Too light? Or should be fine?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nm1213

by nm1213

I’m trying to decide between two types of wheels as a lightweight upgrade:

The specs are similar but one is more than 100g lighter. How come? Both have the same rider weight limit, the same hubs, spokes etc.

25mm, DT Swiss 240 exp, x-ray spokes, 24/24:

https://www.wheelsfar.com/feder-disc-26 ... p0050.html

And:

https://www.lightbicycle.com/New-Gen-Ae ... tible.html

Would you think the lighter option (farsports) is still stiff and reliable enough? Or should I go for the Light Bicycle option?

Rider weight is 85-88kg, and it will be use as a smooth road commuter. I’ve asked farsports and they say it will be just fine.

Wanted a second opinion and some advice though.

Aeo

by Aeo

Get Farsports, the rims have no spoke holes in the rim so you will not need tubeless tape. The Lightbicycle rim is an older design
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

You can have no hole version from LB as well. Just ask for it.
It is best to consult with them. I did and they offered me as the best solution some sort of lighter rim by adding mix of T800 carbon fiber but not the lightweight version.

nm1213

by nm1213

I did contact LB, and rims without holes aren't possible at 25mm. Have to go up to 35mm for that option.

Furthermore LB's flyweight isn't an option as I'm too heavy. However Farsports says my weight isn't a problem and their wheels come in at 1180gm compared with 1322gm for light bicycle.

Will the farsports ones be stiff and reliable enough?

Lakal

by Lakal

I would contact farsports to confirm the weight estimate. The website says my Feder 45x28mm with 240EXP weight should be 1350g. I wrote with Windy from farsports and she said 1290g. The real weight is 1315g.

nm1213

by nm1213

Hi Lakal, yes, farsports did confirm around 1180 for the 25mm deep, 26mm wide Feder with 240exp.

Seems rather light to be able to support a specified rider weight of 120kg. I'm nowhere near that but still worried about durability.

Aesch

by Aesch

[qu ote=nm1213 post_id=1591555 time=1596201076 user_id=87713]
Hi Lakal, yes, farsports did confirm around 1180 for the 25mm deep, 26mm wide Feder with 240exp.

Seems rather light to be able to support a specified rider weight of 120kg. I'm nowhere near that but still worried about durability.
[/quote]

Did you buy feders or LB?

Currently considering similar options and the Feder wheels stand out as a significantly lighter option compared to everything.
Have not found negative experiences so far but still, I'm looking for as many positive notes before pulling the trigger on a 2x24h wheelset at 95kg system weight. Thanks!

Marin

by Marin

Build with CX-Sprint at your weight.

Aesch

by Aesch

Marin wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:10 am
Build with CX-Sprint at your weight.
All spokes cx sprint? Or just drive side rear wheel you recon?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

It's best not to confuse rider weight capacity and stiffness. They might be correlated but a high weight doesn't mean an above average performing wheel.

Aesch

by Aesch

alcatraz wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:18 am
It's best not to confuse rider weight capacity and stiffness. They might be correlated but a high weight doesn't mean an above average performing wheel.
Can you Explain how to look at this then? Thanks!

And would you advise cx sprint combination or all around? Or a different view altogether?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I build quite flexy wheels myself so I'm not very familiar with the best hubs. A spoke is only as good as the geometry of the hub allows it to be. A flexy wheel can still carry a lot of weight. A single lightweight spoke can withstand over 250kg tension before it fails. That's my body weight times four. :)

How much stiffness do you need, is a good question to try and answer.

How much sprinting, fast descent cornering, out of saddle climbing etc do you do? How much do you weigh? What's your ftp and your 5 second max power?

How sensitive are you to flexy wheels? Are you looking for performance first or lightweight first? Then perhaps we can recommend you some components that will fit your needs.

Lightweight branded wheels are very stiff and light but very expensive. They also have some shortcomings. It's hard to get the best of both worlds, but some wheels come closer than others.

Aesch

by Aesch

alcatraz wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:38 am
I build quite flexy wheels myself so I'm not very familiar with the best hubs. A spoke is only as good as the geometry of the hub allows it to be. A flexy wheel can still carry a lot of weight. A single lightweight spoke can withstand over 250kg tension before it fails. That's my body weight times four. :)

How much stiffness do you need, is a good question to try and answer.

