Too light? Or should be fine?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If you like the look of 24h, then 5gr spokes like cx-sprint would make a medium allround wheel. Light too. (like Marin said)

If you go with other hubs it's good if the flanges are larger in diameter, and spaced generously apart. Crossed spokes on both sides for better torque transfer (braking).

I'm a fan of J-bend for it's simplicity but if performance were my main aim I'd go with straightpull.

Aesch

by Aesch

[quote=alcatraz post_id=1674602 time=1620808024 user_id=68231]
Il
[/quote]

Yeah that's the idea now. Go for cx-Sprint all round on the 24+24 with carbon ti hubs wheelset (I will never feel the difference between a weight of say 1380 vs 1420 gr...)
Better to do it right from the start.

For the second wheelset:
Any suggestions for 28h straight pull centerlock hubs? Carbon ti only does 6 bolt.

Dt swiss only for 350 and 180 strangely enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Second wheelset? I read through your posts again but I must have missed something. Excuse me.

I know it's annoying that they don't make a 28h centerlock hub. Personally I'd probably just go with 6 hole and put one of those lighter and reportedly superior xtr rotors on.

Aesch

by Aesch

alcatraz wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:26 pm
You have been very helpful and your thoughts have helped me a lot!
Sorry for being unclear, bit due to my " hijacking" of this topic I guess. I'm in the process of ordering a wheelset to be used for road, since this is transported anyway I thought I might order a pair of rims too (since transport for me in Europe nearly doubles the price otherwise).

This would give me a chance to order a road wheelset with a comfort/looks/weight (24+24 and 45mm height/28mm width with 28mm tyres) combo and then build myself a strong "rough roads" (28+28, 35mm height, 24 ish internal width and 36ish tyres) wheelset. Since the rims drop from 400euro to 200euro ish range a pair it fits the budget and allows me to fiddle with building a wheel myself :wink:

Anyway, those were my thoughts after reading everything I did so far :)
Thanks again for all your insight and advice!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Hey, I'm doing the same thing. I got so many wheels now it's crazy. You can build to your heart's desire when prices are low. :)

You sound like you have it all well thought out. Just don't fall for the "big brand" trap. They make low performing stuff too.

Big diameter and wide spaced flanges, and straightpull = performance. Going 28h or heavy spokes on an average hub doesn't necessarily mean endurance/stiff.

If your next question is, which are the best hubs, I can't really help. Look at what's available and pick something that follows the guidelines I mentioned. 24h with good geometry can be endurance too. And 28h with poor geometry can be underwhelming.

I'm cheap and a hopeless weightweenie so I go for the bad hubs. But one day I'll make a really good wheelset and not obsess about weight. :thumbup:

Aesch

by Aesch

:D :thumbup: