older rim brake bikes...I used the gray pads with the gen2 braking surface. Pads wore out quicker than the black ones, but sound was alot less to no squealing.
Also, like others have suggested...a bit more toe-in helped as well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

njyeti

by njyeti

Second what kode54 said with toe in and the grey pads. Solved the same issue on my 2.2’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Its a resonance issue. Some people complain that my wheels squeal and proceed to change to non sanctioned pad and ruin the brake track. They don't understand resonance. Change the toe in to.more or less or cable length are ways to change the resonant frequency and bingo the squeal goes away.

You can't explain this to people who know it my wheels though because there other ones don't do it. Of course that only proves the resonant frequency in that case is different.

Have a play it an be cured. No toe in can work.

jnsv

by jnsv

Noctiluxx wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:56 pm
I have a pair of current generation Enve 3.4 tubeless wheels. I run them with the provided black Enve brake pads and Cane Creek Gen 4 EE brakes. During moderate to strong braking they squeak worse than any wheel I've ever used. My mechanic has toed-in the EE brakes multiple times, cleaned the brake tracks and even sanded down the brake pads with zero improvement. Enve has suggested I switch to Enve grey pads to get rid of the squeak. Anyone with similar issue resolved switching brake pads?
You are not alone. My 2.2 has been a nightmare. It's simply bullshit I have to do tinker with my brake pads to make them quieter. I too had more than one bike shop work to make them quiet without success. I have moved on to Zipp NSW and no issue and no special alignment of pads. Plug and play as it should be.
I eat and bike.

2014-R5-5.77 Kg
2014-Addict TI-5.75 Kg

kode54

by kode54

I did the switch to the gray pads and had no squeaks. Toe-in and clean pads regularly when I had them on the Parlee.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

montee

by montee

Resonance issues aside, how do you (and others) like the 3.4 clinchers?

Lillee

by Lillee

I am running exact same setup 3.4 Gen 2 with EE G4 brakes with envy pads without any issues, rear pads do eventually squeel slightly after very long braking periods but it's a rare event.

I wanted to point out that I t does make a very loud high pitched braking sound due to the brake track moulding (friend's comment that it sounds like a jet engine!) this is not to be confused with brake squeel?

Lastly I use Jagwire Elite Links rather than regular brake outer, this may have an effect (or eliminates) any resonance?

EE Brakes, with Gen 2 brake pads, Enve black pads and SRAM red Etap is as good if not better than using SRAM red Aerolink callipers.

But my other bike with Zipp 404 NSW's with showstoppers are still superior in my opinion.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Lillee wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:06 pm
I am running exact same setup 3.4 Gen 2 with EE G4 brakes with envy pads without any issues, rear pads do eventually squeel slightly after very long braking periods but it's a rare event.

I wanted to point out that I t does make a very loud high pitched braking sound due to the brake track moulding (friend's comment that it sounds like a jet engine!) this is not to be confused with brake squeel?

Lastly I use Jagwire Elite Links rather than regular brake outer, this may have an effect (or eliminates) any resonance?

EE Brakes, with Gen 2 brake pads, Enve black pads and SRAM red Etap is as good if not better than using SRAM red Aerolink callipers.

But my other bike with Zipp 404 NSW's with showstoppers are still superior in my opinion.
I had two different sets of Enves with the textured brake track, and indeed they were excellent for carbon braking. I'd compare the sound to something like corduroy rubbing together, or your hand across a screen door - not high pitched or rough, jsut kind of whirring.

As for the brake squeal - I think a decent amount might be due to the EEbrakes themselves. They're so light that any resonance generated from braking just cannot get damped by mass. Similar to how the really light weight disc rotors are noisier than heavier models.
See old video here which shows adding mass damping the resonant frequencies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji-Ed6iPxSk

jj911c2

by jj911c2

I had the same issue with 3.4s and Enve recommended switching to grey pads. It fixed the noise for me -- but pads wear out faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com