How much sprinting, fast descent cornering, out of saddle climbing etc do you do? How much do you weigh? What's your ftp and your 5 second max power?

How sensitive are you to flexy wheels? Are you looking for performance first or lightweight first? Then perhaps we can recommend you some components that will fit your needs.

Lightweight branded wheels are very stiff and light but very expensive. They also have some shortcomings. It's hard to get the best of both worlds, but some wheels come closer than others.
Thanks for your clear elaboration!!

I'm looking for a comfortable wheelset first and foremost. Trying to combine light weight, reasonable height (@45mm) and durability with comfort. After every next article or comment I read my mind goes from 24fr and 24re will be fine to I need 28h both ways minimum.

To answer your questions (which I understand are hypothetical but still :D), I'm somewhere between 82 and 84kg, ftp @ ~4w/kg (320 ish), like to ride fast, use the wheels for climbing etc. but no racing, sprinting or terribly bad roads. Will use 28mm tyres and latex tubes.

All in all I think I'll settle for:
Road = 24h front and 24h rear wheel, carbon ti hubs, rear combination of sprint and Ray.
Gravel = 28h front and rear, to be decided later on how proceed.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Comfort is going to come from your tires, not flex in the wheel. Pick the rim width carefully as you'll get the best performance when the rim width matches the tire width and creates a smooth transition. If you're crosswind sensitive then choose the rim profile carefully.

It sounds like you're a strong rider but that doesn't really stress the wheels too much. I guess you could be satisfied with a lighter wheelset. There's low risk of disappointment sort of speak. However you didn't answer the question about fast cornering? Light wheelsets often aren't confidence inspiring when doing sharp turns at high speed.

Carbon ti disc brake hubs are quite well designed. Like you said, you have the option to go 24/24 or 28/28 with light or medium spokes.

24/24 with medium spokes will perform similarly to 28/28 with light spokes, but look a bit "better".

Spokes are a pretty bad place to save weight. The total weight saving between light (4gr) and medium (5gr) is not even 50gr for the whole wheelset. The wheelset will feel quite a lot more solid with the medium spokes. If you look at zipp/campy wheels they all use quite massive spokes. Doesn't mean you have to too, but if you want performance to be at all comparable then maybe don't do a low spoke count lightweight spoke build.

28/28 with medium spokes (5gr) would produce a very respectable performing set of wheels, with carbon ti disc brake hubs. In a way future proof should you go touring or become stronger, or pick up some bad riding habits hehe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aesch

by Aesch

alcatraz wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:15 pm
Comfort is going to come from your tires, not flex in the wheel. Pick the rim width carefully as you'll get the best performance when the rim width matches the tire width and creates a smooth transition. If you're crosswind sensitive then choose the rim profile carefully.

It sounds like you're a strong rider but that doesn't really stress the wheels too much. I guess you could be satisfied with a lighter wheelset. There's low risk of disappointment sort of speak. However you didn't answer the question about fast cornering? Light wheelsets often aren't confidence inspiring when doing sharp turns at high speed.

Carbon ti disc brake hubs are quite well designed. Like you said, you have the option to go 24/24 or 28/28 with light or medium spokes.

24/24 with medium spokes will perform similarly to 28/28 with light spokes, but look a bit "better".

Spokes are a pretty bad place to save weight. The total weight saving between light (4gr) and medium (5gr) is not even 50gr for the whole wheelset. The wheelset will feel quite a lot more solid with the medium spokes. If you look at zipp/campy wheels they all use quite massive spokes. Doesn't mean you have to too, but if you want performance to be at all comparable then maybe don't do a low spoke count lightweight spoke build.

28/28 with medium spokes (5gr) would produce a very respectable performing set of wheels, with carbon ti disc brake hubs. In a way future proof should you go touring or become stronger, or pick up some bad riding habits hehe.
Thanks again! In response tot the question I missed : no really high speed cornering on my part. Speed mostly in a straight line. "future" work might include some climbs and descents but I'm no Sagan or Nibali :wink:

I'll see how the wheelset holds up.

For the 28h rims I've got my eyes on a pair of "erase" hubs, they look like a well thought out set for 28h builds (geometry wise and Jbend spokes).

I guess I'll be asking some questions in the "wheelbuilding" post to help out with calculations for spoke lengths etc :P